College Football 2015-16: Bowls, Playoffs, and Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2015-16: Bowls, Playoffs, and Offseason

Derrick Henry from Bama wins the Heisman.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: College Football 2015-16: Bowls, Playoffs, and Offseason

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Derrick Henry from Bama wins the Heisman.

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack&gold View Post
      rly.
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

And Army could not get out of it's way, as they give up chances to score. Other than one play, the Navy offense did nothing in the second half. 14 years in a row for Navy.

Comment

Eddie McDoom (WR) commits to Oregon. I just like the name.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Doing a Bowl Pick'em on Yahoo this year.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo....02c779aea47e8e

password is hockey46.

Comment

Spartan4Life:

Question for you on your PWR spreadsheet. Since I'm reupping my PWR spreadsheet for ASU and I'm trying to redo it to make it easier to add in the future. How did you accomplish the common opponents comparison? Mine is preposterously complicated and is probably able to be simplified. Rather, I hope it is.

I basically have a 60x60 table for each team's wins, a table for losses, and a table for ties. Then there's a 60x60 table for each team's record against common opponents.

This creates a behemoth of a tab. It's pretty ridiculous.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Spartan4Life:

Question for you on your PWR spreadsheet. Since I'm reupping my PWR spreadsheet for ASU and I'm trying to redo it to make it easier to add in the future. How did you accomplish the common opponents comparison? Mine is preposterously complicated and is probably able to be simplified. Rather, I hope it is.

I basically have a 60x60 table for each team's wins, a table for losses, and a table for ties. Then there's a 60x60 table for each team's record against common opponents.

This creates a behemoth of a tab. It's pretty ridiculous.
                I sort of have the same thing. I tried to think of a way to simplify it more but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll think of a way during the offseason. The way I have it set up is there is a tab that I enter all the results into. Each team is headed by the team name, game 1 and 2 results, and then whatever is needed after that. For example, in head to head, you're just counting wins, so total wins goes in that last category. In Adj WP I actually add four more columns for game 1 location, game 2 location, adjusted wins, adjusted losses, and then the final column calculates it. Then for common opponent win percentage I actually screwed it up and had the h2h stat, but since very few teams have rematches I was able to manually change that this year, will go in and fix this offseason.

So example, is Army.

Air Force - Game 1 - Game 2- USAF (this is a code for easy search but also doubles as the WP column)
                Air Force - 0 - 0 - 0
                (this lists all 129 teams I have, so I'll just include some they played)
                Army - W - 0 - 1
                Boise - W- 0- 1
                Michigan State - L - 0 - 0

For Army, who split with FCS it looks like
                FCS - W - L - .5

Then there is a 130x129 table for each team that then has the winning percentages for common opponent, using an equation that matches up with the corresponding team, i.e. Here is the equation to see if Air Force and Army played FCS, and if they did, what Air Force's WP was against FCS.
                =IF(AND(OR($B131="W",$B131="L"),OR($B1171="W",$B1171="L")),$D131,)

So, if there is a win or loss in Air Force's FCS cell, AND there is a win or loss in Army's FCS cell, then take the win percentage AF has in column D.

So for 129 lines for each team it's just 0, 0.5, or 1 depending on the comparisons and whatever. Then line 130 is the sum of those 129. That sum is then placed into another table on another tab that's just 129x129. Then I flip that table so it compares teams against eachother, and then do a "If blank > blank, 1" for the common opponent point.

If i didn't explain it well enough, let me know and I can try to make it easier. I will say, for the equation I posted above, I did that with a macro, because I had to. I think it's around 2 million cells simply for common opponent. Obviously it will be less for you, but still around 216,000, and probably impossible to do manually unless you really like repetitive tasks. If you think it'll work for you, I can PM it to you or something. I had to get help from the Excel forum, because apparently there are people out there who just enjoy making random excel macros for people. Obviously you'd have more columns since some teams can possibly meet up to 7 or 8 times a year, but I think it would work as long as you add in the tie variable to the equations.

For the other equations, I manually inputted, which I will not be doing again because that takes way too much time. I'm going to try to teach myself some advanced VBA so I can just create macros that insert the equations, like matching the sum total line to the next tab that compares them, because with UAB coming back and Coastal Carolina getting a team in the next couple years I'm going to have to add in some extra columns across many tabs as well as about 260 new lines of games, and then redo the source cell for many of the results. Also, if I am able to find a way to rip scores and turn them into wins and losses easily, I want to try to do a pairwise for basketball, but right now it would be nearly impossible to do manually. With around 360 teams it's something like 130,000 lines just for the schedule, times the cells for up to 4 games a year against a team is just enormous.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Yeah, I hear your pain. I have a half-azzed FBS one I did a few years back but mothballed. I had aspirations of expanding that to basketball as well. But I think basketball requires a legit database. The size of the spreadsheet would be almost unusable.

Thanks. I'll let you know if I find a way.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My other problem is that I try to get too flexible with my formulas and tables. I'm thinking that if I actually used named tables it would immensely simplify things.

Right now I'm up around 20 MB and almost all of that is formulas.
                    Code:

Comment

I'm at 25mb, and I'm pretty sure the bulk of that is from the common opponents.

The big thing I would suggest is a common table you can use for each equation like I have. Then you're only having to input a result once, rather than what sounds like multiple times.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Yeah, I need to take a few days to really rekajigger this thing.

So you have a single table of results rather than giving each team a column with a schedule?
                        Code:

Comment

It's sort of a combination. I probably didn't explain it clearly enough in the other post. I give each team a headline line, with column titles for their team name, game 1 result, game 2 result, game 1 location, game 2 location. Then I have a list of every team under them, including that team. So Air Force has Air Force through FCS (put them at the end) as possible opponents. Everyone has that same list of possible opponents. It makes it easier as a template for year to year and when it comes to common opponents later.
                          Then as the season goes I fill in results with W and L and location with H, N, A. Then that master list can be mirrored into other tabs depending on what you need. Like I only need location for one thing so all but one just have the results.

For you, that list is gonna be wider for sure, because theoretically some teams could meet 8 times a season, but after you have that master results list you can copy what you need into other tabs and build the adjusted win percentage or common opponents off of that so everything is somewhat standardized.

Question: do you also use a metric f$&! ton of vlookup?

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            It's sort of a combination. I probably didn't explain it clearly enough in the other post. I give each team a headline line, with column titles for their team name, game 1 result, game 2 result, game 1 location, game 2 location. Then I have a list of every team under them, including that team. So Air Force has Air Force through FCS (put them at the end) as possible opponents. Everyone has that same list of possible opponents. It makes it easier as a template for year to year and when it comes to common opponents later.
                            Then as the season goes I fill in results with W and L and location with H, N, A. Then that master list can be mirrored into other tabs depending on what you need. Like I only need location for one thing so all but one just have the results.

For you, that list is gonna be wider for sure, because theoretically some teams could meet 8 times a season, but after you have that master results list you can copy what you need into other tabs and build the adjusted win percentage or common opponents off of that so everything is somewhat standardized.

Question: do you also use a metric f$&! ton of vlookup?
                            Yes and no. I use a combo of match, index, and lookups. For OW%:
                            =IF(B214="","",IFERROR((HLOOKUP(B102,$A$325:$BI$386,MATCH("SUM",$A$325:$A$386,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B102,$A$325:$BI$386,MATCH(B$524,$A$325:$A$ 386,0),FALSE)+0.5*(HLOOKUP(B102,$A$457:$BI$518,MAT CH("SUM",$A$457:$A$518,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B102,$A$457:$BI$518,MATCH(B$524,$A$457:$A$ 518,0),FALSE)))/(HLOOKUP(B102,$A$325:$BI$386,MATCH("SUM",$A$325:$A$386,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B102,$A$325:$BI$386,MATCH(B$524,$A$325:$A$ 386,0),FALSE)+HLOOKUP(B102,$A$391:$BI$452,MATCH("SUM",$A$391:$A$452,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B102,$A$391:$BI$452,MATCH(B$524,$A$391:$A$ 452,0),FALSE)+HLOOKUP(B102,$A$457:$BI$518,MATCH("SUM",$A$457:$A$518,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B102,$A$457:$BI$518,MATCH(B$524,$A$457:$A$ 518,0),FALSE)),""))

It's ugly, but it works.

Though I'm finding my hockey RPI calculation no longer matches the siouxsports, USCHO, or Rennselaer's RPI. Specifically the OOWP... I'm not sure why either. Take Air Force and Denver:
                            Air Force has Denver's OOWP as .5305. http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin....php?teamid=27

However, if you go to Denver's page and you average the OWP, you get .5322. Which is what I get in my spreadsheet. http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin...s.php?teamid=3

Any idea?

Edit: It's worth noting my OWP matches the listed values. Just not the OOWP or the Opp Win% listed at the top of each page.
                            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-14-2015, 11:02 PM.
                            Code:

Comment

Rick Brattin, State Rep in Missouri is sponsoring a bill to stop football players from protesting as they did this season.

I give him a month before he's so toxic he has to step down.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                              X