Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea why the defense would have allowed anyone related to Manitowoc county sheriff department people on the jury.

Maybe because of the rural nature, there were too many to remove all of them.
    Usually each side removes six apiece, and I also believe the judge removed 15 potential jurors for bias during voir dire. So that's at least 27 people deemed more biased than the people who ended up on the jury. The defense certainly had its opportunity to remove the relatives though so to come back later and say the jury was tainted, welp, they had their chance to remove them and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
      Usually each side removes six apiece, and I also believe the judge removed 15 potential jurors for bias during voir dire. So that's at least 27 people deemed more biased than the people who ended up on the jury. The defense certainly had its opportunity to remove the relatives though so to come back later and say the jury was tainted, welp, they had their chance to remove them and didn't.
      That's true, but I (probably mistakenly) assumed there were things said or done by jurors after they were impaneled that contributed to or caused the intimidation, even though they are not to deliberate until the evidence is in.

Comment

Why didn't the defense try to have the trial moved way away from Manitowoc County? Calumet doesn't count...It's the next county over. I'm talking entirely different part of the state or a different state.
        Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 01-07-2016, 12:43 PM.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Why didn't the defense try to have the trial moved way away from Manitowoc County? Calumet doesn't count...It's the next county over. I'm talking entirely different part of the state or a different state.
          All these questions underscore how different justice can be depending on what you can afford. This defense counsel might have been diligent and well intentioned but he or she was no OJ Dream Team.

Comment

Usually they will keep the locus the same but import the jury from another county. Not sure if the defense requested moving it or asked for a jury from elsewhere in Wisconsin. If they didn't ask for it, then it won't happen for sure.

Comment

If I was on that jury and saw just some of the evidence presented in this series, even with other evidence against Avery not shown, it would be hard to explain some of those important things away, and would leave doubt in my mind about the whole thing. When you take into account his history with police, suing the cops, wrongful imprisonment etc...

Innocent until proven guilty beyond a doubt...

Comment

It appears there's another documentary in the works on this same subject, one that seems to think there were glaring omissions from Making of a Murderer that could be the cause of the visceral reactions we're seeing in the media.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  If I was on that jury and saw just some of the evidence presented in this series, even with other evidence against Avery not shown, it would be hard to explain some of those important things away, and would leave doubt in my mind about the whole thing. When you take into account his history with police, suing the cops, wrongful imprisonment etc...

Innocent until proven guilty beyond a doubt...
                  Beyond a reasonable doubt....not beyond all doubt.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

If the documentary is correct on the facts I have very little doubt that the department set him up again, both to avoid the payout and to save themselves (and also for revenge).

I quite understand that the documentary has an agenda (as the pro-police one being made will), but the actuality of malfeasance and sheer corruption running through all the facts of both cases is about as close to irrefutable as you can get -- this was (is?) is very, very bad bunch.

It's scary to realize that if you make the wrong enemy you can be put away despite innocence. That is obviously not the way the justice system is designed to work, but without significant reform (pairing both the police and the DA with adversarial civil rights departments and officials whose job it is to look after the rights of the accused and to prevent not just abuse but also bias) the system plus human nature will lead to this sort of thing. The media play along and are captured by the prosecution by the same forces as capture the DA: working together with the police every day, careers to be made by going along, creating and then satisfying a public bloodlust for advancement (or simply ratings).

The moral may simply be something we already knew, and that Avery himself says at one point: the poor always lose.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2016, 08:18 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      If the documentary is correct on the facts I have very little doubt that the department set him up again, both to avoid the payout and to save themselves (and also for revenge).

I quite understand that the documentary has an agenda (as the pro-police one being made will), but the actuality of malfeasance and sheer corruption running through all the facts of both cases is about as close to irrefutable as you can get -- this was (is?) is very, very bad bunch.

It's scary to realize that if you make the wrong enemy you can be put away despite innocence. That is obviously not the way the justice system is designed to work, but without significant reform (pairing both the police and the DA with adversarial civil rights departments and officials whose job it is to look after the rights of the accused and to prevent not just abuse but also bias) the system plus human nature will lead to this sort of thing. The media play along and are captured by the prosecution by the same forces as capture the DA: working together with the police every day, careers to be made by going along, creating and then satisfying a public bloodlust for advancement (or simply ratings).

The moral may simply be something we already knew, and that Avery himself says at one point: the poor always lose.
                      Agreed to a point. Even WITH the doc's bias...can't argue against the actual court footage of changed testimony/lying, the actual evidence that "happened" to be found during a search that should never have been performed by the certain individuals, etc.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Subscribed
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Agreed to a point. Even WITH the doc's bias...can't argue against the actual court footage of changed testimony/lying, the actual evidence that "happened" to be found during a search that should never have been performed by the certain individuals, etc.
                          The footage of them collecting "testimony" from the 70 IQ kid by leading him and selectively honing in on what they were trying to implant as a memory cinched it for me. All I could think was "I wonder how common this is?" It wasn't as if the officers just learned to do that on the spot. I'm sure it is a tale as old as time.

They should have taken a tip from the Chi police and "accidentally deleted" the tape.

Scary as anything that if you look at the wrong person funny you could lose your freedom, and the entire system will conspire to keep you locked up.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            The footage of them collecting "testimony" from the 70 IQ kid by leading him and selectively honing in on what they were trying to implant as a memory cinched it for me. All I could think was "I wonder how common this is?" It wasn't as if the officers just learned to do that on the spot. I'm sure it is a tale as old as time.

They should have taken a tip from the Chi police and "accidentally deleted" the tape.
                            I saw on a news show like 20/20 or something where these cops had detained some 16 year old kids for a crime because they were in the area at the time. Off camera the cop said if you just admit to it I'll let you go. The kid admits to it on camera and has now spent something like a decade in prison for trusting the cops. So to answer your question, probobly on a monthly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
                              I saw on a news show like 20/20 or something where these cops had detained some 16 year old kids for a crime because they were in the area at the time. Off camera the cop said if you just admit to it I'll let you go. The kid admits to it on camera and has now spent something like a decade in prison for trusting the cops. So to answer your question, probobly on a monthly basis.
                              I'm almost positive that in the documentary one of the cops of one of the lawyers say it's THEIR JOB to try and get a confession. They'll do anything to get a confession.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Don't believe any it. I have a co-worker who is from Manitowoc, who went to High School with the Avery brothers.
                                He killed that poor woman. There is no doubt in anyone who lives in the Brown,(me) Kewaukee and Manitowoc Counties.
                                So many facts didn't make the movie it is laughable that people believe this garbage.
                                UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Working...
                                X