2016 Academy Awards - 2/28/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Academy Awards - 2/28/2016

Didn't see Spotlight winning. Leo won, so that garbage can finally stop.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Didn't see Spotlight winning. Leo won, so that garbage can finally stop.
      I'm not shocked about Spotlight. I would like to say I'm shocked about Leo, but I'm not. Too many times he was *that close* and didn't win. The Academy decided to finally throw him a bone.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I'm not shocked about Spotlight. I would like to say I'm shocked about Leo, but I'm not. Too many times he was *that close* and didn't win. The Academy decided to finally throw him a bone.
        Revenant is a ways down the queue. Just started reading the book, and I always like to unfairly compare movies to books. My wife hates that. Especially when we're watching a movie and I say 'Well, in the book, ...'
        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

You know what movie was ****ing awful compared to the book?

The girl with the dragon tattoo.

The movie just **** all over the book.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Good; we can finally stop listening to the fangirls b*tching how it's so "unfair" that Leo hasn't won an Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              You know what movie was ****ing awful compared to the book?

The girl with the dragon tattoo.

The movie just **** all over the book.
              Which version? American or Swedish? I thought the Swedish version was truer to the book (and full disclosure: they actually did the trilogy).
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

BTW, none of Leo's Oscar losses are really all that bad.

Supporting Actor for What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive.

Best Actor for The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street? Jaimie Foxx in Ray, Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland and Matthew McCaughnanotspellingitright for Dallas Buyers Club, respectively. None of those are really losses one could complain about. Really you have more of a case for him being snubbed by not being nominated for some of his other Scorsese movies or Catch Me If You Can (granted, I have yet to double check who won those years) than you do saying he should've won one before now.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  BTW, none of Leo's Oscar losses are really all that bad.

Supporting Actor for What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive.

Best Actor for The Aviator, Blood Diamond and Wolf of Wall Street? Jaimie Foxx in Ray, Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland and Matthew McCaughnanotspellingitright for Dallas Buyers Club, respectively. None of those are really losses one could complain about. Really you have more of a case for him being snubbed by not being nominated for some of his other Scorsese movies or Catch Me If You Can (granted, I have yet to double check who won those years) than you do saying he should've won one before now.
                  Haven't seen Last King, but love Forest, so take your word for that. It's just odd that Leo hasn't won before. I mean...helluva actor.....

Comment

It's just bad timing. Cripes Amy Adams had been nominated just as many times without a win before tonight. Glenn Close still wins with six nominations without a win.

Also, Leo now has a better winning percentage than Peter O'Toole. 1 win with 8 nominations.
                    Last edited by state of hockey; 02-29-2016, 12:05 AM.

Comment

It's just bad timing. Cripes Amy Adams had been nominated just as many times without a win before tonight. Glenn Close still wins with six nominations without a win.

Also, Leo now has a better winning percentage than Peter O'Toole. 1 win with 8 nominations.
                      I love Amy Adams, but she isn't half the actor that Leo is. Dang.

Comment

My favorite moment of the awards was Ennio Morricone FINALLY winning. Yeah, I know he got an honorary trophy a while back, but he finally just did it. So awesome. I was screaming about how sweet it was and everyone was looking at me like I'm nuts. I brought up all the movies he's done this for, and they were also blown away that he hadn't won before. Congratulations on finally truly getting the big one, sir.
                        Last edited by state of hockey; 02-29-2016, 12:31 AM.

Comment

My favorite moment of the awards was Ennio Morricone FINALLY winning. Yeah, I know he got an honorary trophy a while back, but he finally just did it. So awesome. I was screaming about how sweet it was and everyone was looking at me like I'm nuts. I brought up all the movies he's done this for, and they were also blown away that he hadn't won before. Congratulations on finally truly getting the big one, sir.
                          There was a crappy rom-com with Jack Black and Kate Winslet (side story with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz) where Jack Black was a composer for the movies. He pays tribute to Morricone during the movie -- talks about how he's absolutely one of the best. I'd never heard of him before (but when I looked him up, I'd heard tons of his stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Good; we can finally stop listening to the fangirls b*tching how it's so "unfair" that Leo hasn't won an Oscar.
                            Where does one go to listen to fangirls? I don't think Ive heard them before so thankfully I must be avoiding your sources.

As for TGWTDT not only was the US version closer to the book but (a huge rarity) it was the better film. too bad they're stopping at one.
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-29-2016, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Where does one go to listen to fangirls? I don't think Ive heard them before so thankfully I must be avoiding your sources.
                              You don't get out much, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Which version? American or Swedish? I thought the Swedish version was truer to the book (and full disclosure: they actually did the trilogy).
                                Didn't see the American version. The Swedish version was absolute ****. It completely changed the ending, which was the most important part of the book. They also changed a number of incredibly important details. Things that altered fundamental details and relationships.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X