Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

I have merged my first two posts and decided to use this post as a placeholder for useful articles to read:

Alternate theories of what happen

The most interesting alternate theory with nothing to do with the Avery Family (The German)

The full Convoluted Brian Blog which followed the trial the first time around (Source of "The German")

Prosecution evidence not brought up in Making a Murderer (Need to fix link, replace **** with f-word)

A 2nd article discussing Prosecution evidence not brought up in Making a Murderer

A 3rd article talking about misrepresentation of items in Making a Murderer

A 4th article on Avery's past not being represented appropriately in Making a Murderer

Defense evidence not brought up in Making a Murderer

Initial discussion of breakdown of Jury including family members of MCSD

Interview of Dean Strang and Ken Kratz on Kelly File

Juror has come forward fearing for their family and themselves if they didn't convict

There is another documentary working on the same subject

NYT article about the issues of the Justice System

More information on the "tampered" blood vial

Great article on perspective of Making a Murderer and how it had an agenda
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Re: Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

I can't help it anymore, need to make a thread to post all the stuff I've found down the rabbit hole that is this Netflix Series.

My wife and I binged the series over the New Years weekend and I'm now a bit obsessed with this thing. I grew up watching these news reporters and have spent time in Manitowoc and Calumet county in my youth. I went to high school with Len Kachinsky's daughter, and I'm pretty sure my ex-girlfriend and/or her friends knew/knew of Halbach as they went to UWGB at the same time. Since this event happen after I had moved away, I don't remember much of it other than Halbach missing and someone getting arrested.

Even after accepting that this is a documentary with an obvious slant towards the defense for Avery and Dasey, it is hard not to look at many items and wonder how it could possibly have legit played out like that.

From the key, to the bullet to finding the car, it just doesn't add up. There are plenty of theories of who else could have done it:
    http://fusion.net/story/249427/netfl...ened-theories/

I'm most fascinated by the German man:
    http://www.convolutedbrian.com/an-alternative.html

There is also a list of evidence not brought up in the documentary outlined that seem important:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/read-*...making--230224

The jury included family members of Manitowoc County Sheriffs department:
    http://m.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/29326359.html
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-19-2016, 09:15 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

There's a sucker born every minute.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

From what I read, there is a lot of ****ing evidence the program never showed.

It was not exactly an impartial documentary...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

A summary:

You'll have to replace the asterisks in the link. Start with a D.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            A summary:

You'll have to replace the asterisks in the link. Start with a D.
            I posted that... Still had the asterisk issues.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              There's a sucker born every minute.
              So you were in the area when this all was in the news/papers, etc right? What was your impression the first time around. I spoke with my parents about it this weekend and my dad is on the guilty as sin side of things, my mom is more on the questioning what happen things, especially with Brendan. Those whom I'm still facebook friends with that went to UWGB certainly seem to be on the side of saying that the documentary left out some very important evidence and that we shouldn't take whats in these 10 episodes as the whole story.

Maybe I should just go to reddit and read all the threads but I thought we could have a decent discussion about this instead of people like you just calling me a sucker. In no way am I positive Avery didn't do it. I've just gone down the rabbit hole digging for more information, trying to find "the truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                From what I read, there is a lot of ****ing evidence the program never showed.

It was not exactly an impartial documentary...
                Nothing in this world is impartial. They showed the strongest state evidence.

So you were in the area when this all was in the news/papers, etc right? What was your impression the first time around. I spoke with my parents about it this weekend and my dad is on the guilty as sin side of things, my mom is more on the questioning what happen things, especially with Brendan. Those whom I'm still facebook friends with that went to UWGB certainly seem to be on the side of saying that the documentary left out some very important evidence and that we shouldn't take whats in these 10 episodes as the whole story.

Maybe I should just go to reddit and read all the threads but I thought we could have a decent discussion about this instead of people like you just calling me a sucker. In no way am I positive Avery didn't do it. I've just gone down the rabbit hole digging for more information, trying to find "the truth."
                I grew up about 50 mins away, a lot of people think he's guilty and that the cops couldn't possibly plant evidence. Of course that kind of thinking is pretty prevalent in the more conservative regions of WI.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

I grew up about 50 mins away, a lot of people think he's guilty and that the cops couldn't possibly plant evidence. Of course that kind of thinking is pretty prevalent in the more conservative regions of WI.
                  It's really an interesting time for all of this to make it to Netflix with the all the news surrounding cops with black lives matter and everything else. Questioning police is really at an all-time high right now so it is the perfect time to present something like this.

Being that this took place in northeast Wisconsin, it is also an interesting time for that region where another case of potentially bad police conduct occurred against someone that was suing a police department:
                  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-guy/76903634/

Comment

Almost forgot about that one, will be interesting to see what happens in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

And in smaller cities/areas, it's definitely mob mentality, for fear of being outcast/not one of them.

And PDs stick up for each other, in general.

I haven't told my uncle (35 years on the force) about this series, and I think his face would be red with rage by the end of the first ep...simply because of all the improper procedures these cops performed.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I belly-laughed:

http://images.mic.com/9qcpbq4onpurug...nf4lpvmjwk.jpg
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I got a good laugh out of that too...

Comment

This a great read that succinctly discusses many important items left out of the documentary and the link doesn't need to be fixed because is says the f word in it:
                            http://www.thewrap.com/making-a-murd...ry=/yR3M13rfQF

Comment

I dont know if Avery did it or not but Im convince that Manitowoc was corrupt and planted evidence or tampered the crime scene to strengthen their case against Avery. Theres just soooooooo many things that happened that seem so shady.
                              I mean, the fact that they searched the property for 8 days, the fact that they found her car key in his bedroom and the only DNA on it was Avery's, the fact that they said he raped and killed her on his bed yet they never found any of her blood or DNA on his bed, the fact they found none of her DNA in his garage but found Avery's DNA. None of it makes any sense but when you consider that Avery had a civil case against Manitowoc at the time that he was charged makes perfect sense why they would frame him for it.
                              Not to mention the fact that they interrogated his nephew and practically told him what they wanted him to say. The whole thing is crazy.
                              Last edited by GoBucky36; 01-06-2016, 01:33 PM.
                              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                              Originally posted by MadCityRich
                              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                              X