This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

That's rich, coming from the guy who commonly reminds us that the backslapping coming from people who think they've accomplished something, even if it's only infinitesimal in nature, is abhorrent and hypocritical behavior. Like when you mocked California gun laws a couple years ago, in a strangely similar manner to Drew, after an inevitable shooting happened in California, in what I can only guess was an apparent effort to invalidate California's stricter gun laws.
    Look, while the "Be the change you want to see in the world" shtick is noble, and I hope more people follow my lead of never owning a gun, nor ever even shooting one, government is often utilized effectively to accomplish problems quicker than the grassroots, be the change you want to see method. There can be, and often is, both things in play when progress is made. California's gun laws are working. So are Massachusetts'. As you've noted before in previous posts, you don't see much of a difference between California's and Louisiana's per capita gun deaths, but the difference in the two states are hundreds of lives saved, which, while infinitesimal compared to the thousands of gun deaths the United States has the pleasure of experiencing every year, is still a difference in the right direction.
    I don't mock people who actually do something, even if it's just the tiniest thing. What I mock are politicians who pass laws that aren't going to have any meaningful impact, and then stand around clapping themselves on the back like they did something to solve the problem.

You watch. The D's control the governor's office and the legislature here in Minnesota this session. They're going for a pretty liberal agenda. What are they going to do for guns? It'll be something like stronger "red flag" laws and background checks.

I guaranty you that at some point during or after this session, the D leadership will hold a press conference at which point in time they will congratulate themselves on taking real and meaningful steps to eliminate the gun crisis here in Minnesota.

Will that be a claim with which you agree?

If they want to do something, I have an idea. Pass a law that makes it a felony, with mandatory prison time, for carrying a gun in a car where the gun is not secured with both a trigger lock and contained within a locked case.

Make it a felony if you own a gun and you don't keep it locked in a secure fashion and a minor comes into possession of it and commits a crime. Or, if you really want to have fun, how about this. Pass a law that says that if you are carrying a gun, it is automatically considered self defense if someone else shoots you.

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Is Drew ever going to back up his claim with numbers or is it going to be like his Grant Wahl claim that goes nowhere?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Is Drew ever going to back up his claim with numbers or is it going to be like his Grant Wahl claim that goes nowhere?
        Perhaps you missed it but there were two high profile mass shootings in CA in approximately the last month. There have been plenty of others as well.

I don’t even remember what my Grant Wahl claim was other than him dying in incredibly dodgy circumstances. If he did truly die of natural causes it is one of the most remarkable coincidences ever.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Perhaps you missed it but there were two high profile mass shootings in CA in approximately the last month. There have been plenty of others as well.
          Picking limited data with a very specific time frame is always the best way to prove a point!!

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Picking limited data with a very specific time frame is always the best way to prove a point!!
            Few free to refute it. The best you could do in your previous post was a graph that was completely irrelevant to the point I made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Few free to refute it. The best you could do in your previous post was a graph that was completely irrelevant to the point I made.
              Firearm mortality rates have nothing to do with effectiveness of gun control laws, got it.

KDR

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Yeah…..no.

You can **** right off with that so long as “conservatives” are wielding government power at every level to advance every plank of their culture war BS in spite of - no, because of - everyone they hurt and to steal everything not nailed down so they can transfer the wealth to the 1%. You’d love it if liberals focused on community grassroots feel-good initiatives while you and your ilk are behind the scenes hollowing out the nation to the point of collapse. No skin off your nose - rich parasites can always go find another host to bleed.

So you’ll excuse me if, as ever, when a conservative starts with, “What liberals ought to do is….” all I hear is, “What would be really convenient for conservatives is if liberals would….”

We, the people, are coming for your guns, and we’re going to use the power of the government to do it. Get used to the idea.
                As a target of right wing culture BS:

Definitely looking into owning a gun and self-defense training because asking the Proud Boys to kindly stop terrorizing drag shows isn't going to work.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

More to the point, California is home to one in 8 Americans. I know per capita stats are hard, but I think the south is more than holding its own in the mass shooting department.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

More to the point, California is home to one in 8 Americans. I know per capita stats are hard, but I think the south is more than holding its own in the mass shooting department.
                    He's going to point out that total firearm mortality death rate isn't the same as mass shooting death rate. Which is true. It may be that CA is not any better than other states per capita on mass shootings, whereas the previous map shows it is better overall. So you can tell the people who died of firearms in the other states in good ole private non-mass-shooting deaths to be grateful for that. Well, I mean you could if they weren't dead.

KDR

Comment

Yeah…..no.

You can **** right off with that so long as “conservatives” are wielding government power at every level to advance every plank of their culture war BS in spite of - no, because of - everyone they hurt and to steal everything not nailed down so they can transfer the wealth to the 1%. You’d love it if liberals focused on community grassroots feel-good initiatives while you and your ilk are behind the scenes hollowing out the nation to the point of collapse. No skin off your nose - rich parasites can always go find another host to bleed.

So you’ll excuse me if, as ever, when a conservative starts with, “What liberals ought to do is….” all I hear is, “What would be really convenient for conservatives is if liberals would….”

We, the people, are coming for your guns, and we’re going to use the power of the government to do it. Get used to the idea.
                      "They're not my guns." Or something to that effect.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah…..no.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                          So we missed a mall shooting yesterday in Texas... geezus.
                          And, meanwhile, in Mississippi.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Children killed by gun violence, US, since 2014.

25 incidents per page (there may be several children killed in an incident)

80 pages.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-18-2023, 09:11 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I don't mock people who actually do something, even if it's just the tiniest thing. What I mock are politicians who pass laws that aren't going to have any meaningful impact, and then stand around clapping themselves on the back like they did something to solve the problem.

You watch. The D's control the governor's office and the legislature here in Minnesota this session. They're going for a pretty liberal agenda. What are they going to do for guns? It'll be something like stronger "red flag" laws and background checks.

I guaranty you that at some point during or after this session, the D leadership will hold a press conference at which point in time they will congratulate themselves on taking real and meaningful steps to eliminate the gun crisis here in Minnesota.

Will that be a claim with which you agree?

If they want to do something, I have an idea. Pass a law that makes it a felony, with mandatory prison time, for carrying a gun in a car where the gun is not secured with both a trigger lock and contained within a locked case.

Make it a felony if you own a gun and you don't keep it locked in a secure fashion and a minor comes into possession of it and commits a crime. Or, if you really want to have fun, how about this. Pass a law that says that if you are carrying a gun, it is automatically considered self defense if someone else shoots you.

I’d be fine with 95% of privately owned guns vanishing in plain sight by noon today. Anything, including the two bills moving through the extremely tight Democratic majorities in the Minnesota House/Senate, are a step in that direction. The quintessential infinitesimal act, voting, put just enough Democratic politicians in place to hopefully make it happen. I personally don’t give a f-ck if politicians dance for the cameras afterwards. That’s the role for some of them. Would you find the governmental route less appalling and abhorrent if both political parties didn’t openly gyrate on television after passing a potentially infinitesimal impact law?
                              I still don’t own a gun. I’m doing my part. My neighbors don’t give a f-ck what I say about guns, and frankly, it’s none of my f-cking business what they be up to, as long as they leave my family alone. But the kids I take care of at work have learned about gun violence and gun safety from me during scheduled groups. Some of them already have gun-related charges. If I could get even one of those kids’ peers listening to make better decisions with firearms, I’m doing my infinitesimal part. If I stop one kid from going home and committing suicide with a firearm because my care played a role on his/her/their road to recovery, I’ve done my infinitesimal part.
                              Your “swing for the fences or you’ve done nothing” application to only government but not individual people is strange. I think I’d end up in a hospital contorting myself like that.
                              Last edited by psych; 02-18-2023, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• If I ever win powerball https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-c...haped-revolver

Comment

Working...
                                X