X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them.
    Porque no los dos?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them. Hence, the issue of people turning them in or law enforcement seizing them was never an issue.
    Yes, and now there are tens of thousands more of those firearms out there. Thus, a ban on manufacturing new ones does nothing now. So why reinstate the old law? Might as well do nothing, like we always do and will likely do again this time.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Bringing back the assault weapons ban has been proposed before. We were told it isn't practical because there are a lot more owners of such weapons now, and not every law-abiding gun owner is going to turn in their assault rifles. Which, if such legislation were to be enacted and they chose not to comply with the law, would make them...criminals. And what do we do with suspected criminals? Get a warrant? Oh no, they will show up at the door guns blazing and LEOs might die. Do you want a Ruby Ridge every week in this country? So we can't have that. /sarc
    If you are talking about "bringing back" the assault weapons ban that was in place before, that ban did not forbid the use or possession of assault weapons. It forbade the manufacture of them. Hence, the issue of people turning them in or law enforcement seizing them was never an issue.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Bringing back the assault weapons ban has been proposed before. We were told it isn't practical because there are a lot more owners of such weapons now, and not every law-abiding gun owner is going to turn in their assault rifles. Which, if such legislation were to be enacted and they chose not to comply with the law, would make them...criminals. And what do we do with suspected criminals? Get a warrant? Oh no, they will show up at the door guns blazing and LEOs might die. Do you want a Ruby Ridge every week in this country? So we can't have that. /sarc

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I don't know if the provided data is overly simplistic as in missing other mitigating factors, but...

It didn't completely solve the problem 100% by doing just one thing, so we should never do that thing. See also: masks and vaccines.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    I don't know if the provided data is overly simplistic as in missing other mitigating factors, but...

Conservatives say bans on assault weapons don’t work.

That is demonstrably false.

After the Assault Weapons Ban became law in the ’90s, gun massacres fell by 37%.

When it lapsed, gun massacres rose by 183%

It's time to reinstate a ban on assault weapons.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Doh. I still haven't caught up on my old threads. Saw gun in the title.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Sounds like he's been arrested based on a video released and IDed by interweb sleuths.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Uh so there's apparently a massive shooting going on in Maine. 22+ dead and and other 75+ shot
    Duh we’re in the mass shooting thread

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Uh so there's apparently a massive shooting going on in Maine. 22+ dead and and other 75+ shot

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    I want to answer with pith, but those poor children.

F their adults with a rusty bayonet.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Toddler shot by a 4 year old in back of a vehicle today in southern Minnesota

cool

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Should save millions of lives https://www.boston.com/news/politics...p_featurestack

Leave a comment:

• Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I can't like this. I agree it's not likely he'll ever be fit to re-enter society. His parents failed him and both of them should get put away for life along with him, even though that won't happen.
    I agree his parents failed him and should get serious time (decades). For the kid, I think life in prison without parole is a just outcome if it happens. I normally would agree that he should have a chance at parole but everything I hear about this kid is terrible. No remorse, and sounds like he would do it again if given a chance. If anyone isn't fit to belong in society it is this kid. Maybe in 40 years some DA will come back and look at the case since Michigan has one of the highest rates of kids locked up, but for now I find the possilbe sentence fair.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco View Post
    Oxford, MI school shooter sentenced to life without parole for killing four kids and wounding more. Parents still in the court system for supplying him with the gun facing manslaughter charges.

https://apnews.com/article/oxford-sc...cee603b7b1f0e3
    I can't like this. I agree it's not likely he'll ever be fit to re-enter society. His parents failed him and both of them should get put away for life along with him, even though that won't happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X