Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - Primary season! Duck (questions) season!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - Primary season! Duck (questions) season!

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
    I have to wonder if Matthew Weiner wouldn't have been in position to have made a run, had he not sent those dick pics. He seemed like a real rising star of the leftish before he resigned.
    Anthony. I think Matt Weiner is the guy who did Mad Men.

But for prez? No way.

Weiner and Spitzer are the Doc and Straw of NY politics. The sky was the limit and they really had juice and chops (beg pardon), and they BLEW IT, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. Like Gary Hart -- what idiots. Very frustrating.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Orr. He had a plan.
      I like to think Orr made it, and was the father of George Orr in The Lathe of Heaven.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
        I have to wonder if Matthew Weiner wouldn't have been in position to have made a run, had he not sent those dick pics. He seemed like a real rising star of the leftish before he resigned.
        You mean Anthony?

He always wanted to be mayor of NYC.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          You mean Anthony?

He always wanted to be mayor of NYC.
          I knew I had that wrong, just finished Mad Men last week

Comment

More even handed article about Clinton vs Sanders for black voters...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...voters/470646/
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Even more even handed article about Sanders vs Clinton for black voters...

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...y-from-clinton
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Camile Paglia is as nutty as Kepler, and that's saying something. This is why I fear they stopped handing out weed at Sanders rallies and started handing out peyote!

But you bring up a good point, which is Sanders supporters are as into ridiculous conspiracy theories as the typical Glenn Beck follower. The media is in the tank for Clinton?!?!? Ooookaaayyyyy.....

On a list of, who gets the most kid-glove treatment from the media it goes like this:

1) Marco Rubio. Empty suit. Boring. Got crushed in key debate. Has yet to win a state even in his backyard. But, he's the frontrunner.
                2) Bernie Sanders. At least he's won a state. No mainstream coverage of the utter absurdity of his proposals which put Mittens Romney's tax proposals to shame.
                3) John Kasich. Getting the Republican Jesus treatment. No mention of anti-women legislation nor being a Gingrich foot soldier. Looks and acts like corpse during debates.
                4) Ben Carson. Stories of how nuts he is tend to have a lighthearted chuckle about them. Maybe because he's in no danger of being a serious contender.
                5) Ted Cruz. Media does have it out for him because they're in bed with DC politicians who hate the guy.
                6) Hillary Clinton. Cottage industry in mainstream media has sprung up to be the one who takes her down. Any fake scandal given front page headlines in NYT or CNN or WaPo - retractions when stories turn out to be false put on page 30, bringing back the days of Judith Miller at the NYT.
                7) Donald Trump. Hate the guy all you want, but he gets by far the worst press. No media outlet is in the tank for him, and he's been pronounced politically dead about 9 zillion times by now.
                You post this list like having the press hate you is a bad thing. It apparently never strikes anyone that a politician's popularity with the voters is inverse to his or her relationship with the press. If I were a politician, I'd want the press to be in the bag for my opponent.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
                  Him and Craig James, who may have killed 5 hookers while at SMU
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    You post this list like having the press hate you is a bad thing. It apparently never strikes anyone that a politician's popularity with the voters is inverse to his or her relationship with the press. If I were a politician, I'd want the press to be in the bag for my opponent.
                    I completely agree with you actually. Its telling the people getting the worst press are the frontrunners. National media is a joke. They still picture themselves as the shaper of public opinion. That ship sailed a looooooong time ago. Trump would in fact be a disaster, but isn't it funny every time to wins a state to see the dumbstruck look on yet another pundit's face, or a whiny newspaper article imploring everyone to back Rubio?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      A favorable press is still the best. Look at what Dubya was able to accomplish with a lapdog press after 9/11.

But I agree that a negative press is better than no press. Hillary and Bernie face different problems with the press, but Bernie's is worse. Hillary faces a press obsessed with all the faux scandals the opposition has been trying to tag her with for 20 years, partly because they thrive on conflict but partly because of Hillary's own horrendous reactions. Other than at the actual Benghazi!!!1!1 hearing, at which she was superb, her bristeling and lawyering make great hate watching reality TV. Hillary's better than the "conniving girl" the Bachelor always casts for getting eyes on the screen to hiss.

But Bernie's problem is the press either ignores him or treats him as a joke. This comes from the very deliberate moving of the Overton window away from the real left (which just happens to correspond to the corporate media's immediate financial stakes and its 1% owners' ideology). Public and leftist media is of course completely in the bag for Bernie, but those reach about 85 people in Berkeley who are all already on his campaign team. The Gen Pop never hears anything about Bernie except when one of the candidates make a snide aside.

(Bernie's other problem is, of course, that's he's Bernie. If he had Trump's swagger or Obama's eloquence he'd be in a lot better shape, and in fact liberals need to study this campaign for the next few years and actively recruit and groom candidates who are great both on the issues and optically, just as the far right did through the 90's).

The prissy condescension at liberals by a few posters here is just a reflection of the national media Conventional Wisdom, because those folks learned the lesson that if you speak seriously and non-jokingly about the systemic unfairness of the American economic system you get marginalized and then you don't get the nice promotion to the corner office. That's why real change always comes outside the establishment. There is a reason why Trump and Sanders are, as somebody put so well, "sipping from the same soda with different straws." They are both appealing to those who recognize the system isn't actually broken -- it's working exactly as designed.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 02-25-2016, 10:03 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

I completely agree with you actually. Its telling the people getting the worst press are the frontrunners. National media is a joke. They still picture themselves as the shaper of public opinion. That ship sailed a looooooong time ago. Trump would in fact be a disaster, but isn't it funny every time to wins a state to see the dumbstruck look on yet another pundit's face, or a whiny newspaper article imploring everyone to back Rubio?
                        It's also the national press that has made Trump so strong. The level of free media that he's gotten since his campaign started is off the charts. And, I disagree his coverage has all been bad. He's had a lot of good coverage and a lot of free passes.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          Him and Craig James, who may have killed 5 hookers while at SMU
                          Let's not forget that Glenn Beck may have raped and murdered a girl in 1990.

I'm just asking the question.
                          Cornell University

Comment

7) Donald Trump. Hate the guy all you want, but he gets by far the worst press. No media outlet is in the tank for him, and he's been pronounced politically dead about 9 zillion times by now.
                            It's interesting that you point out Trump is getting the worst treatment in the press. I always figured he's getting exactly what he wants out of them when he goes on his "outrageous" rant of the day, and they're all happy to play along and give him the free press he's after because he gives them a tingle up the leg. I picture Trump and all the big media executives yukking it up over brandies every evening at the club.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              It's interesting that you point out Trump is getting the worst treatment in the press. I always figured he's getting exactly what he wants out of them when he goes on his "outrageous" rant of the day, and they're all happy to play along and give him the free press he's after because he gives them a tingle up the leg. I picture Trump and all the big media executives yukking it up over brandies every evening at the club.
                              I agree that they're feeding off each other, but its less that they're in cahoots and more that Trump is far smarter than the people covering him and he's playing the media like a harp from hell. He knows his comments will generate coverage, but its the media who thinks widespread coverage will lead to his demise. Instead the opposite has happened.

Comment

I agree that they're feeding off each other, but its less that they're in cahoots and more that Trump is far smarter than the people covering him and he's playing the media like a harp from hell. He knows his comments will generate coverage, but its the media who thinks widespread coverage will lead to his demise. Instead the opposite has happened.
                                In the age of reality TV addictions, we all knew this is where we were headed in lieu of wisdom and dignity. Ladies and gentlemen, President Donald J. Trump.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X