Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making a Murderer (spoilers expected) did Steven Avery do it?

another interesting read on the side of saying that Avery is guilty mentioning many of the things the documentary represented differently or didn't mention:
    http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/06/...uilty-as-hell/
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Interview of Ken Kratz and Dean Strang on the Kelly File:
      http://www.people.com/article/making...book_peoplemag
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I think there was enough bumbling of this whole case that a mistrial should have been the outcome. The whole thing stinks of a setup by many involved.

How the hell do you not find keys until the 6th day or so of searching the small house? It was also found by a cop that hated avery.

manitowoc county sheriff's office look like fools.

Comment

Wisconsin Public Radio did a segment on the series a week or two ago, which I listened to in the car. I was interested because WPR is the kind of source that would sympathize with an investigation critical of prosecutorial misconduct. The reporter who covered the stories, including trials, was a guest. I remember the case when it was being reported, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, since there are always so many facts you don't get through the media that it is hard to judge one way or another. Without knowing the facts, though, it sounded like WPR gave it fair treatment. The calls went both ways, and while the reporter made it very clear that the series had a clear slant and omitted some relevant information, he was also quick to acknowledge that there were some puzzling questions concerning the investigation and prosecution of the cases. As with most legal issues that are fact intensive, I came away thinking that you have to be careful about drawing conclusions based on the Netflix series only, but that it raised some valid questions.

Comment

There is certainly some evidence pointing to Avery that was not included in the documentary, but it still doesn't outweigh the rest that just doesn't make sense.

No DNA in the bedroom even though her throat and stomach were supposedly sliced there. The mysterious key. The fact that some of the crucial "evidence" only showed after Lent and Colbourn showed up, even when they weren't supposed to be there. The tampered evidence kit.

Then they took testimony that was changed eleventy threeve times by Dassey, a kid who doesn't even know what inconsistent means, nor did his mother know, because apparently rural Wisconsin is Deliverance of the north.

The brother and ex boyfriend of Halbach were incredibly annoying and suspiciously calm through the entire thing with their statements, and even in informal settings like the search party.

If Avery did it, it was certainly not in the manner the prosecution set forth. He may be guilty of murder, but was definitely framed no matter what by police. Either they planted evidence to make it look like he did it, or they planted evidence to make it easier to convict him, though they did a terrible job at it regardless.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              There is certainly some evidence pointing to Avery that was not included in the documentary, but it still doesn't outweigh the rest that just doesn't make sense.

No DNA in the bedroom even though her throat and stomach were supposedly sliced there. The mysterious key. The fact that some of the crucial "evidence" only showed after Lent and Colbourn showed up, even when they weren't supposed to be there. The tampered evidence kit.

Then they took testimony that was changed eleventy threeve times by Dassey, a kid who doesn't even know what inconsistent means, nor did his mother know, because apparently rural Wisconsin is Deliverance of the north.

The brother and ex boyfriend of Halbach were incredibly annoying and suspiciously calm through the entire thing with their statements, and even in informal settings like the search party.

If Avery did it, it was certainly not in the manner the prosecution set forth. He may be guilty of murder, but was definitely framed no matter what by police. Either they planted evidence to make it look like he did it, or they planted evidence to make it easier to convict him, though they did a terrible job at it regardless.
              I think the mother was dumb for dumb's sake. Never bothered with a proper education. IIRC, the kid was evaluated at about a 70 IQ. He has more problems than just simple schooling. It's really sad. I do know they stated that he had a 4th grade reading level, as a junior (soph, maybe?) in HS. How does he get passed along? Tragic.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's surprising to me that not 1 person on the jury thought, maybe this guy did it but there is no way some of that evidence being presented is legit against him. I hear the prosecution mentioning evidence that isn't in the netflix series, that's fine, but trying to explain the crap that was out there is mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  It's surprising to me that not 1 person on the jury thought, maybe this guy did it but there is no way some of that evidence being presented is legit against him. I hear the prosecution mentioning evidence that isn't in the netflix series, that's fine, but trying to explain the crap that was out there is mind boggling.
                  Didn't you hear the latest stuff about one juror coming forward and being scared for their safety based on knowing that 2 members of the jury were family of Manitowoc county sheriff department.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Didn't you hear the latest stuff about one juror coming forward and being scared for their safety based on knowing that 2 members of the jury were family of Manitowoc county sheriff department.
                    Source?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Source?
                      The 2nd post included a link to the makeup of the jury.
                      The fearful juror stuff came from the directors saying a juror contacted them.

http://time.com/4167915/making-a-murderer-steven-avery-juror/
                      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

The 2nd post included a link to the makeup of the jury.
                        The fearful juror stuff came from the directors saying a juror contacted them.

http://time.com/4167915/making-a-mur...n-avery-juror/
                        thx. I asked because that kind of juror testimony would probably provide the basis for mistrial and I suspect that evidence was submitted for those purposes if a juror was, in fact, willing to testify to that effect.
                        Last edited by burd; 01-07-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          thx. I asked because that kind of juror testimony would probably provide the basis for mistrial and I suspect that evidence was submitted for those purposes if a juror was, in fact, willing to testify to that effect.
                          Yeah, sounds like the juror came forward to producers recently so it could be the basis of a mistrial.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the juror came forward to producers recently so it could be the basis of a mistrial.
                            Do you guys know what a peremptory challenge is?

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
                              Those are used to strike potential jurors without cause before the jury is impaneled, though, and unless I am mistaken we are talking about something quite different here.

Comment

Originally posted by SNC SID View Post
                                Yeah, I have no idea why the defense would have allowed anyone related to Manitowoc county sheriff department people on the jury.

Maybe because of the rural nature, there were too many to remove all of them.
                                Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X