This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Bless your heart. I KNOW there isn’t political feasibility. I KNOW it’s not going to happen. ****ing A, man.
    You “don’t know what the solution is”, but you think it has to do with white men’s mid-life angst? But wait, no, you agree the problem would go away if we banned guns? Yeah, sure, okay. You sir, are the problem, and the ignorant one.
    Take your pretentious, pathetic “white man angst” solution somewhere that others will not laugh at you.
    Great. So we've identified a problem for which there is no feasible solution in this country, so your choice is you're just going to sit here and whine about it. That's nice.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

I hope you never wake up in the middle of the night with meth heads pillaging your bedroom and home. It's thrashed his feeling of safety in his own home.

My friend panicked and couldn't get his vault* open; fortunately, the meths were more scared and ran. He got lucky; they could've panicked towards him.

*Vault, as in secured firearm because there can be kids in the house. Now he opens it when he goes to bed which I'm not sure I agree with either. I told him to get one that opens via fingerprint, not PIN number.
      Cool story. Glad they got scared and ran so he didn’t have to chase them out the door and shoot them once he got his vault open.
      I deal with people addicted to meth daily. It’s my job. I deal with adolescents with behavior problems who don’t think twice about trying to attack me when I look at them the wrong way. Thank goodness they’re not armed with guns too or I’d be dead already. I think my work situation is slightly more dangerous than living in the middle of bum**** North Dakota. My sister, who lives near Gwinner (and loves her guns, bless her heart) would agree with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

I never knew until today how lucky I am to have never had my house broken into by these incredible numbers of meth heads accidentally going into the wrong home.

Certainly, that's a much bigger national crisis than the daily mass murders from guns than any of us realized.
        Well look at the states with the major meth problems and see if you notice anything about them. Places like The Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio...

(yes I know meth exists in other states as well but the zombie hoard Sica is discussing is beyond that)

Dave Chappelle has a bit about where he lives in Ohio and the drug issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJWeluZ3tI

BTW I endorse psych and his "Make America Japan Again" plan!
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Cool story. Glad they got scared and ran so he didn’t have to chase them out the door and shoot them once he got his vault open.
          I deal with people addicted to meth daily. It’s my job. I deal with adolescents with behavior problems who don’t think twice about trying to attack me when I look at them the wrong way. Thank goodness they’re not armed with guns too or I’d be dead already. I think my work situation is slightly more dangerous than living in the middle of bum**** North Dakota. My sister, who lives near Gwinner (and loves her guns, bless her heart) would agree with me.
          I wonder how the narrative would change if the people attacked by meth heads lived in say Atlanta or other urban areas and had a darker hue. Asking for Breonna Taylor...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

I never knew until today how lucky I am to have never had my house broken into by these incredible numbers of meth heads accidentally going into the wrong home.

Certainly, that's a much bigger national crisis than the daily mass murders from guns than any of us realized.
            Clearly the deep state is hiding the zombie meth attacks and preventing the public from hearing about it.

id bet the same people who think thousands and thousands of gun deaths require no action but ten cases of voter fraud (all by Rs) require sweeping overhaul of laws

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Great. So we've identified a problem for which there is no feasible solution in this country, so your choice is you're just going to sit here and whine about it. That's nice.
              Haha, what?? This is the best you’ve got?? Bless. Your. Heart.
              I vote and donate. I admitted in another thread I don’t have time to do much else right now. You still in state government somewhere? You’re a real charmer. Your constituents must have loved you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Well look at the states with the major meth problems and see if you notice anything about them. Places like The Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio...

(yes I know meth exists in other states as well but the zombie hoard Sica is discussing is beyond that)

Dave Chappelle has a bit about where he lives in Ohio and the drug issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJWeluZ3tI

BTW I endorse psych and his "Make America Japan Again" plan!
                Hey, I think I just ripped off everyone else’s plan. Again, that’s everyone on here except Sic and Hovey. I know Hovey is trying to jump on and say “Me too!”, but that’s already been coined for a different movement.
                Not even cfAuthentic’s plan is politically feasible, but I would absolutely 100% take everything he proposed in his earlier post.

Comment

• I see that California has a law limiting the size of magazines, and the San Jose shooter had magazines that exceeded the size permitted by that law. But hey, at least they did something.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Yep. May as well get rid of laws. They just make people criminals anyway.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Yep. May as well get rid of laws. They just make people criminals anyway.
                      No, no, no. Laws are good. And helpful. We should pass a law that makes it illegal to open carry a semi-automatic handgun while wearing a transit safety vest and carrying a duffel bag. That would have stopped him.

Comment

• “I have to have this or that gun because I need it for hunting,” is crap. The 2nd amendment isn’t about a hobby. The reason guns were uniquely singled out as an object that people have a right to own is right there in the amendment, “necessary to the security of a free State.” If you claim you want a gun for any other reason - sorry, not covered.

Even if you squint hard and extrapolate from security of a free State to a right to defend your home, you still don’t need a 20-round magazine. 20 round magazines are designed for one shooter, multiple victims. That is, as an *offensive* weapon. Sorry, not covered.
                        Last edited by LynahFan; 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Sic...as a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter, along with being a 23 year military vet who earned a "marksman' badge with the M-16 (military AR-15), I can honestly say there is absolutely zero reason any civilian needs to own that weapon or, any knockoff of it. Yes, it's a "semi-automatic" weapon. However, as numerous ER docs will attest, and the actual history of that weapon's design and introduction will reveal, the key difference compared to other semi-auto rifles is the significantly higher muzzle velocity of the AR-15. Below I provide links to three recent articles that will likely inform and enlighten many commenting here, including those like Sic and Hovey. The AR-15, along with numerous others, should be banned from civilian ownership. PERIOD. Along with limiting any magazine to 10 rounds at most. To Hovey and Sic, I challenge you to read all three of the following articles from start to finish and then come back here and make a rational, fact-based argument why these types of weapons shouldn't be banned.

Rolling Stone article from 2018...

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...choice-107819/

The first paragraph says it all...

The AR-15 assault rifle was engineered to create what one of its designers called “maximum wound effect.” Its tiny bullets – needle-nosed and weighing less than four grams – travel nearly three times the speed of sound. As the bullet strikes the body, the payload of kinetic energy rips open a cavity inside the flesh – essentially inert space – which collapses back on itself, destroying inelastic tissue, including nerves, blood vessels and vital organs. “It’s a perfect killing machine,” says Dr. Peter Rhee, a leading trauma surgeon and retired captain with 24 years of active-duty service in the Navy.

Here's another article from NBC News... The Parkland Shooter's AR-15 Was Designed to Kill As Efficiently As Possible

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ble-ncna848346

The killing potential of a gun is primarily based on the amount of energy imparted by the bullet when it strikes the body. The bullet’s kinetic energy is equal to half of the bullet weight multiplied by the speed of the bullet when fired, squared — in other words, the velocity that a gun can impart on a bullet is the dominant factor in determining its killing potential.

The 9mm handgun is generally regarded as an effective weapon; its bullet travels at 1,200 feet per second and delivers a kinetic energy of 400 foot pounds. By comparison, the standard AR-15 bullet travels at 3,251 feet per second and delivers 1300 foot pounds.

Tissue destruction of the AR-15 is further enhanced by cavitation, which is the destruction of tissue beyond the direct pathway of the bullet; this occurs with high velocity bullets because their kinetic energies are over 2,500 foot pounds.
                          https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/i...08-2330211.jpgAR-15 semi-automatic guns are on display for sale in Springville, Utah.George Frey / Getty Images
                          To compare again, a typical 9mm handgun wound to the liver will produce a pathway of tissue destruction in the order of 1-2 inches. In comparison, an AR-15 round to the liver will literally pulverize it, much like dropping a watermelon onto concrete results in the destruction of the watermelon. Wounds like this, as one sees in school shootings like Sandy Hook and Parkland where AR-15s were used, have high fatality rates.

The AR-15 is, by design, easier to shoot accurately and rapidly than a a typical hunting rifle because it mitigates recoil. The standard AR-15 bullet, as previously stated, carries kinetic energy of 1300 foot pounds; a typical hunting rifle bullet has between 2600 and 4000 foot pounds, meaning it has greater recoil. The excessive recoil of a hunting rifle precludes rapid firing on target, because of the obligatory motion of the gun and its impact on the shooter. But the moderate energy of the AR-15 allows shooting on target literally as rapidly as the trigger can be pulled, while providing ample bullet speed to inflict lethal wounds.

Here's another from The Atlantic.... POLITICS What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns They weren’t the first mass-shooting victims the Florida radiologist saw—but their wounds were radically different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

"In a typical handgun injury, which I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ such as the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, gray bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments. I was looking at a CT scan of one of the mass-shooting victims from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, and was bleeding extensively. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage? The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, and found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, a semiautomatic rifle that delivers a devastatingly lethal, high-velocity bullet to the victim. Nothing was left to repair—and utterly, devastatingly, nothing could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal."

"A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call. It was not until I had diagnosed the third of the six victims who were transported to the trauma center that I realized something out of the ordinary must have happened. The gunshot wounds were the same low-velocity handgun injuries that I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived."

"The bullet from an AR-15 passes through the body like a cigarette boat traveling at maximum speed through a tiny canal. The tissue next to the bullet is elastic—moving away from the bullet like waves of water displaced by the boat—and then returns and settles back. This process is called cavitation; it leaves the displaced tissue damaged or killed. The high-velocity bullet causes a swath of tissue damage that extends several inches from its path. It does not have to actually hit an artery to damage it and cause catastrophic bleeding. Exit wounds can be the size of an orange. With an AR-15, the shooter does not have to be particularly accurate. The victim does not have to be unlucky. If a victim takes a direct hit to the liver from an AR-15, the damage is far graver than that of a simple handgun-shot injury. Handgun injuries to the liver are generally survivable unless the bullet hits the main blood supply to the liver. An AR-15 bullet wound to the middle of the liver would cause so much bleeding that the patient would likely never make it to the trauma center to receive our care."

"If politicians want to back comprehensive mental-health reform, I am all for it. As a medical doctor, I’ve witnessed firsthand the toll that mental-health issues take on families and on individuals themselves who have no access to satisfactory long-term mental-health care. But the president and Congress should not use this issue as an excuse to deliberately overlook the fact that the use of AR-15 rifles is the common denominator in many mass shootings.

A medical professor taught me about the dangers of drawing incorrect conclusions from data, using the example of gum chewing, smokers, and lung cancer. He said smokers may be more likely to chew gum to cover bad breath, but one cannot look at the data and decide that gum chewing causes lung cancer. It is the same type of erroneous logic that focuses on mental health after mass shootings, when banning the sale of semiautomatic rifles would be a far more effective means of preventing them."

I await your responses....

Comment

• I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting for a response...he will be "on the road" again because he has no legit answers for anything. Then he will come back in like a month asking more questions...

Don't worry though...he is going to protect the White People...err...average law abiding gun owner from the Zombie Meth Heads whilst also protecting our power grid from the imminent EMP attack. pay no attention to the issues with the pwer grid in states that think just like does that is not relevant!!
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
                              Sic...as a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter, along with being a 23 year military vet who earned a "marksman' badge with the M-16 (military AR-15), I can honestly say there is absolutely zero reason any civilian needs to own that weapon or, any knockoff of it. Yes, it's a "semi-automatic" weapon. However, as numerous ER docs will attest, and the actual history of that weapon's design and introduction will reveal, the key difference compared to other semi-auto rifles is the significantly higher muzzle velocity of the AR-15. Below I provide links to three recent articles that will likely inform and enlighten many commenting here, including those like Sic and Hovey. The AR-15, along with numerous others, should be banned from civilian ownership. PERIOD. Along with limiting any magazine to 10 rounds at most. To Hovey and Sic, I challenge you to read all three of the following articles from start to finish and then come back here and make a rational, fact-based argument why these types of weapons shouldn't be banned.

Rolling Stone article from 2018...

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...choice-107819/

The first paragraph says it all...

The AR-15 assault rifle was engineered to create what one of its designers called “maximum wound effect.” Its tiny bullets – needle-nosed and weighing less than four grams – travel nearly three times the speed of sound. As the bullet strikes the body, the payload of kinetic energy rips open a cavity inside the flesh – essentially inert space – which collapses back on itself, destroying inelastic tissue, including nerves, blood vessels and vital organs. “It’s a perfect killing machine,” says Dr. Peter Rhee, a leading trauma surgeon and retired captain with 24 years of active-duty service in the Navy.

Here's another article from NBC News... The Parkland Shooter's AR-15 Was Designed to Kill As Efficiently As Possible

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ble-ncna848346

The killing potential of a gun is primarily based on the amount of energy imparted by the bullet when it strikes the body. The bullet’s kinetic energy is equal to half of the bullet weight multiplied by the speed of the bullet when fired, squared — in other words, the velocity that a gun can impart on a bullet is the dominant factor in determining its killing potential.

The 9mm handgun is generally regarded as an effective weapon; its bullet travels at 1,200 feet per second and delivers a kinetic energy of 400 foot pounds. By comparison, the standard AR-15 bullet travels at 3,251 feet per second and delivers 1300 foot pounds.

Tissue destruction of the AR-15 is further enhanced by cavitation, which is the destruction of tissue beyond the direct pathway of the bullet; this occurs with high velocity bullets because their kinetic energies are over 2,500 foot pounds.
                              https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/i...08-2330211.jpgAR-15 semi-automatic guns are on display for sale in Springville, Utah.George Frey / Getty Images
                              To compare again, a typical 9mm handgun wound to the liver will produce a pathway of tissue destruction in the order of 1-2 inches. In comparison, an AR-15 round to the liver will literally pulverize it, much like dropping a watermelon onto concrete results in the destruction of the watermelon. Wounds like this, as one sees in school shootings like Sandy Hook and Parkland where AR-15s were used, have high fatality rates.

The AR-15 is, by design, easier to shoot accurately and rapidly than a a typical hunting rifle because it mitigates recoil. The standard AR-15 bullet, as previously stated, carries kinetic energy of 1300 foot pounds; a typical hunting rifle bullet has between 2600 and 4000 foot pounds, meaning it has greater recoil. The excessive recoil of a hunting rifle precludes rapid firing on target, because of the obligatory motion of the gun and its impact on the shooter. But the moderate energy of the AR-15 allows shooting on target literally as rapidly as the trigger can be pulled, while providing ample bullet speed to inflict lethal wounds.

Here's another from The Atlantic.... POLITICS What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns They weren’t the first mass-shooting victims the Florida radiologist saw—but their wounds were radically different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

"In a typical handgun injury, which I diagnose almost daily, a bullet leaves a laceration through an organ such as the liver. To a radiologist, it appears as a linear, thin, gray bullet track through the organ. There may be bleeding and some bullet fragments. I was looking at a CT scan of one of the mass-shooting victims from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, and was bleeding extensively. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage? The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, and found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, a semiautomatic rifle that delivers a devastatingly lethal, high-velocity bullet to the victim. Nothing was left to repair—and utterly, devastatingly, nothing could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal."

"A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call. It was not until I had diagnosed the third of the six victims who were transported to the trauma center that I realized something out of the ordinary must have happened. The gunshot wounds were the same low-velocity handgun injuries that I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived."

"The bullet from an AR-15 passes through the body like a cigarette boat traveling at maximum speed through a tiny canal. The tissue next to the bullet is elastic—moving away from the bullet like waves of water displaced by the boat—and then returns and settles back. This process is called cavitation; it leaves the displaced tissue damaged or killed. The high-velocity bullet causes a swath of tissue damage that extends several inches from its path. It does not have to actually hit an artery to damage it and cause catastrophic bleeding. Exit wounds can be the size of an orange. With an AR-15, the shooter does not have to be particularly accurate. The victim does not have to be unlucky. If a victim takes a direct hit to the liver from an AR-15, the damage is far graver than that of a simple handgun-shot injury. Handgun injuries to the liver are generally survivable unless the bullet hits the main blood supply to the liver. An AR-15 bullet wound to the middle of the liver would cause so much bleeding that the patient would likely never make it to the trauma center to receive our care."

"If politicians want to back comprehensive mental-health reform, I am all for it. As a medical doctor, I’ve witnessed firsthand the toll that mental-health issues take on families and on individuals themselves who have no access to satisfactory long-term mental-health care. But the president and Congress should not use this issue as an excuse to deliberately overlook the fact that the use of AR-15 rifles is the common denominator in many mass shootings.

A medical professor taught me about the dangers of drawing incorrect conclusions from data, using the example of gum chewing, smokers, and lung cancer. He said smokers may be more likely to chew gum to cover bad breath, but one cannot look at the data and decide that gum chewing causes lung cancer. It is the same type of erroneous logic that focuses on mental health after mass shootings, when banning the sale of semiautomatic rifles would be a far more effective means of preventing them."

I await your responses....

Stop - Hammer time!!

Comment

• Contrary to one article's claims ("Its tiny bullets – needle-nosed and weighing less than four grams"), there is no AR-15 bullet. It is usually a .223 Remington. That was designed in 1957 for varmint hunting. Yes, you can have an AR chambered in .308 Winchester. That round was developed for big game in 1952. (And yes, you can build it chambered in other calibers as well.)

The statement "The standard AR-15 bullet, as previously stated, carries kinetic energy of 1300 foot pounds; a typical hunting rifle bullet has between 2600 and 4000 foot pounds, meaning it has greater recoil" is questionable as there is no standard AR round -- .223 Remington is .223 Remington and .308 Winchester is .308 Winchester. The difference between the foot pound numbers in the article is attributable to comparing .223 to .308 (comparing a varmint round to a big game round). If you have an AR or deer hunting rifle chambered in .308 it'll recoil because of (as the article says) "The bullet’s kinetic energy is equal to half of the bullet weight multiplied by the speed of the bullet when fired, squared" and Sir Isaac Newton mandates "every action have an equal an opposite reaction". Colloquially, fire a .308, it'll kick like .308.

Finally, muzzle velocity (and accordingly kinetic energy) is a function of ammunition (caliber) and muzzle length. The statement "the velocity that a gun can impart on a bullet" is a misnomer at best, and potentially a gross misunderstanding of fundamental physical science by the author. The gun imparts no velocity onto the round. Kinetic energy is created by conversion of chemical potential energy (gun powder). The ammunition is the primary and dominant factor of muzzle velocity (kinetic energy), with barrel length a secondary factor.

It appears the issue you see is with high velocity, low recoil ammunition (see: .223), and not as much the AR per se. As I've said, I'm not an AR guy, I have no use for one, but know those who do use it as a varmint hunting tool, and I remain anti-bump stock for the AR (as that's a modification that makes the weapon appear to be fully automatic to my eye).

What I struggle with is the many legal, legitimate AR owners paying the price for the evil rampages of a few.

Finally, as you state "as a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter", might I ask what game and caliber (or gauge)?

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X