This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The mother in this case who bought the gun and allowed the 6 year old to bring it to school needs to be charged with shooting the teacher. Attempted Murder should do it. These people need to be held accountable. Of course we couldn't hold Kyle Rittenhouse accountable so what am I blathering about?

End the right or we all die.
    Drew this is exactly what you voted for. Do you really think it's the media who is blowing up the violence when it's the parents buying the guns for their kids to take to school? You can't hide from your voting record.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I was in high school when columbine happened and the reaction then was so much different then what it is now. We should do more to reduce gun violence but I don’t think creating a culture of fear is going to solve anything and could make things worse. The media has normalized gun violence at schools when it is an incredibly rare thing.
      How was the reaction different for the Columbine shooting?

My elementary school was recently razed and replaced with a state-of-the-art school. It has hardened windows and doors (bulletproof), airlock dropoff so fewer people need to enter when leaving stuff, and a lockdown button that automatically seals classrooms and areas of the school so if an active shooter makes it in they can only murder a single classroom of teachers/students. So I struggle with the congruency of your "culture of fear" statement with hardening elementary schools like a bunker in the Maginot Line. Is your point that all this hardening in elementary schools these days is simply an overreaction to a media narrative and that all this extra cost is unneeded?

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

How was the reaction different for the Columbine shooting?

My elementary school was recently razed and replaced with a state-of-the-art school. It has hardened windows and doors (bulletproof), airlock dropoff so fewer people need to enter when leaving stuff, and a lockdown button that automatically seals classrooms and areas of the school so if an active shooter makes it in they can only murder a single classroom of teachers/students. So I struggle with the congruency of your "culture of fear" statement with hardening elementary schools like a bunker in the Maginot Line. Is your point that all this hardening in elementary schools these days is simply an overreaction to a media narrative and that all this extra cost is unneeded?
        I think it is 100% the wrong approach. And honestly it isn’t even about the money. When you do that you signal to the kids that it’s something reasonably likely to happen which it obviously isn’t.

My wife works in a school so this issue is near and dear to my heart. What has gone on post Newtown is an absolute disgrace. There are so many kids terrified of being shot in school now when there are 1k horrible things more likely to happen to them. Living in fear isn’t the way to go.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Lol. My god

Comment

I was in high school when columbine happened and the reaction then was so much different then what it is now. We should do more to reduce gun violence but I don’t think creating a culture of fear is going to solve anything and could make things worse. The media has normalized gun violence at schools when it is an incredibly rare thing.
            Look...just say "I have no idea what I am talking about" and save us time. This post is nonsense.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think it is 100% the wrong approach. And honestly it isn’t even about the money. When you do that you signal to the kids that it’s something reasonably likely to happen which it obviously isn’t.

My wife works in a school so this issue is near and dear to my heart. What has gone on post Newtown is an absolute disgrace. There are so many kids terrified of being shot in school now when there are 1k horrible things more likely to happen to them. Living in fear isn’t the way to go.
              I am a teacher...you are an idiot. You have no idea what you are talking about so please shut up. If you had any idea how often guns are ending up in schools these days you wouldn't step foot inside a school let alone let your kids go there. The shootings, that is just the tip of the iceburg.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I am a teacher...you are an idiot. You have no idea what you are talking about so please shut up. If you had any idea how often guns are ending up in schools these days you wouldn't step foot inside a school let alone let your kids go there. The shootings, that is just the tip of the iceburg.
                Again, my wife steps foot in one every day and in a few years my kids will as well.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Again, my wife steps foot in one every day and in a few years my kids will as well.
                  And they will be put through endless active shooter drills. Why? Because if they aren't and something does indeed happen many more will die then if we had them trained.

We could have solved this problem at the root. But we in this country are a bunch of gutless, ignorant, ******** who cannot do anything except placate to the rich and powerful.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Why treat the cause when we could just treat the symptoms? And then whine about the effect of those symptom treatments.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• The US will never solve this problem as long as the language of 2A remains ambiguous. And it will, because you aren't going to get 38 state legislatures to ratify any changes that clearly allow for more restrictive laws. So basically, it all boils down to the fact that Republicans only care about unborn life. After that, it's bootstraps or die.

Comment

• Shorter conservatives: "The problem isn't the murders, it's the reporting on the murders. If we all ignored it all the kids who didn't actually die or witness a murder would be fine."

A gun is a murder weapon. That is its purpose. Ban* guns, full stop. Your hobby of shooting Bambi is not worth my child's life. Guns are archaic. We are an urban culture. Enough already.

* If you want to keep guns in your rural areas and where there are actual bears, fine. I do not particularly care about your kids if you don't, and it's kinda a win/win if you catch my meaning.

Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2023, 11:54 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You *could* vote for actual gun control. You know, where parents are held responsible for their kids, and they might think twice about giving them a gun... Or perhaps we can even eliminate guns, since all they are intended to do is to kill another person.

But when you think #2 is as important as you do, don't be so shocked that the rest of us have to deal with the result of that. You clearly want to ignore the elephant in the room.

Comment

And again you have zero idea what you are talking about so just stop.

I literally know people who have to run programs that have dozens of kids kicked out for bringing guns to school. Suburban districts. So stop pretending this is not some problem and we are teaching kids to live in fear.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Illinois has just forced through a pretty extensive "assault weapons" ban.

https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-ass...bill/12687878/
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Illinois has just forced through a pretty extensive "assault weapons" ban.

https://abc7chicago.com/illinois-ass...bill/12687878/
                                The SCOTUS orcs will overturn, ruling shooting a child is protected speech.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X