No announcement yet.

Gun Control 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should save millions of lives https://www.boston.com/news/politics...p_featurestack
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Toddler shot by a 4 year old in back of a vehicle today in southern Minnesota

cool

Comment

• I want to answer with pith, but those poor children.

F their adults with a rusty bayonet.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Uh so there's apparently a massive shooting going on in Maine. 22+ dead and and other 75+ shot
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Uh so there's apparently a massive shooting going on in Maine. 22+ dead and and other 75+ shot
            Duh we’re in the mass shooting thread

Comment

• Sounds like he's been arrested based on a video released and IDed by interweb sleuths.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Doh. I still haven't caught up on my old threads. Saw gun in the title.
                Code:

Comment

• I don't know if the provided data is overly simplistic as in missing other mitigating factors, but...

Conservatives say bans on assault weapons don’t work.

That is demonstrably false.

After the Assault Weapons Ban became law in the ’90s, gun massacres fell by 37%.

When it lapsed, gun massacres rose by 183%

It's time to reinstate a ban on assault weapons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I don't know if the provided data is overly simplistic as in missing other mitigating factors, but...

It didn't completely solve the problem 100% by doing just one thing, so we should never do that thing. See also: masks and vaccines.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Bringing back the assault weapons ban has been proposed before. We were told it isn't practical because there are a lot more owners of such weapons now, and not every law-abiding gun owner is going to turn in their assault rifles. Which, if such legislation were to be enacted and they chose not to comply with the law, would make them...criminals. And what do we do with suspected criminals? Get a warrant? Oh no, they will show up at the door guns blazing and LEOs might die. Do you want a Ruby Ridge every week in this country? So we can't have that. /sarc

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Bringing back the assault weapons ban has been proposed before. We were told it isn't practical because there are a lot more owners of such weapons now, and not every law-abiding gun owner is going to turn in their assault rifles. Which, if such legislation were to be enacted and they chose not to comply with the law, would make them...criminals. And what do we do with suspected criminals? Get a warrant? Oh no, they will show up at the door guns blazing and LEOs might die. Do you want a Ruby Ridge every week in this country? So we can't have that. /sarc
                        If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them. Hence, the issue of people turning them in or law enforcement seizing them was never an issue.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them. Hence, the issue of people turning them in or law enforcement seizing them was never an issue.
                          Yes, and now there are tens of thousands more of those firearms out there. Thus, a ban on manufacturing new ones does nothing now. So why reinstate the old law? Might as well do nothing, like we always do and will likely do again this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them.
                            Porque no los dos?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Porque no los dos?
                              You certainly can.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Your argument has always been the same, though.
                                1) Everyone and their mother on here agrees that gun bans and/or making ammunition insanely expensive, among other drastic (by American standards) measures would save the most lives (i.e. most effective).
                                2) Everyone agrees there’s no political will, especially by one party, although there are Jared Golden’s and Joe Manchin’s in the party whose influence is as large, if not larger, than the Matt Gaetz and Co. part of the GOP, who are against the most drastic measures. 3) So, you compromise, or you don’t.
                                4) No compromise. This is the standard in America. End of exercise.
                                5) On the miraculous chance compromise legislation can even be achieved on the lowest hanging fruit subjects when it comes to gun control, it won’t be as effective at controlling gun deaths as the more drastic measures would have been. Still, the legislation will save more people, meaning it’s more effective than doing nothing at all.
                                I think you, Hovey, agree with 1-5. Where we diverge after that is
                                6) You see the backslapping of the politicians for reducing gun deaths by 2%** with their half-measures versus 10%** with full measures as worse than having done nothing at all, while the liberals on here think the 2% is better than 0% reduction. Because
                                7) What is the trade-off, or the negatives, of passing the compromise legislation? You argue one is back-slapping, which leads to
                                8) Nothing more done, maybe for years. But, nothing more done is still a 2% reduction, which is better than stopping at 4) in the exercise, which is nothing done at all. So,
                                9) What are the other drawbacks of the compromise legislation? I haven’t seen anything yet.
                                ** completely subjective numbers, just showing we all agree full measures will be more effective at saving people than half.

Comment

Working...
                                X