Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2016: Because "blob" is not an acceptable shape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2016: Because "blob" is not an acceptable shape.

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
    First 5k today. Lovely New England weather: 50, windy and intermittent showers. Finished in 47.50 though,which is faster than any of my practice runs. Hubs ran too, finished at 45.57. 2 beers, a small lobster roll, and a cup of chowder for finishers and a nice t-shirt. I gladly accepted all of them.

Feeling relieved (and not as sore as I expected).
    Congratulations. Where did you run? My son ran in the Maine Marathon in Portland.

Comment

• Originally posted by CLS View Post
      Congratulations. Where did you run? My son ran in the Maine Marathon in Portland.
      Hampton Beach. Smuttynose sponsored a half and 5K.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        Hampton Beach. Smuttynose sponsored a half and 5K.
        So have you caught the bug? Do you plan to do another one soon? Should be lots of Turkey Trots (Thanksgiving 5Ks) coming up next month!
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          So have you caught the bug? Do you plan to do another one soon? Should be lots of Turkey Trots (Thanksgiving 5Ks) coming up next month!
          Dude, you're pushing.

Messed up my shoulder about five months ago during a charity hockey game, so I haven't been able to do really any exercise since then (already had plantar fasciitis). With that, I failed to make the necessary changes to my diet at the time and packed on about 30lbs by the time August rolled around, this is in addition to the few lbs I'd already added before then. Starting August 17, I started dropping weight again, averaging about 3lbs/week. I'd like to maintain that rate through the end of the year, getting myself down to about 215, but that rate is very unlikely. So I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing and see where that gets me, which will certainly be a better situation than I am in now.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It has been a ****ty, ****ty summer. Looking forward to getting back on the exercise wagon and not feeling like crap after gall bladder surgery next week. Counting the seconds until I can have coffee again.

Comment

I'm looking, but haven't signed up for another one. Turkey Trots are tough this year as we'll be traveling on Wednesday (it's a 6 hour drive to PA to my parents' place which I will be making on only a few hours of sleep as I'm working Tuesday night into Wednesday morning) and we have plans for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. They have a treadmill, so I'll be able to run, if I want to. There are a couple of Santa/New Year runs, but I think I will wait to see how the winter goes as I don't relish running in frigid or icy weather in NH in the winter. We have access to a gym 24 hours a day in our apartment complex and I don't mind the treadmill (the TV gets the NHL Network and it's almost never busy).

Comment

• Measured myself again:

28.5" waist
                34" hips
                37" chest

And I can wear size 32 pants.

I think it's about time to stop losing weight and focus on maintenance from here on out. I really don't want to be the male equivalent of a size 0 again.
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Running partner from last weekend has encouraged me (and another runner at work) to sign up for the Santa Shuffle on Dec. 3. Good motivation to continue to improve my time -- and consider whether or not I really want to do this running thing for time or distance (another friend suggested the Wine and Dine half marathon next November at Disney...)

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                    Running partner from last weekend has encouraged me (and another runner at work) to sign up for the Santa Shuffle on Dec. 3. Good motivation to continue to improve my time -- and consider whether or not I really want to do this running thing for time or distance (another friend suggested the Wine and Dine half marathon next November at Disney...)
                    You'll do great. Bet you shave 5 minutes off your time!

Comment

• Weighed myself today, and I weigh 207.75. I plan to stop at 200, so I should start coming up with a plan to maintain.

That's always where I've failed in the past. I can gain it, I can lose it, but I can't maintain.

Comment

Maintenance is the toughest part for people who've struggled with their size over the years. Like you, I can drop weight like it's a good habit, but then I'll put it on again far too easily when the weight loss period ends.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Maintenance is the toughest part for people who've struggled with their size over the years. Like you, I can drop weight like it's a good habit, but then I'll put it on again far too easily when the weight loss period ends.
                          The thing I absolutely must learn: my activity level needs to dictate how much I eat. A bowl of soup and some fruit isn't going to cut it for lunch any more. And when I go out, maybe order a fattier menu item.

Comment

Took about 10 days off after our road race due to crazy schedule (4 12-hour overnights interspersed with other overnights in that stretch. Did a light jog for about 30 minutes today and, I never thought I'd say this, it felt good to get back out there again. Mentally, I feel better (physically not as much -- had a few heavy patients and my back is sore from turning them every 2 hours).

Comment

The thing I absolutely must learn: my activity level needs to dictate how much I eat. A bowl of soup and some fruit isn't going to cut it for lunch any more. And when I go out, maybe order a fattier menu item.
                              This is why I try to eat at home as much as possible and be smart when I eat out. At home I can pretty easily eat/make a high protein meal and some greens. When out it just doesn't seem like you can get the right amount of protein at an affordable price in most cases.

You're right though about activity level. When I'm working out 6 days a week doing weights and sprinting I can kinda just eat whatever and maintain. When I'm not (now I play hockey 3 times a week and try to work out 3 minus the sprints) I gotta eat less or at least smarter and that's not always easy, especially if you need to eat carbs to play well.
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 10-12-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                This is why I try to eat at home as much as possible and be smart when I eat out. At home I can pretty easily eat/make a high protein meal and some greens. When out it just doesn't seem like you can get the right amount of protein at an affordable price in most cases.
                                This is my plate at home: 1/4 of the plate is protein, 1/2 the plate is non-starchy vegetables, and the other 1/4 is a starch (potatoes or quinoa).

And when I go out, the "affordable" protein is usually something like a sandwich with no vegetables, or a burger with one lettuce leaf and one slice of tomato. One place I frequent, their dinner entrees are a protein, MAYBE a cup of vegetables, and a bit of potatoes and gravy.

For lunch at work, I have options: There's Panera, Subway, Arby's, McDonald's, and Taco Bell. I keep it between Panera and Subway. Since they both post calorie counts on their menus, I seek middle of the road options. For example, at Subway, their low-fat offerings are typically disappointing, so I order something like the Italian BMT (410 calories for a six-inch).

Comment

Working...
                                X