Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    How did the first lawyers not get any of this? Weren't they supposed to be top of the game and didn't Avery pay them into the millions?

Edit: Nevermind, forgot he settled for under a million. Thought he got a greater fraction of his possible 36 million.
    To be fair I guess Strang and Buting brought up alternate suspects and some other avenues like the cell phone logs but the judge wouldn't allow for it iirc.

Avery had to settle for something like $450,000 and it went to Strang and Buting.

I think Zellner will get everything she requests in her motion save for fingerprints of Lenk and Colburn which is unfortunate because if I thought they were guilty of framing Avery previously the fact they had the Rav4 in their possession 2 days prior to it being found in Avery's lot really seals the deal for me. I don't see how their fingerprints can be obtained with out a court order, and maybe that will come down the pike if she finds the blood in the car is from 1985, etc
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      To be fair I guess Strang and Buting brought up alternate suspects and some other avenues like the cell phone logs but the judge wouldn't allow for it iirc.

Avery had to settle for something like $450,000 and it went to Strang and Buting.

I think Zellner will get everything she requests in her motion save for fingerprints of Lenk and Colburn which is unfortunate because if I thought they were guilty of framing Avery previously the fact they had the Rav4 in their possession 2 days prior to it being found in Avery's lot really seals the deal for me. I don't see how their fingerprints can be obtained with out a court order, and maybe that will come down the pike if she finds the blood in the car is from 1985, etc
      Yes the judge said unless they had solid evidence of other possible scenarios they could not present alternate theories. An interesting decision on its own considering the previous BS conviction and the obvious conflict of interest that Manitowoc had in the case. The defense was allowed to bring in the cell phone and question the police on the evidence but not make any accusations.

It wont take very much evidence for a federal judge to do for Avery what they did for Dassey. The amount of possible misconduct i this case is rather staggering. If you didnt know better you would think he was black (settle down I am joking!)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Brendan Dassey Freed
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Wisconsin AG issued an emergency request for a stay.

The kid is not a flight risk and with all the pub where the hell could he go anyway?

It looks like/feels like the State has an axe to grind against Dassey and Avery and will do everything in their power to protect the status quo.

I just think the longer they prolong justice and drag this out the worse it will be for them. The AG will have to be fired along with some people in the crime lab, state investigators and then there's the whole malfeasance of the manitowoc sheriff's, past deputies and current and how does one quantify in dollars taking 10 years from the kid and about 1/2 of Avery's life?

This entire saga reminds me Kafka's The Trial.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Wisconsin AG issued an emergency request for a stay.

The kid is not a flight risk and with all the pub where the hell could he go anyway?

It looks like/feels like the State has an axe to grind against Dassey and Avery and will do everything in their power to protect the status quo.

I just think the longer they prolong justice and drag this out the worse it will be for them. The AG will have to be fired along with some people in the crime lab, state investigators and then there's the whole malfeasance of the manitowoc sheriff's, past deputies and current and how does one quantify in dollars taking 10 years from the kid and about 1/2 of Avery's life?

This entire saga reminds me Kafka's The Trial.
            They are already facing a litany of lawsuits on Dassey alone, if Avery ever gets cleared the amount of money they will owe him and his family will not only bankrupt that county but the state will feel the pinch too.

The AG screwed this up royally and continues to do so...
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Wait. Wasn't his testimony the key to Avery's second trial?

For that matter, aren't the LEOs going to start facing charges?

This is going to last the rest of our lives, isn't it...?

But more importantly, what the hell is going on with the Comments to that story?
              Last edited by Kepler; 11-15-2016, 10:48 AM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

His testimony was key in the sense he was coerced into admitting to a murder. They then went on to convict Dassey and Avery of murdering Halbach in two completely different manners.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  His testimony was key in the sense he was coerced into admitting to a murder. They then went on to convict Dassey and Avery of murdering Halbach in two completely different manners.
                  Yep. They browbeat a kid with mental deficiencies into admitting to a crime...and none of the physical evidence matched what he said they did.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    They are already facing a litany of lawsuits on Dassey alone, if Avery ever gets cleared the amount of money they will owe him and his family will not only bankrupt that county but the state will feel the pinch too.

The AG screwed this up royally and continues to do so...
                    Agreed on all points.

I just hope when this is over that beyond justice for Avery/Dassey, and closure for the Halbach's, we see some real changes in this state and across the country. A conversation about justice is a great idea but we also need changes/action.

Comment

Agreed on all points.

I just hope when this is over that beyond justice for Avery/Dassey, and closure for the Halbach's, we see some real changes in this state and across the country. A conversation about justice is a great idea but we also need changes/action.
                      Agreed.

If I was the Avery's I would leave the state and never come back...after I cash the check of course
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Agreed.

If I was the Avery's I would leave the state and never come back...after I cash the check of course
                        With the money they'll be awarded they will be able to afford to import a few hundred junk cars and endless amounts of Schlitz to the island they buy, so it feels just like home.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          with the money they'll be awarded they will be able to afford to import a few hundred junk cars and endless amounts of schlitz to the island they buy, so it feels just like home.

Well played.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            With the money they'll be awarded they will be able to afford to import a few hundred junk cars and endless amounts of Schlitz to the island they buy, so it feels just like home.
                            From what I gather from the Cafe, you just described the U.P.*

* I have never been to the U.P. and for all I know it looks like Malta. "All I know is what I read on the internet."
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              From what I gather from the Cafe, you just described the U.P.*

* I have never been to the U.P. and for all I know it looks like Malta. "All I know is what I read on the internet."
                              You do realize that Manitowoc is like 90 minutes from the UP right?
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                You do realize that Manitowoc is like 90 minutes from the UP right?
                                Probably not. We all look alike to that fancy dancy.

Comment

Working...
                                X