X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Who knows? Maybe one day I'll be your driver!
    I'm a Restonian now. Dear Leader tells us to drive ourselves for transclass solidarity.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Charge offs are on the rise... http://www.businessinsider.com/credi...ds-fall-2017-6

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Did anybody not see that coming?
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Did anybody not see that coming?
          Seems like that would be a leading indicator of VERY BAD THINGS.

Or, we have established the amount of time it takes the American consumer to forget everything. It's 10 years.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Or, we have established the amount of time it takes the American consumer to forget everything. It's 10 years.
            It is. This was part of the run-up to what eventually happened with housing. People started defaulting on their mortgages because people who weren't really qualified under traditional, stricter rules, were now taking out larger mortgages than they could afford. There's been talk in DC about loosening mortgage requirements again, and some mortgage companies are excited for it.

When you consider the number of homes being built, the number of baby boomers who'll be dying off soon, and the possibility of another mortgage crisis, it may make 2007 look like just a bump in the road. The question then becomes if the defaults will be hidden, lacking a better term at the moment, within CDS tranches like they were last time.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Sad.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So...this is what life in "Basic" Economy is like (and also what it's like mentally, to be the ***** with status, and to be in first class). It's over-the-top and unrealistic in its approach (8 straight days of flying? Really?) - sort of an essayist Super Size Me for air travel - but it details most of our legitimate frustrations with the US air carriers. As far as entertainment value, the author mentions the term "gate lice", as well as demonstrates a classic example of a "DYKWIA" passenger. However, she should be listed on the @PassengerShaming Twitter account for wearing a onesie in public, let alone on a flight. Leave the pajamas at home, ma'am.

Also, this:

Here are some things I’ve done recently: challenged a T.S.A. agent who ordered me to remove a Kleenex from my pocket, sat in the wrong seat on a flight and claimed it was the other person’s fault, told a lost-bag agent that I was about to miss my next flight when it was not true, sat on the floor at a departure gate in order to charge my phone, and, at a low moment, jostled my seatmate’s arm right off our shared armrest while pretending I was doing something else.
                Bolded - only ever had to do that in St. Louis, because their airport is stuck in the 90s (they still charge for WiFi! ).

Comment

So, I spent the last week in suburban Oklahoma City. I had to go to a Twin Peaks twice this past week (boss' choice, and then clients' choice - not mine). On one hand, I can see why it exists - the "talent" and food are a marginal step up from Hooters, and so are the prices. On the other hand, I feel places like this exist to give 20 year-old anorexic Millennial girls stuck in sh*tholes like Oklahoma City a place to work.

On the plus side, we all agreed that if more on-site time is required, we're doing it at the client's HQ in LA. Wait, LA is a plus? Fark.

Comment

Top 1%? According to an OpEd in The New York Times, it is the top 20% that has grown rich at the expense of the lower 80%.

Title: Stop Pretending You're Not Rich.

The United States is more calcified by class than Britain, especially toward the top. The big difference is that most of the people on the highest rung in America are in denial about their privilege. The American myth of meritocracy allows them to attribute their position to their brilliance and diligence, rather than to luck or a rigged system....

Beneath a veneer of classlessness, the American class reproduction machine operates with ruthless efficiency. In particular, the upper middle class is solidifying. This favored fifth at the top of the income distribution, with an average annual household income of $200,000, has been separating from the 80 percent below. Collectively, this top fifth has seen a $4 trillion-plus increase in pretax income since 1979, compared to just over $3 trillion for everyone else. Some of those gains went to the top 1 percent. But most went to the 19 percent just beneath them.

The rhetoric of “We are the 99 percent” has in fact been dangerously self-serving, allowing people with healthy six-figure incomes to convince themselves that they are somehow in the same economic boat as ordinary Americans, and that it is just the so-called super rich who are to blame for inequality. [emphasis added]....

Most of the children born into households in the top 20 percent will stay there or drop only as far as the next quintile....

On the one hand, upper-middle-class Americans believe they are operating in a meritocracy (a belief that allows them to feel entitled to their winnings); on the other hand, they constantly engage in antimeritocratic behavior in order to give their own children a leg up....

the upper middle class starts to rig markets in its own favor, to the detriment of others. Take housing, perhaps the most significant example. Exclusionary zoning practices allow the upper middle class to live in enclaves....For the upper middle classes, regardless of their professed political preferences, zoning, wealth, tax deductions and educational opportunity reinforce one another in a virtuous cycle.
                    Wikipedia puts the top 20% at household incomes of $92,000 and higher.....
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Top 1%? According to an OpEd in The New York Times, it is the top 20% that has grown rich at the expense of the lower 80%.
                      Nice try, kitten.
                      Cornell University

Comment

And by keeping real wages stagnant, they're driving more and more families down and them up. It's not Dems and it's not the GOP, it's the oligarchs who have the money and the power. The politicians are a tool to keep the status quo.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          And by keeping real wages stagnant, they're driving more and more families down and them up. It's not Dems and it's not the GOP, it's the oligarchs who have the money and the power. The politicians are a tool to keep the status quo.

BUT THE GOP IS THE MORE EFFECTIVE TOOL OF THE OLIGARCHS!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but why can't you see this?!

WHY?!

I'm shouting again. Sorry.

But here's the thing, you do understand the inequality problem. Your statement proves you know the villain of the piece here. You get it.... almost. But there you sit still willing to vote for the GOP whose MISSION STATEMENT, whose only purpose in life, is to execute the oligarchs' will. That's the GOP. "It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear."

And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until democracy is dead.

There are definitely Democrats who are terrible and do this too. But still, overarching all, there is a fundamental difference. With the Dems it's a bug. With the GOP, it's their religion. They do it ON PURPOSE because that's the change they want to see in the world.

This is the exact point of misunderstanding for smart and non-sociopathic Republicans, so I gotta ask you:

WHY
                          DO
                          YOU
                          NOT
                          SEE
                          THIS
                          ???

I'll take my answer off the air.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

BUT THE GOP IS THE MORE EFFECTIVE TOOL OF THE OLIGARCHS!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but why can't you see this?!

WHY?!

I'm shouting again. Sorry.

But here's the thing, you do understand the inequality problem. Your statement proves you know the villain of the piece here. You get it.... almost. But there you sit still willing to vote for the GOP whose MISSION STATEMENT, whose only purpose in life, is to execute the oligarchs' will. That's the GOP. "It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear."

And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until democracy is dead.

There are definitely Democrats who are terrible and do this too. But still, overarching all, there is a fundamental difference. With the Dems it's a bug. With the GOP, it's their religion. They do it ON PURPOSE because that's the change they want to see in the world.

This is the exact point of misunderstanding for smart and non-sociopathic Republicans, so I gotta ask you:

WHY
                            DO
                            YOU
                            NOT
                            SEE
                            THIS
                            ???

I'll take my answer off the air.
                            I would wager he does, but he's a single issue voter, and the GOP is anti-abortion. All else may be sacrificed for that one thing, even if it doesn't make rational sense or results in objectively worse outcomes for society as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              I would wager he does, but he's a single issue voter, and the GOP is anti-abortion. All else may be sacrificed for that one thing, even if it doesn't make rational sense or results in objectively worse outcomes for society as a whole.
                              It's usually either abortion or guns. The voters don't care about anything else, that's why the GOP gets so much loyalty.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Abortion is an important issue to me, just as something else is to you.

I would have voted for a pro choice catholic Joe Biden.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X