Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet XI: Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet XI: Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
    Clearly that's indicative of hiring across the country and also that they are hiring a lot of people seeing as the signs are still up.
    Which means, if one wants a job, at least in my state, you can get one.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Your anecdotal evidence of hiring signs means no such thing. Let alone that someone can pick up a second or third job that won't conflict with the first hours. Or that so many jobs is a reasonable thing for a person to need.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
        Your anecdotal evidence of hiring signs means no such thing. Let alone that someone can pick up a second or third job that won't conflict with the first hours. Or that so many jobs is a reasonable thing for a person to need.
        It's a matter of are people willing to work a crappy job. Simple as that.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Actually, as someone who as unemployed for almost a year I can tell you that a lot of those signs are up for openings that dont exist. The idea is to get as many people on file a possible because the jobs are low rent and tend to have fluid employment.

Also, speaking again as someone who was unemployed for almost a year I can tell you that finding a job is not a easy as you think it is and I resent you and others who act like you must be lazy if you dont have a job. It is myopic and it is wrong. It is the kind of tripe I would expect from out of touch politicians but not everyday people.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Your simplistic view is shocking...I am sure you know everyone who is on welfare and know they arent looking for work. I sincerely hope you never lose your job and have to see what it is really like out there.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Actually, as someone who as unemployed for almost a year I can tell you that a lot of those signs are up for openings that dont exist. The idea is to get as many people on file a possible because the jobs are low rent and tend to have fluid employment.

Also, speaking again as someone who was unemployed for almost a year I can tell you that finding a job is not a easy as you think it is and I resent you and others who act like you must be lazy if you dont have a job. It is myopic and it is wrong. It is the kind of tripe I would expect from out of touch politicians but not everyday people.

I wasn't unemployed, but had a part time gig that left me stuck with my parents. Obviously it wasn't sustainable. I worked my rear off to get something full time. Wasn't happening. For three effing years it wasn't happening. Luckily, my girlfriend (now fiancee) had a mother at the place I'm working at now. I see the people they are hiring into this job. No way I get it without her recommendation.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Just saying we can't (won't?) take care of our own, but hey, let's let 10K in.
                First of all no one in the GOP is spouting off about them being potential welfare babies as their reason to oppose their entry. And to be clear not only is it a blip, but why do they need to be taken care of? If you've ever met an immigrant I'd stake my paycheck the majority of those eligible will be every bit as hardworking and intent on succeeding as the average American if not more so. Again the aversion to the 10k is illogical and a distraction from our real issues when it comes to national security.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  First of all no one in the GOP is spouting off about them being potential welfare babies as their reason to oppose their entry. And to be clear not only is it a blip, but why do they need to be taken care of? If you've ever met an immigrant I'd stake my paycheck the majority of those eligible will be every bit as hardworking and intent on succeeding as the average American if not more so. Again the aversion to the 10k is illogical and a distraction from our real issues when it comes to national security.
                  Well, according to Handy, there are no jobs out there. And I'm not speaking for the GOP. I'm speaking for myself.

And Handy, I DID say that there are some that are on welfare that DO need it, for good reasons. Don't just take out the parts you don't like.

Comment

You sound exactly like the sanctimonious putz I know who said, on the record, "Obviously all honest work is commendable, but we're talking about a $10/hr job here. I could go get one of those this afternoon if I needed to."

Yes, there are people who game the system. But the vast majority do not. Somehow that clearly means to you that we need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      You sound exactly like the sanctimonious putz I know who said, on the record, "Obviously all honest work is commendable, but we're talking about a $10/hr job here. I could go get one of those this afternoon if I needed to."
                      Hey, if someone has a job, good for them (no sarcasm). No one should be "above" working those jobs, IMO.

Comment

Brent, one thing you are failing to account for is that a lot of employers won't fill their McJobs with educated applicants who have white collar or trade career histories. So when the average USCHO poster loses their job, it's unlikely they could just walk into the neighborhood fast food joint and get a $10/hr job.

Comment

It's been three years since I was last unemployed, *knocks on wood that I never go through that again* but I ran into exactly what F2B&G and others have mentioned. I, even as an NMU graduate, was overqualified to even attain entry level positions in my industry. I was too qualified to even be a CAD monkey. Repeatedly I was asked "why are you even applying for this position?" as if I should be looking down upon the position.

Sure there are $8.50/hr, $10/hr positions, but the struggle is real for those positions.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

And then there are those on the right PRAISING the Planned Parenthood shooter.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthro...ed-him-a-hero/
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Well, according to Handy, there are no jobs out there. And I'm not speaking for the GOP. I'm speaking for myself.

And Handy, I DID say that there are some that are on welfare that DO need it, for good reasons. Don't just take out the parts you don't like.
                              You make it sound like it is a small amount of people which is most certainly isnt and then yo used horrible anecdotal evidence to prove the point. Sorry but no.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                It's been three years since I was last unemployed, *knocks on wood that I never go through that again* but I ran into exactly what F2B&G and others have mentioned. I, even as an NMU graduate, was overqualified to even attain entry level positions in my industry. I was too qualified to even be a CAD monkey. Repeatedly I was asked "why are you even applying for this position?" as if I should be looking down upon the position.

Sure there are $8.50/hr, $10/hr positions, but the struggle is real for those positions.
                                Exactly, why would an employer want to go thru the process of training somebody who might not even be there 2 months later when you really need that position filled? Most of them feel that if somebody is overqualified for the job, they're going to be looking for another job while they're working another job. I ran into that a bit when I got out of college and was looking for some employment. Had a few places pretty much tell me that I was overqualified for the positions they had open. Heck, I'm pretty sure the reason I did get hired in to the place where i worked for a few years because they had just implemented a new drug testing procedure and I could easily pass a drug test.
                                Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                And then there are those on the right PRAISING the Planned Parenthood shooter.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthro...ed-him-a-hero/
                                Sometimes you just really do wish for the zombie apocalypse.
                                Last edited by bigmrg74; 11-29-2015, 07:52 PM.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X