Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet XI: Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Re: Nice Planet XI: Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

Time to kill this thread. I've got a doozie for the next one...

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    BTW, did you read the part of that piece that mentioned crows will mass and swarm against their predators? Crows are an opposable thumb away from being the apex predator on this planet.
    Some of us tried (OK, not really more than in passing) to make the case for UND to become the Crows (or Ravens).

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Meanwhile, the party of family values strikes again.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

BTW, did you read the part of that piece that mentioned crows will mass and swarm against their predators? Crows are an opposable thumb away from being the apex predator on this planet.
    Ha! Yeah, crows are smart, but not THAT smart. One of my former neighbors would sit in his garage with a .22 loaded with CB Caps (very small, subsonic rounds with very limited range) and spread popcorn in his driveway. He would kill 5 or 6 before the whole murder (yeah, that's the term for a flock of crows) would get the message and leave the neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I've had a nesting pair of GHOs in my trees for half a decade or more. There are only two natural threats to the GHO: man, bald eagles.

The eagles only mess with the owls when the owls try to move into what the eagles consider their space. And I've lately seen bald eagles soaring my yard and perched within a three mile radius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FFEpF4MJ-M

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

I'd put our horned owls up against those eagles in a second. Those are the owls that are so f-cking insane they eat other owls.
    I've had a nesting pair of GHOs in my trees for half a decade or more. There are only two natural threats to the GHO: man, bald eagles.

The eagles only mess with the owls when the owls try to move into what the eagles consider their space. And I've lately seen bald eagles soaring my yard and perched within a three mile radius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FFEpF4MJ-M

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I'd put our horned owls up against those eagles in a second. Those are the owls that are so f-cking insane they eat other owls.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Live cam gonna live cam.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...their-eaglets/

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

So, crazy dude wants to commit suicide; he jumps into lion's den, strips, gets mauled, and they kill the cats. I only feel sorry for the lions and the people who had to put them down.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/22/americ...-suicide-trnd/
    Lions gonna lion. This was clearly a situation where everybody was winning -- don't get in the way.

Heard a (slightly) related story on the Beeb. Apparently they have had to shut off a bunch of live nest-cams around the US because, well, sometimes Nature natures. On the one at Woods Hole an eagle mom smelled something wrong with her chicks, so she methodically killed them live and in color. People freaked the f-ck out and screamed for the staff to save the eaglets, and the staff said "no, this is what Nature does. Get over your Disney bullsh-t." Then people threatened their funding because people are f-cking stupid.

So I was being all Holier Than Thou listening to this and then they talked about the San Diego Zoo feeding their owls a cat and I lost my sh-t and nearly drove off the road.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-23-2016, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

So, crazy dude wants to commit suicide; he jumps into lion's den, strips, gets mauled, and they kill the cats. I only feel sorry for the lions and the people who had to put them down.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/22/americ...-suicide-trnd/

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

The quickening WAS when she could feel it. Rarely have I seen a more perfect self-contradiction.
    Blackstone used the "quick" (feel kick means alive) as the reference point. That's the best tech they had to define "quick" (motion, indicating alive).

Today's tech allows us to find "quick" (motion, indicating alive) before the mother can sense it.

The "quick" (motion, indicating alive) is the key:
    - You're thinking "quick" as in "mother feels motion so alive".
    - Why not see it as "motion sensed*, indicates life".

*ultrasound

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Just saying, his whole argument is now known to be predicated upon a 27 year old episode of a TV show known for having characters take logically extreme positions to show themselves as preposterous in light of normal human interactions.
    Oh. Wesley.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Ah yes, "quickening" ... Current medical science has proven there is "quick" ("alive" in old vernacular) before the mother can feel it. Do we disregard that?
    The quickening WAS when she could feel it. Rarely have I seen a more perfect self-contradiction.

To step out of the ring, briefly, you said yourself it's a spectrum. That the real numbers are continuous doesn't make 4 = 9.

edit: real, not natural. ****, ****, ****. That would have left a mark in a debate.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Whoopie?
    Just saying, his whole argument is now known to be predicated upon a 27 year old episode of a TV show known for having characters take logically extreme positions to show themselves as preposterous in light of normal human interactions.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    That's a line from Star Trek: The Next Generation, used by an alien that looked like a sentient blob of hot tar.
    Another lump of ... uh ... cells?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X