X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: When I win the lottery....

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Are you familiar with today's society?
    I believe Scarlet to be ignorant in the ways of celebrities. You should teach her all you know.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Interesting debate on whether the winners should be able to keep their identity secret, for example by winning in the name of a trust, which is legal in some states.

Seems to me that both sides have reasonable arguments. On the one side, publishing the names of winners makes them subject to financial predators and criminals. On the other side, permitting anonymity could make it easier for the game to be rigged.

I know if I won, I'd do my best not to disclose my identity. I have no way of influencing the process, but I value my privacy, I already have someone I trust to manage my investments, and I wouldn't want to expose my family to harm.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I believe Scarlet to be ignorant in the ways of celebrities. You should teach her all you know.
        PB winners are not celebrities. I am not sure how familiar she is with the hunyoks of the world.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
          Interesting debate on whether the winners should be able to keep their identity secret, for example by winning in the name of a trust, which is legal in some states.

Seems to me that both sides have reasonable arguments. On the one side, publishing the names of winners makes them subject to financial predators and criminals. On the other side, permitting anonymity could make it easier for the game to be rigged.

I know if I won, I'd do my best not to disclose my identity. I have no way of influencing the process, but I value my privacy, I already have someone I trust to manage my investments, and I wouldn't want to expose my family to harm.
          The explicit reason some states give for requiring winners to disclose their identities is because employees of the lottery and their relatives are not allowed to play.

It seems to me that they could find a compromise, in which the winners would need to disclose their identity to the state police or FBI (and of course to the IRS and the state department of revenue....) but would have the option not to have their identity disclosed publicly.

I was joking with my kids the other day, if you win and then I get kidnapped and you get a ransom demand, tell them, "no, not at that amount. will you accept something smaller?"
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Saw on Facebook that the winner(s) were on The Today Show this morning. Why on earth would someone do that so soon?????
            I saw it, the guy was in NYC with the winning ticket strolling around, Screw that. His lawyer was the one who suggested it, again what the ____.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

It seems to me that they could find a compromise...
              It also seemed to me that there was room for compromise, but none was mentioned in the article I read. I don't know whether that was because of lazy reporting (e.g. no followup question, “Mr. Rigger, proponents of requiring the winners to reveal their names argue that doing so helps prevent fraud and fosters a belief that the winners are real people and that the funds are actually distributed. What is your response?”) or whether in a sign of the times what passes for “discussion” is repeating your own point of view over and over, totally discounting the other side's point of view.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              PB winners are not celebrities. I am not sure how familiar she is with the hunyoks of the world.
              I see a reality show coming on. Similar to the Kardashians, who are celebrities for no other reason than that they are celebrities, some twit will think he should be a celebrity for no other reason than that he was astronomically lucky.

Comment

Woman spends all her money on Powerball tickets, and now wants the world to pay her back. (link)

GoFundMe shut her page down.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  She needs to talk to Wall Street to see how it is properly done.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Awesome
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        No, Wall Street spent all of our money, then forced us to reimburse them. It was a two-fer theft.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X