X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goldy_331
    replied
    Re: SI's 100 Greatest Moments In Sports History

I didn't see the first swimsuit issue even in the list?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Bill Mazeroski's in 1960

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It was a pretty lame list. Very American centric (which is understandable) but, in my opinion, waaaaay too much focus on stuff like college basketball and the NFL.
    Agreed. I can think of a number of events from Olympics -- Franz Klammer's incredible downhill run in Innsbruck in 1972 jumped immediately to mind.

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Not a fan of the Braves or the Twins and I concur on the call of bullcrap. The 91 series was one of the best ever, better than any series since, and the Morris performance in game 7 is an all-time series great. I don't know where you put it, but come on, it has to be among the top 100. You can make an argument for the Puckett homer too. How many walk off series homers are there anyway?
    Joe Carter's in 93 and Bill Mazeroski's in 1960

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, if you were doing a global list it would have 95 soccer moments and 5 from the Olympics.
    Not necessarily. You'd have a smattering of moments from other sports like rugby, cricket, F1 and the like but stuff like the NBA and the NHL are popular (plus tennis and boxing).

Of global moments I'd put on the list I'd say

South Africa winning the Rugby World Cup
    Ayrton Senna and one of his world titles
    The Swedish Postage Stamp (aka Forsberg in 1994)
    Australia qualifying for the 2006 World Cup

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It was a pretty lame list. Very American centric (which is understandable) but, in my opinion, waaaaay too much focus on stuff like college basketball and the NFL.
    Well, if you were doing a global list it would have 95 soccer moments and 5 from the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Call me a homer, but not naming Puckett in Game 6 or Morris in Game 7 of the 1991 WS is complete bullcrap.
    Not a fan of the Braves or the Twins and I concur on the call of bullcrap. The 91 series was one of the best ever, better than any series since, and the Morris performance in game 7 is an all-time series great. I don't know where you put it, but come on, it has to be among the top 100. You can make an argument for the Puckett homer too. How many walk off series homers are there anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

They did name quite a few hockey moments, and let's face it every time a list like this is created it's going to get criticized. Not only for a few obvious misses, but then the hundreds of near misses as well. Like I said missing the 1991 WS might be totally biased, although not biased it is always named one of the best WS of all time. Hell, I would name this over the Pele event listed because I watched it live and it would dwarf the SS in recognition. During a time when soccer was but a blip in the US and it was a big event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqmaJXdtr4

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Call me a homer, but not naming Puckett in Game 6 or Morris in Game 7 of the 1991 WS is complete bullcrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dig7fkSg6EY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwslgROrMRE
    I figured Morris' game 7 would've been there too. Ah well.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dig7fkSg6EY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwslgROrMRE
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-12-2016, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Agreed. Changed the course of hockey on this side of the Atlantic. Plus, it was one heck of a series!
    That it was. Have the full series on DVD (official, not bootleg). What the players thought of the series going in, and seeing the completely different style of play, that we take for granted in today's hockey...amazing.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    I'll give #1 to the Miracle on Ice. No problem with that.

The Canada-Soviet Summit Series at 70? What an absolute crock.
    Agreed. Changed the course of hockey on this side of the Atlantic. Plus, it was one heck of a series!

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    I'll give #1 to the Miracle on Ice. No problem with that.

The Canada-Soviet Summit Series at 70? What an absolute crock.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    started a topic SI's 100 Greatest Moments In Sports History

SI's 100 Greatest Moments In Sports History

For your perusal.

http://www.si.com/specials/100-greatest/
Working...
X