Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major earthquake in Haiti

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

    Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Oh god, make it stop.

    This thread is not about Pat Robertson.
    THANK YOU!

    100k people might be dead and this is what you hold a ****ing contest over. Classy!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

      Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      THANK YOU!

      100k people might be dead and this is what you hold a ****ing contest over. Classy!
      Meh, what's the point of sitting around and going "oh that's so awful." "I feel bad for these people." Paying lip service to a catastrophe does what exactly? It spreads what's happening, but so does pointing out scumbags like Robertson.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

        If you are looking to help- the obvious is the Red Cross- who have already said that they have run out of materials.

        Another- Doctors Without Borders- I'm sure you have heard of them. They have thier mobile hospitals already on site.

        There was another doctor group I heard about this morning- listening to NPR's report, the reporter flew down with a group of doctors who were helping people within min of landing in Port au Prince.

        What I'm more "nervous" about is the outlying areas- so far all of the reports have been from Port au Prince, since the reporters can't really get out of there. I bet there's a lot of distruction for miles outside of what's being currently reported...

        If Haiti is like the other islands I've visited, concrete block is the most common construction, and they don't seem to use much mortar... ouch.

        The US is in with both feet- but I'm sure the medical organizations who are there providing relief can use $$ help to buy supplies.

        I have a car buddy who's haitian. Hopefully, his friends and family who still live there are ok....

        Just stunning.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

          Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Oh god, make it stop.

          This thread is not about Pat Robertson.
          You're right. And my apologies for the part I played in hijacking it.
          Bronco Hockey Blog

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

            Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            If you are looking to help- the obvious is the Red Cross- who have already said that they have run out of materials.

            the red cross is the best charity to donate to. as far as i know, they have the lowest overhead costs of any charity and that means the most amount of each dollar contributed (over 90%) goes to actually helping victims.
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

            Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

            Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

              Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              One of my good friends at school is in the same situation as of last night. He just flew back from Haiti this past weekend, ironically.
              He has heard from family and friends today and although food is running low, he hasn't lost anybody from the quake.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                the red cross is the best charity to donate to. as far as i know, they have the lowest overhead costs of any charity and that means the most amount of each dollar contributed (over 90%) goes to actually helping victims.
                They also have their own distribution networks, which means they don't rely on the local government. In countries like Haiti, that's about the only way to know your money is really getting to the site.

                If there's a "silver lining" (and admittedly that's hard to imagine) it's that Haiti was already so effed there must be NGOs operating throughout the country; more experienced people to help the aid effort (assuming they're not buried under the same buildings).
                Last edited by Kepler; 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                  Interesting story here from 2008.
                  Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

                  Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                    Doctors withour Borders

                    Red Cross

                    The doctors will be in high need for the next couple of weeks, the Red Cross- considerably longer.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                      We are going on a cruise in July to the Western Carribbean for our honeymoon, one of the stops is Labade. Wonder how that will turn out.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

                      WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                        Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                        Meh, what's the point of sitting around and going "oh that's so awful." "I feel bad for these people." Paying lip service to a catastrophe does what exactly? It spreads what's happening, but so does pointing out scumbags like Robertson.
                        paying "lip service" keeps it top of mind. keeps it in the news. keeps the money coming. keeps the prayers coming. keeps the politicals interested. keeps the volunteers coming. gets Hollywood interested in fund raising.

                        yeah you bet I'm paying lip service. these poor poor people need anything they can get right now.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

                        Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                          The country ought to just be a long term UN/US, something protectorate at this point. It was a disaster zone *before* this. There's no trees, practically no topsoil for farming, and the only thing the country produced was more Haitians and disease. It's a warmer version of a Mars colony, with uneducated people instead of scientists.

                          *****http://www.wehaitians.com/a_haitian_a.jpg******

                          That was *before*.

                          Throw in this disaster, and I can't imagine the country being able to govern itself before 2030.

                          Going in now, cleaning things up and then finding whatever government employee survived this mess and handing things back isn't doing anyone any favors.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


                          Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                            This is basically one of several natural disasters that has happened in the last couple of years. I don't think they'd even really begun to recover fro Hurricane Jeanne.

                            And now that the president of Haiti is homeless, too, this is nothing short of nation building anymore.
                            Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                            My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                              Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              The country ought to just be a long term UN/US, something protectorate at this point. It was a disaster zone *before* this. There's no trees, practically no topsoil for farming, and the only thing the country produced was more Haitians and disease. It's a warmer version of a Mars colony, with uneducated people instead of scientists.

                              *****http://www.wehaitians.com/a_haitian_a.jpg******

                              That was *before*.

                              Throw in this disaster, and I can't imagine the country being able to govern itself before 2030.

                              Going in now, cleaning things up and then finding whatever government employee survived this mess and handing things back isn't doing anyone any favors.
                              Its tough to overstate how poverty stricken this country is. It would be one of the poorer countries in sub-saharan Africa and by some measures I've seen its the poorest country (measured by things in addition to gdp per capita) in the world.

                              My friend, somebody who graduated near the top of his Top 20 law school, is quite sure he would've died in port au prince through disease or gunfire had his mother not crossed the somewhat militarized border into the Dominican Republic and then across to Miami. Its a country where even the best and the brightest have almost no hope of a better life if they don't leave.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Major earthquake in Haiti

                                Just saw a report on CBS that the enterprising and heartless scammers are already hard at work stealing donations, not that should come as a surprise. Obviously it makes sense to give to the major organizations such as those already mentioned here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X