X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psych View Post

2040? You serious, Clark?
    Yes. Big changes are coming. The derp degrades slowly, but it does degrade. We are at a hinge of history, as we were in the 1860s. The derp is headed for a big set back, the only question is whether they will become violent or slink off but either way they just aren't making enough ignorant poor whites to counterbalance the increase in diversity, immigration, and education.

Without a civil war, the fascist Right as currently constituted will cease to exist as a national political force in the next 20 years. With a civil war, it will happen faster. Obviously, there will always be a competitive political Right -- elections will still be 50/50 -- but it will be as different from today as today is from the 1970s. The Left, likewise, will be very different. Imagine a world in which the majority of Boomers are dead.

It won't necessarily even be a more "liberal" world than ours, since liberalism and conservatism will move around the board chasing whatever the issue of the day is. But guns are facing down the future of smoking: they're f-cked.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Yes. Big changes are coming. The derp degrades slowly, but it does degrade. We are at a hinge of history, as we were in the 1860s. The derp is headed for a big set back, the only question is whether they will become violent or slink off but either way they just aren't making enough ignorant poor whites to counterbalance the increase in diversity, immigration, and education.

Without a civil war, the fascist Right as currently constituted will cease to exist as a national political force in the next 20 years. With a civil war, it will happen faster. Obviously, there will always be a competitive political Right -- elections will still be 50/50 -- but it will be as different from today as today is from the 1970s. The Left, likewise, will be very different. Imagine a world in which the majority of Boomers are dead.

It won't necessarily even be a more "liberal" world than ours, since liberalism and conservatism will move around the board chasing whatever the issue of the day is. But guns are facing down the future of smoking: they're f-cked.
      Smoking is still around, right? Yeah, no doubt it’s down from the ‘60s, but it’s still around, and certainly hasn’t been banned. It’s not even close to ****ed. And obviously, it kills way more people than guns ever have. In fact, there’s been an uptick in teen use, thanks to good old fashioned vaping. Having never owned a gun, never shot one, and never, ever a plan to own one, 2040 sounds great. Just not even remotely plausible, in my opinion.

Comment

Smoking is still around, right? Yeah, no doubt it’s down from the ‘60s, but it’s still around, and certainly hasn’t been banned. It’s not even close to ****ed. And obviously, it kills way more people than guns ever have. In fact, there’s been an uptick in teen use, thanks to good old fashioned vaping. Having never owned a gun, never shot one, and never, ever a plan to own one, 2040 sounds great. Just not even remotely plausible, in my opinion.
        Guns will be around but they will be so regulated and so lower class-associated that nobody with the slightest personal dignity will have them.

Like smoking and fundamentalism.

We'll have morons but they'll be morons about something else. Like, they'll hate cyborgs or Chinese food or something.

Last edited by Kepler; 05-25-2021, 10:55 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          As Kep's chart from the WaPo postulates, I think a lot of people are already choosing to rid their homes of unnecessary firearms, especially younger generations who inherit them when there's a death in the family. When my dad is eventually gone, I can envision keeping one rifle and one shotgun (probably the 20-gauge I got for my 14th birthday). The other half-dozen or so, I will likely arrange to take to the police for disposal.

Guns will probably never be banned outright because there are simply too many red states who won't ratify any proposed amendment to repeal 2A. However with the right Supreme Court makeup, we can definitely get 2A reinterpreted to give Congress and municipalities more leeway to enact reasonable and popular restrictions on firearm types, purchases, and possession.
          Far as I can tell, they already interpreted it in DC v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago, but in the wrong direction. I suppose it’s possible an ultra-liberal future SC will overturn stare decisis on both, but I don’t see that happening before 2040 either. I suppose it’s time for Kep to jump in with his +6 tagline now.

Comment

Guns will be around, but I can surely see a situation where it won't be protected by the 2nd amendment.

It amazes me that people are willing to take a chance that nothing will be done. Just look at Texas, who apparently is going to pass a conceal/carry law that does not require anything. I guess that makes it easier for cops to shoot non-white people easier, as they can assume guns in 100% situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Guns will be around but they will be so regulated and so lower class-associated that nobody with the slightest personal dignity will have them.

Like smoking and fundamentalism.

We'll have morons but they'll be morons about something else. Like, they'll hate cyborgs or Chinese food or something.

Highly regulated is different from banned, and I’m skeptical of even that happening before 2040, but I hope you’re right.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Guns will be around, but I can surely see a situation where it won't be protected by the 2nd amendment.

It amazes me that people are willing to take a chance that nothing will be done. Just look at Texas, who apparently is going to pass a conceal/carry law that does not require anything. I guess that makes it easier for cops to shoot non-white people easier, as they can assume guns in 100% situations.
                Who is taking a chance on nothing be done? I don’t even own a ****ing gun. Never have. No desire. I’m capable of understanding that more guns = more gun deaths, and there doesn’t need to be much more nuance than that. If anything though, gun regulation is headed in the wrong direction, at both the state and federal level. I hope this changes, but the SC now, with Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/ACB/Roberts around for at least another 25+ years each, aren’t going to be the change agents.

Comment

Who is taking a chance on nothing be done? I don’t even own a ****ing gun. Never have. No desire. I’m capable of understanding that more guns = more gun deaths, and there doesn’t need to be much more nuance than that. If anything though, gun regulation is headed in the wrong direction, at both the state and federal level. I hope this changes, but the SC now, with Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/ACB/Roberts around for at least another 25+ years each, aren’t going to be the change agents.
                  Texas? Other politicians who insist that the population should be armed to prevent mass shootings? etc.

I understand that gun protection is going the wrong way, right now. But I see that as rushing to get to a position because they see that the opinion trends are going the opposite direction. Given the direction of this country, it's pretty inevitable that some public figure will be assasinated. Who knows who that will be- could even be within a single party. If that happens more than once, opinions can be changed en-masse.

Comment

I suppose it’s time for Kep to jump in with his +6 tagline now.
                    +10. F-ck it.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Highly regulated is different from banned, and I’m skeptical of even that happening before 2040, but I hope you’re right.
                      I would settle for heavily regulated. Hell, I’d settle for WELL regulated.

Heller ****es me off to no end. Banning AR-15s would be no more of an “infringement” than banning private ownership of heavy artillery or surface to air missiles - weapons that would actually conceivably be useful if it ever did become necessary to throw off the shackles of this government. Banning FIRE in a crowded theater is not an “infringement” of your free speech - that is speech that you never had a right to in the first place. Not every limitation is an infringement.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• I also think this is something that the growth of women in policy is going to help with.

I understand that conservative women are just as stupid as conservative men, if not stupider since they can't even suss out they are being used as furniture by their own side, but as women become fully represented in government I think there will be changes to some of the super herpa-derp penile cowardice that has infected politics for, basically, ever.

And yes, the women who go into politics, like the men, will be by definition narcissists if not sociopaths, but in a different way. The cringing cowardice that causes men to hide behind their guns will be mediated by something else. Maybe the women will hide behind babies. Or shoes. It'll be something incredibly stupid, but it will be stupid in a new way, and hey that's exciting!
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Guns will never be regulated like they should be...and anyone who believes otherwise needs to stop drinking so early in the day. Even Blue States have trouble regulating guns but somehow the US Government will? That is beyond na?ve...

And plenty of non-morons do moronic things so that dog won't hunt either.

I haven't seen this much magical thinking since the last time I went to synagogue.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Guns will never be regulated like they should be...and anyone who believes otherwise needs to stop drinking so early in the day. Even Blue States have trouble regulating guns but somehow the US Government will? That is beyond na?ve...

And plenty of non-morons do moronic things so that dog won't hunt either.

I haven't seen this much magical thinking since the last time I went to synagogue.
                            That last sentence reflects my thoughts exactly, minus going to synagogue. Haven’t been to church since getting “confirmed” 22 years ago.

Comment

• Normally I would have fun pointing and laughing but it is ridiculous to think guns are going anywhere. Even if you believe gun ownership is declining (I don't) it doesn't matter, the country is headed down a dark path everywhere so regulation is never coming.

The GOP is rigging the game in multiple states making sure they are the only ones that have any real power, stacked a Supreme Court to kill Abortion on top of any other Liberal Legislation and are restricting votes all over the country...but somehow despite all of that guns will trend the right way because...reasons?

This is why Liberals fail. They think that just because polling shows they have the edge they somehow will win in the end. They think because they win the argument they somehow won. Meanwhile the country gets bent over a barrel because the Nazis have no issue burning it all to the ground to win. They are all about the moral victories...doing their best and hoping it works!

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Normally I would have fun pointing and laughing but it is ridiculous to think guns are going anywhere. Even if you believe gun ownership is declining (I don't) it doesn't matter, the country is headed down a dark path everywhere so regulation is never coming.

The GOP is rigging the game in multiple states making sure they are the only ones that have any real power, stacked a Supreme Court to kill Abortion on top of any other Liberal Legislation and are restricting votes all over the country...but somehow despite all of that guns will trend the right way because...reasons?

This is why Liberals fail. They think that just because polling shows they have the edge they somehow will win in the end. They think because they win the argument they somehow won. Meanwhile the country gets bent over a barrel because the Nazis have no issue burning it all to the ground to win. They are all about the moral victories...doing their best and hoping it works!

Strongly agree with everything in this post. Most people won’t realize we’re f’ed until it’s too late.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X