Gun Control 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Did you miss this post? Two students dead, at a school....

Maybe it was buried because it was gang violence? Dunno. But yet another shooting at a school.
    The local media is doing their best to spin it as not a school but a non profit outreach center for troubled youths (aka an alternative school), especially since the Governor is on the board of directors and it came the same day the GOP rushed to pass the Governor's private school voucher programto allow more kids to go to these things.

Comment

Did you miss this post? Two students dead, at a school....

Maybe it was buried because it was gang violence? Dunno. But yet another shooting at a school.
      I have been one of the ones reporting these to the board, but you do you.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

And this one is now 7 dead. Thanks to our society- shooting is the first step in conflict resolution.
        I mean... it's effective.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The argument is it's "sticking it to them libs, hurr har."
          I tried to do a little more digging around last night to see if I could figure out a motive for the charge against Baldwin. Like others, I find it kind of hard to believe he can be successfully prosecuted since it pretty clearly was not his job to make the gun safe. Unless they can prove he brought the live ammo to the set, or loaded it into the gun, I really have no idea what they might have on him.

On the other hand, the "sticking it to the libs" argument as the DA's motive seems equally unlikely to me in light of the fact that the DA appears to be a "lib" who has gotten into office based upon the political support of "libs."

My search was largely unsuccessful, except that I did find some articles or interviews where her entire campaign seemed centered around the theme, "everyone is accountable" if she is in office. She repeated that fairly often, and would add that it applied to violent criminals, to cops, to rich and to poor.

I'm going to speculate that she feels this prosecution dovetails into that campaign "promise," win or lose in the prosecution.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I have been one of the ones reporting these to the board, but you do you.
            Not the one DGF posted, and we kept pretending that Baldwin was important. Geez. Why does it matter if he's charged with anything? There have been two shootings of more than one person in the day and Baldwin is what people are debating.

Comment

• DGF- that was to Kep and others who seemed to brush over that event. The shooting at the movie set was more an accident than anything else, whereas the 9 dead yesterday were very intentional.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I tried to do a little more digging around last night to see if I could figure out a motive for the charge against Baldwin. Like others, I find it kind of hard to believe he can be successfully prosecuted since it pretty clearly was not his job to make the gun safe. Unless they can prove he brought the live ammo to the set, or loaded it into the gun, I really have no idea what they might have on him.

On the other hand, the "sticking it to the libs" argument as the DA's motive seems equally unlikely to me in light of the fact that the DA appears to be a "lib" who has gotten into office based upon the political support of "libs."

My search was largely unsuccessful, except that I did find some articles or interviews where her entire campaign seemed centered around the theme, "everyone is accountable" if she is in office. She repeated that fairly often, and would add that it applied to violent criminals, to cops, to rich and to poor.

I'm going to speculate that she feels this prosecution dovetails into that campaign "promise," win or lose in the prosecution.
                This is what I found as well.

Comment

Not the one DGF posted, and we kept pretending that Baldwin was important. Geez. Why does it matter if he's charged with anything? There have been two shootings of more than one person in the day and Baldwin is what people are debating.
                  Sir, it’s a f-cking message board. Have you ever addressed the fact the vast majority of gun deaths are suicides, and that mass shootings are a mere drop in the bucket by comparison? If you haven’t, does that mean you don’t care about those killing themselves with a firearm? I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you care equally about anyone dying from a gun. I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Sir, it’s a f-cking message board. Have you ever addressed the fact the vast majority of gun deaths are suicides, and that mass shootings are a mere drop in the bucket by comparison? If you haven’t, does that mean you don’t care about those killing themselves with a firearm? I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you care equally about anyone dying from a gun. I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.
                    No, I don't. But it is bad to point out that debating whether a celebrity is guilty about an accidental death in the movie they are related with because of a gun is pretty darned irrelevant compared to multiple shootings of people? One accidental shooting death a while ago vs. 9 intentional ones in a day? Yea, one where a gun is allowed and used- but massive mistakes happened is interesting, but to have it dominate news vs. a shooting at a school and 7 in CA just seem off.

Man, some of you get so triggered.

And, yes, it REALLY bugs me that the 4 dead in Moscow get so very much national news over the continuous shooting all over the country. Just like that kid in Colorado 30 years ago got so very much news- one white kid over every other killing in cities. I can't even remember that kids name, but I never understood why THAT was so important compared to all the other kids dying in shootings.
                    Last edited by MichVandal; 01-24-2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

The local media is doing their best to spin it as not a school but a non profit outreach center for troubled youths (aka an alternative school), especially since the Governor is on the board of directors and it came the same day the GOP rushed to pass the Governor's private school voucher programto allow more kids to go to these things.
                      As I read the AP article, I see why it is being so downplayed. Which is very disappointing.

It's still a shooting of people in a public place, the wrong people for the wrong reason. Gang violence is sadly accepted in the media.

Comment

DGF- that was to Kep and others who seemed to brush over that event. The shooting at the movie set was more an accident than anything else, whereas the 9 dead yesterday were very intentional.
                        I deleted my reply because I couldn’t tell who you were talking to

Comment

If that is the case then she is an idiot. Taking on something so high profile is dangerous enough...but unless you have a (pardon the pun) smoking gun you risk shooting your future in the foot all to make a few headlines based on a half azzed campaign promise. She best have all her ducks in a row because Baldwin is going to have the best defense money can buy.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

OK, that's fair. "Sticking it to the elites" is another tried and true DA pose, and works with a broader audience.
                            Cornell University

Comment

DGF- that was to Kep and others who seemed to brush over that event. The shooting at the movie set was more an accident than anything else, whereas the 9 dead yesterday were very intentional.
                              It is possible to have opinions on multiple events simultaneously. If x responds to y's prior post rather than z's, z should not feel neglected.

I am absolutely on board with a national ban on all military-style semiautomatic weapons, all high-capacity ammunition magazines and all parts that allow weapons to be so modified, within 5 days of this event. Who's with me?
                              Cornell University

Comment

As I read the AP article, I see why it is being so downplayed. Which is very disappointing.
                                I don't even know what this is code for, but I'm guessing it is because the shooter is non-white and whites are snowflakes.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X