X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2015-16: Super Bowl and offseason

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Priceless no need no facts
    Probably for the best anyway. The two words LV sports books most like to hear are "free money".
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Bovada is an online gambling company. Living in Las Vegas gets you no "closer" to it. Just go to Delaware for legal sports betting.
      I don't gamble so it isn't something I'd be familiar with anyway. But thanks for your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        I don't gamble so it isn't something I'd be familiar with anyway. But thanks for your input.
        Then what's the point of a post that does nothing aside from referencing a betting line while concurrently lamenting your inability to be smart enough know the abundant elementary ways you could act on said line?

Pardon our confusion. Thanks for the non-input.
        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

• Originally posted by XYZ View Post
          Then what's the point of a post that does nothing aside from referencing a betting line while concurrently lamenting your inability to be smart enough know the abundant elementary ways you could act on said line?

Pardon our confusion. Thanks for the non-input.
          Because I find it fascinating that the so-called experts think the Patriots will go 1-3 or 0-4 against that weak schedule without Tom Brady.

My sincere apologies for seeing "Bovada LV" and not immediately thinking "the LV must be Latvia not Las Vegas." I'm sure the people who run the site chose Latvia because of its long history with gambling, internet technology and security and not so that most Americans would mistake it for Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Because I find it fascinating that the so-called experts think the Patriots will go 1-3 or 0-4 against that weak schedule without Tom Brady.

My sincere apologies for seeing "Bovada LV" and not immediately thinking "the LV must be Latvia not Las Vegas." I'm sure the people who run the site chose Latvia because of its long history with gambling, internet technology and security and not so that most Americans would mistake it for Las Vegas.
            Here's the thing, and I'm not trying to be snarky here. I believe you when you say you don't gamble, because of your comment regarding the "free money" and this gambling line that you think is so off-base.

What you saw was what is referred to as a "moneyline prop bet."

Apparently Bovada set the "line" for Patriots wins in the first four games at 1.5, according to what you saw. However, the more important aspect of the bet, and the part that you didn't report, is what the payoff number is. At 1.5 wins, that bet probably pays something like -160 or -170, if I had to guess. What that means is that if you bet the "over" (the Patriots win more than 1.5 games) which you think is clearly the way to go, the bet pays very poorly. You have to wager $160 or $170 to win $100.

In other words, you bet $100 that the Pats win more than 1.5 games, you're going to get paid something like $58 if you are right, but they keep your $100 if you are wrong. It's a suckers bet, I would guess, recognizing that I don't know what the actual moneyline number is for that prop.

Edit: If I had to guess, I'd guess that the number of wins really anticipated by the Bovada computers, and probably Las Vegas if they spread this prop, is about 2. You have to remember that Las Vegas and the online sports books hate a "pushed" bet. If they set the line at 2, some will bet the over, some will bet the under, but there is a high probability that the bets get pushed because the Pats win 2, and everyone gets their money back. Just my hunch.

Also, with respect to Bovada, it's actually a fairly well-respected online site that is known for fairly and quickly providing payouts to its customers, unlike a great many sites. Like other online sites it has to be located in Latvia or Costa Rica or some other locale with loose restrictions on online gambling because of the stone-age thinking of U.S. officials.
            Last edited by SJHovey; 04-26-2016, 08:49 AM.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Here's the thing, and I'm not trying to be snarky here. I believe you when you say you don't gamble, because of your comment regarding the "free money" and this gambling line that you think is so off-base.

What you saw was what is referred to as a "moneyline prop bet."

Apparently Bovada set the "line" for Patriots wins in the first four games at 1.5, according to what you saw. However, the more important aspect of the bet, and the part that you didn't report, is what the payoff number is. At 1.5 wins, that bet probably pays something like -160 or -170, if I had to guess. What that means is that if you bet the "over" (the Patriots win more than 1.5 games) which you think is clearly the way to go, the bet pays very poorly. You have to wager $160 or $170 to win $100.

In other words, you bet $100 that the Pats win more than 1.5 games, you're going to get paid something like $58 if you are right, but they keep your $100 if you are wrong. It's a suckers bet, I would guess, recognizing that I don't know what the actual moneyline number is for that prop.

Edit: If I had to guess, I'd guess that the number of wins really anticipated by the Bovada computers, and probably Las Vegas if they spread this prop, is about 2. You have to remember that Las Vegas and the online sports books hate a "pushed" bet. If they set the line at 2, some will bet the over, some will bet the under, but there is a high probability that the bets get pushed because the Pats win 2, and everyone gets their money back. Just my hunch.

Also, with respect to Bovada, it's actually a fairly well-respected online site that is known for fairly and quickly providing payouts to its customers, unlike a great many sites. Like other online sites it has to be located in Latvia or Costa Rica or some other locale with loose restrictions on online gambling because of the stone-age thinking of U.S. officials.
              This is why I don't gamble...

Comment

Mel Kiper at ESPN, or Michael Irvin at NFL Network for draft coverage.

This is like choosing between a firing squad and a beheading.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post

Is Chris Berman the tiebreaker?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

As expected, Goff goes first, followed by Wentz. Now let the fireworks begin!

Comment

Nkemdiche goes to the Cards. Big time risk there.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Stoner McBongface screwed up big time.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

And the answer, of course, is turn on the ****ing hockey game. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Stoner McBongface screwed up big time.
                            That story is getting weirder and weirder.

Step 1: http://deadspin.com/laremy-tunsil-s-...vid-1773721598

Step 2: http://deadspin.com/now-laremy-tunsi...ers-1773740002

Step 3: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/he...-ha-1773742956

And my favorite,

Step 4: http://deadspin.com/heres-laremy-tun...iss-1773749243
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ole Miss came out of mediocrity to sign a handful of the best players in the country (most of which were from out of state anyway) Everyone in college football cheats like hell, Freeze and company were never very subtle about it.

There'll probably be a 30 for 30 about Ole Miss in a decade.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Sad to say the patsies had a better first rd than the Stillers
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X