When I win the lottery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When I win the lottery....

Remember the cautionary story of Jack Whittaker. Part 1 and Part 2 (and this is the guy that's willing to talk about everything).
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The very first thing anybody should do with a winning ticket, even one of the minor prizes of a few thousand dollars, is to sign the back of the winning ticket, perhaps even video record it with my phone to show that it's truly my ticket. After that, I'd call in to the office, tell them that I have a severe case of hemorrhoids, or something, and head straight into the state lottery offices to get my ticket verified. If it was the jackpot, then I'd contact the tax and estate lawyers. I'd like to say that I could remain calm, work for a few days or weeks before going in to claim my prize, but I've never been much of a poker player.
      Don"t tell us you wouldn't rush out and buy a bunch of game-worn Sioux jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        $800 million!

Do I hear $900?
        I just came on here to post that. It's now at $800 million, and they are predicting it will reach $900 million.

Man, if I win, I better not have to share it with anyone...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Some incomprehensible math ... until you do it ... and then it's still incomprehensible.

$675 million.
          But if you take the cash you get the cash value, roughly 2/3: $450 million.
          Then you pay the tax (about 1/2) on the cash: $225 million

Say you are hyper-conservative and invest the $225 million at a 1% RoR but that's tax free (see: tax free municipal bonds).
          That's $2.25 million yearly (after taxes, because there are no taxes on that income).

365.25 days per year, 24 hours per day = 8766 hours in a year

$2.25 million / 8876 hours = $253.49

Basically, unless you spend $253.49 per hour you made money by simply maintaining a pulse.

Oh, and that's at 1% RoR. I'd hope you could get more like 4%.
          I'd invest in the safest FDIC insured thing I could and live off the interest. After I gave some bulk sums to charity.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Remember the cautionary story of Jack Whittaker. Part 1 and Part 2 (and this is the guy that's willing to talk about everything).
            I remember when that story played out. The strangest thing I found about it is that he was a successful businessman who built up a business from scratch. One would think if anyone was capable of handling a lot money, it would be someone like him.

Yet, a guy worth $17 million before he won the lottery, decides to carry half a million in a briefcase and leave it in a car at a strip club. Not to mention, he used to frequent said strip club nearly every single day. He could have afforded to do all that before he won the lottery. What changed him just because he won the lottery?

I remember someone once telling me, "Money doesn't change a person. Money brings out the real person." Food for thought.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              I'd invest in the safest FDIC insured thing I could and live off the interest. After I gave some bulk sums to charity.
              You would have to spread your money around to many, many different accounts, because FDIC insurance is limited per account.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

FDIC only insures you to $250,000 per institution.

With $225 million you'd need to spread it over 900 banks. I recommend online statements or your postman will have a hernia. Then again, you could probably heat your house with all those monthly bank statements.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If my math is right, a jackpot of $800 mil will yield a $300 mil nut after tax, taking the lump sum, plus or minus. $300 mil at 4% interest will net you $1,000,000 per month, before tax.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by russell jaslow View Post
                    you would have to spread your money around to many, many different accounts, because fdic insurance is limited per account.
                    $200k.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      FDIC only insures you to $250,000 per institution.

With $225 million you'd need to spread it over 900 banks. I recommend online statements or your postman will have a hernia. Then again, you could probably heat your house with all those monthly bank statements.
                      Not to mention all the 1099s in January. It will be like the Sears catalog delivery day for the postman...

Not to mention the nightmare of doing your taxes with all those 1099s. You better not miss one, or the IRS will fine you!
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

I feel dumb now. I should have known that. Skip the FDIC thing then.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          The Swiss Franc is presently at a negative interest rate; you would have to pay to hold those bonds.
                          That can probably go then. Really, if US T-bills ever go bust we're probably already cracking open each other's skulls and feasting on the goo inside.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I feel dumb now. I should have known that. Skip the FDIC thing then.
                            Just purchase T-bills/t-bonds and let them sit. You'll sit, earn the interest tax free, and have as close to 0% risk as is possible.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

What I'd do after I invest and vanish:

Go somewhere they'll need Rockapella to find me. Lay low on the beach with a mai tai in my hand for a couple years. Don't buy anything too extravagant right away.

Once the world has forgotten about me, buy a customized van or an RV or something and cruise the country (or even the world) living out of it. Home is wherever I feel like making it that night. Feel like checking into the Bellagio for a couple weeks? Done. Want to go camping in the Keweenaw? On it. Coachella? Off I drive and it's happening. Ferry over to Europe and tool around there? No sweat.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Just purchase T-bills/t-bonds and let them sit. You'll sit, earn the interest tax free, and have as close to 0% risk as is possible.
                                As a friend of mine says, if T-bills fail you'll have bigger problems than your money.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X