This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...363716097?s=19

Prosecutors say "incel" planned mass shooting of sorority members on Ohio college campus https://t.co/gPCA1LNWMU https://t.co/JGyLr9QcbV
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The best ****ing country in the world

“JUST IN: At least 915 shootings took place across the country last week, leaving at least 430 people dead, new reporting shows. The shootings, which occurred between Saturday, July 17 and Friday, July 23, wounded 1,007 people.

The stunning numbers illustrate the spike in gun violence that is occurring throughout the U.S.”

Comment

• Are the numbers really "stunning" though?
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          The only way back is through Draconian measures.
          Surely that would end well.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• It would, but because of people like you, we don’t have enough political force to make it happen. We even have Hovey on board with taking away 95% of the guns in this country. Hovey, for ****’s sake. Or, at the very least, if he’s not on board, ONLY he recognizes that lessening the number of guns circulating is the only answer to our unique problem.
            I mean, we could even take away like 90% of the guns in this country, and that’d leave enough for one gun per household, who already report having a gun in their household. 48.5 million guns for a country of 330 million instead of close to 400 million guns. Make it an even 50 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

As opposed to what we have now

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                It would, but because of people like you, we don’t have enough political force to make it happen.
                The political will doesn't exist because it's largely black on black or hispanic on hispanic violence. Say what you will, but that's the absolute truth.

Reports are made to the FBI (I think they might be called uniform crime reports, or something like that) and those reports give statistics for things like the age, sex and race of the victims as well as the age, sex and race of the perpetrator/arrestee. I don't know the exact numbers, but last time I looked, it is kind of startling. Probably 90% of these shootings occur when African Americans shoot other African Americans or hispanics shoot other hispanics, or they shoot each other.

Candidly, we tend to avoid spending a lot of money to fix problems in minority neighborhoods.

Scroll out on this map of Minneapolis. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...4020db10c19749
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• It has nothing to do with race. Obviously. It's entirely about poverty. Poor non-whites live disproportionately in cities with more people and thus more everything including shootings. Poor whites live disproportionately in non-cities with fewer people and thus fewer everything including shootings. The density map for shootings would match the density map for "has gone to an art museum."

The race angle is unintentional racism. It's not animus but it's mistaking a dependent variable for an independent variable.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Note the gun thing is not Hovey's fault at all. He's confused about some things but he appears to be completely in line with most American gun owners, and if their will was law we would have background checks and waiting periods and closing the gun show loophole -- everything except (I assume) a registry. That would go at least partially towards eliminating the problem.

This will eventually end with a full on referendum on gun ownership. And the solution is pretty simple. You can't have a weapon of mass destruction and you can't have an arsenal. Guns are just like poisons, and we allow people to own poisons in small quantities. We don't allow them to own so much they can wipe out a city.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The political will doesn't exist because it's largely black on black or hispanic on hispanic violence. Say what you will, but that's the absolute truth.

Reports are made to the FBI (I think they might be called uniform crime reports, or something like that) and those reports give statistics for things like the age, sex and race of the victims as well as the age, sex and race of the perpetrator/arrestee. I don't know the exact numbers, but last time I looked, it is kind of startling. Probably 90% of these shootings occur when African Americans shoot other African Americans or hispanics shoot other hispanics, or they shoot each other.

Candidly, we tend to avoid spending a lot of money to fix problems in minority neighborhoods.

Scroll out on this map of Minneapolis. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...4020db10c19749
                      So, white people are the problem? That, we can agree on. One political party’s voting base is around 90% white, and are either openly hostile or covertly hostile towards people or color. That’s a problem. I agree about needing to spend more on minority neighborhoods. I’m sure for you, one party ignores the issue or exacerbates that particular problem (GOP), and one party deigns to care (Dems), but the patting themselves on the back is as bad, if not worse, than simply exacerbating it, so **** them both.
                      Like Kepler said, poverty is a massive component of the problem. Our country has never been all that good at every race receiving an equal shot at achieving the ever-shrinking “American Dream.” But, even if poverty was magically fixed in those neighborhoods, through a lot of back-slapping by Democrats, we’d still have a gun problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Cause the current rules are working out so great?

Your side made any sort of reform beyond even discussion...we are past the point of half measures.

The safety of the many outweigh the dick envy of the few. Our lax attitudes have turned us into the laughingstock of the West. Maybe that is fine for the 12 people in NoDak who think Canada is exotic but for those of us that live in the real world it is kind of disconcerting.

Guns aren't the issue, it is the people and sadly you all cant be trusted anymore. So like a child with a toy its time to take it away until you learn your lesson. The massive conspiracy theories, the racism of the defense of the 2nd, (still waiting for all the fire and brimstone from the Right about Blacks who legally carry and get harassed or killed) and the lies about our intentions have turned me into the exact type of liberal you pretended we all were for decades. Congrats.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 07-26-2021, 09:51 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Gee...I wonder why that is.

If you don't know maybe check out Last Week Tonight from yesterday. It should give you nice insight...

(i.e. White People didn't want Negroes in their neighborhoods and the Federal Government obliged)

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0J49_9lwc
                          Last edited by Handyman; 07-26-2021, 09:52 AM.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Laughing at my now ex.

She was arrested in January this year and released to await trial. Part of her bond was she could not have a loaded firearm.

What does the idiot do? Buys a "Red Dead" style revolver, then loads it. Stuff happened, cops came over, and they find a loaded firearm stuffed in a drawer. Today, she'll find out about her freedom and I don't think she's getting out any time soon.

I will have to find another place to live PDQ, but away from her and her chaos is alright with me.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              Part of her bond was she could not have a loaded firearm.
                              How messed up is our gun culture that this is even a thing? Oh, no - can’t take away the actual gun! Muh rights!

Ok, then - how bout if you pretty please promise not to load it?

What good is an unloaded gun for protection of home or country? None at all. An unloaded weapon would only have utility as a simulated offensive weapon against an unarmed victim, but our gun fondlers’ lobbyists make sure that their Precious cannot be taken away.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                How messed up is our gun culture that this is even a thing? Oh, no - can’t take away the actual gun! Muh rights!

Ok, then - how bout if you pretty please promise not to load it?

What good is an unloaded gun for protection of home or country? None at all. An unloaded weapon would only have utility as a simulated offensive weapon against an unarmed victim, but our gun fondlers’ lobbyists make sure that their Precious cannot be taken away.
                                Her initial side piece was taken away in January, but allegedly she was told she could have a firearm straight out of Red Dead Redemption as long as it wasn't loaded.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X