X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: 2016 Academy Awards - 2/28/2016

IIRC, the details of the ending were presented 3 different ways (book, Swedish, American). All had major components in who the missing girl was. It's been a while (and many movies/books inbetween), so correct me if I'm wrong. The end result was the same, but how they got there were the differences.

Anyway, starting the 2015 Oscar run with Bridge Of Spies tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Didn't see the American version. The Swedish version was absolute ****. It completely changed the ending, which was the most important part of the book. They also changed a number of incredibly important details. Things that altered fundamental details and relationships.
    Yep, agree completely.

Also, I don't see Leo winning as "the Academy throwing him a bone". Leo's performance in The Revenant was very, very good. It was definitely an Oscar worthy performance.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Didn't really have any skin in the game. Very disappointed Lady Gaga didn't win though. She clearly should have. Big old people snub there.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    BTW, none of Leo's Oscar losses are really all that bad.

Supporting Actor for What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive.

Best Actor for The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street? Jaimie Foxx in Ray, Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland and Matthew McCaughnanotspellingitright for Dallas Buyers Club, respectively. None of those are really losses one could complain about. Really you have more of a case for him being snubbed by not being nominated for some of his other Scorsese movies or Catch Me If You Can (granted, I have yet to double check who won those years) than you do saying he should've won one before now.
    Here is an interesting analysis of the argument that he deserved it: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...interrogation/

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Which version? American or Swedish? I thought the Swedish version was truer to the book (and full disclosure: they actually did the trilogy).
    Didn't see the American version. The Swedish version was absolute ****. It completely changed the ending, which was the most important part of the book. They also changed a number of incredibly important details. Things that altered fundamental details and relationships.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Where does one go to listen to fangirls? I don't think Ive heard them before so thankfully I must be avoiding your sources.
    You don't get out much, then.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Good; we can finally stop listening to the fangirls b*tching how it's so "unfair" that Leo hasn't won an Oscar.
    Where does one go to listen to fangirls? I don't think Ive heard them before so thankfully I must be avoiding your sources.

As for TGWTDT not only was the US version closer to the book but (a huge rarity) it was the better film. too bad they're stopping at one.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-29-2016, 01:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bostonewe
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    My favorite moment of the awards was Ennio Morricone FINALLY winning. Yeah, I know he got an honorary trophy a while back, but he finally just did it. So awesome. I was screaming about how sweet it was and everyone was looking at me like I'm nuts. I brought up all the movies he's done this for, and they were also blown away that he hadn't won before. Congratulations on finally truly getting the big one, sir.
    There was a crappy rom-com with Jack Black and Kate Winslet (side story with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz) where Jack Black was a composer for the movies. He pays tribute to Morricone during the movie -- talks about how he's absolutely one of the best. I'd never heard of him before (but when I looked him up, I'd heard tons of his stuff).

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

My favorite moment of the awards was Ennio Morricone FINALLY winning. Yeah, I know he got an honorary trophy a while back, but he finally just did it. So awesome. I was screaming about how sweet it was and everyone was looking at me like I'm nuts. I brought up all the movies he's done this for, and they were also blown away that he hadn't won before. Congratulations on finally truly getting the big one, sir.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 02-29-2016, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    It's just bad timing. Cripes Amy Adams had been nominated just as many times without a win before tonight. Glenn Close still wins with six nominations without a win.

Also, Leo now has a better winning percentage than Peter O'Toole. 1 win with 8 nominations.
    I love Amy Adams, but she isn't half the actor that Leo is. Dang.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

It's just bad timing. Cripes Amy Adams had been nominated just as many times without a win before tonight. Glenn Close still wins with six nominations without a win.

Also, Leo now has a better winning percentage than Peter O'Toole. 1 win with 8 nominations.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 02-29-2016, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Supporting Actor for What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive.

Best Actor for The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street? Jaimie Foxx in Ray, Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland and Matthew McCaughnanotspellingitright for Dallas Buyers Club, respectively. None of those are really losses one could complain about. Really you have more of a case for him being snubbed by not being nominated for some of his other Scorsese movies or Catch Me If You Can (granted, I have yet to double check who won those years) than you do saying he should've won one before now.
    Haven't seen Last King, but love Forest, so take your word for that. It's just odd that Leo hasn't won before. I mean...helluva actor.....

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You know what movie was ****ing awful compared to the book?

The girl with the dragon tattoo.

The movie just **** all over the book.
    Which version? American or Swedish? I thought the Swedish version was truer to the book (and full disclosure: they actually did the trilogy).

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Good; we can finally stop listening to the fangirls b*tching how it's so "unfair" that Leo hasn't won an Oscar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X