X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google: Up Yours, China

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...-to-china.html

1/12/2010 03:00:00 PM
    Like many other well-known organizations, we face cyber attacks of varying degrees on a regular basis. In mid-December, we detected a highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property from Google. However, it soon became clear that what at first appeared to be solely a security incident--albeit a significant one--was something quite different.

First, this attack was not just on Google. As part of our investigation we have discovered that at least twenty other large companies from a wide range of businesses--including the Internet, finance, technology, media and chemical sectors--have been similarly targeted. We are currently in the process of notifying those companies, and we are also working with the relevant U.S. authorities.

Second, we have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. Based on our investigation to date we believe their attack did not achieve that objective. Only two Gmail accounts appear to have been accessed, and that activity was limited to account information (such as the date the account was created) and subject line, rather than the content of emails themselves.

Third, as part of this investigation but independent of the attack on Google, we have discovered that the accounts of dozens of U.S.-, China- and Europe-based Gmail users who are advocates of human rights in China appear to have been routinely accessed by third parties. These accounts have not been accessed through any security breach at Google, but most likely via phishing scams or malware placed on the users' computers.

We have already used information gained from this attack to make infrastructure and architectural improvements that enhance security for Google and for our users. In terms of individual users, we would advise people to deploy reputable anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on their computers, to install patches for their operating systems and to update their web browsers. Always be cautious when clicking on links appearing in instant messages and emails, or when asked to share personal information like passwords online. You can read more here about our cyber-security recommendations. People wanting to learn more about these kinds of attacks can read this U.S. government report (PDF), Nart Villeneuve's blog and this presentation on the GhostNet spying incident.

We have taken the unusual step of sharing information about these attacks with a broad audience not just because of the security and human rights implications of what we have unearthed, but also because this information goes to the heart of a much bigger global debate about freedom of speech. In the last two decades, China's economic reform programs and its citizens' entrepreneurial flair have lifted hundreds of millions of Chinese people out of poverty. Indeed, this great nation is at the heart of much economic progress and development in the world today.

We launched Google.cn in January 2006 in the belief that the benefits of increased access to information for people in China and a more open Internet outweighed our discomfort in agreeing to censor some results. At the time we made clear that "we will carefully monitor conditions in China, including new laws and other restrictions on our services. If we determine that we are unable to achieve the objectives outlined we will not hesitate to reconsider our approach to China."

These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered--combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the web--have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China. We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

The decision to review our business operations in China has been incredibly hard, and we know that it will have potentially far-reaching consequences. We want to make clear that this move was driven by our executives in the United States, without the knowledge or involvement of our employees in China who have worked incredibly hard to make Google.cn the success it is today. We are committed to working responsibly to resolve the very difficult issues raised.

Posted by David Drummond, SVP, Corporate Development and Chief Legal Officer
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Re: Google: Up Yours, China

Props to them for having the balls to do something like this...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Google isn't the most major browser in China anyway - there's a Chinese search engine that's bigger, though I forget its name. Something tells me that beyond the humanitarian aspect, Google figures that either it can break open the Chinese market, or it isn't losing much by the attempt.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        Let's see if that office actually closes up shop before we start heaping praise on mere rhetoric.

Comment

Don't Be Evil ... (unless we can make some money on the deal)
          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Have some fun!

Step #1: Visit www.baidu.com. (The #1 search engine in mainland China)
            Step #2: Search for Google or blogspot.com. Note that both work.
            Step #3: Now search for google.blogspot.com.
            Step #4: Enjoy your Baidu lockout.

I believe searching for "6/4" (六四) also gets you blocked.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Hey, props to Google!

I don't think they're doing it for altruistic reasons, but it's good to hear of a company standing up to a pattern of Chinese online aggression!

I hope this might set a trend. Probably not, but here's to hoping.
              PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Have some fun!

Step #1: Visit www.baidu.com. (The #1 search engine in mainland China)
                Step #2: Search for Google or blogspot.com. Note that both work.
                Step #3: Now search for google.blogspot.com.
                Step #4: Enjoy your Baidu lockout.

I believe searching for "6/4" (六四) also gets you blocked.
                Haha. Funny.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by gregg729 View Post
                  it's good to hear of a company standing up to a pattern of Chinese online aggression!
                  Originally posted by Walter Sobchak
                  The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude
                    Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here. This is a guy...
                    What the **** are you...?
                    Originally posted by The Dude
                    Walter, he peed on my rug!
                    Originally posted by Donny
                    He peed on the Dude's rug.
                    Donny you're out of your element! Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here!
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                      Google isn't the most major browser in China anyway - there's a Chinese search engine that's bigger, though I forget its name. Something tells me that beyond the humanitarian aspect, Google figures that either it can break open the Chinese market, or it isn't losing much by the attempt.
                      The one thing I will say is that Google is becoming a front for quick academic reference which is a big deal on the academic side of things if you want to find books and papers, especially in the English language. I know I use Google often to find mathematical formulae and properties of statistical distributions. i don't know much about Baidu but I know Google has become a popular alternative to JSTOR or other journal search engines. As such, China shutting off Google could be a hinderance to intra-China researchers.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                      X