This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

The reality is that a majority of executives are like Trump (though many of them are smarter). The only responsibility of a corporation, public or private, is to return a profit to its owners.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      The reality is that a majority of executives are like Trump (though many of them are smarter). The only responsibility of a corporation, public or private, is to return a profit to its owners.
      The second statement has only been true since the 80's, and even then not universally so. Traditionally corporations have numerous stakeholders; the owners, the managers, the employees, the customers, and even society. Then some greedy farkers gained a foothold in Harvard Business School and here's where we ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I just can't bring myself to shop at Lowe's and Menard's doesn't have the same level of quality in their products. Plus their owner is kind of a knuckledragger himself.
        The owner of Menard's had language added to his managers' work instructions that included not on the need, the the how-to portion, of busting up any talk of unionizing by the sales staff.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, this sure sounds like a limp-wristed how-to-handle policy

http://gawker.com/menards-the-gold-s...ers-1748301120
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            The owner of Menard's had language added to his managers' work instructions that included not on the need, the the how-to portion, of busting up any talk of unionizing by the sales staff.
            Unions hurt the workers anyway. They don't care one lick about the quality of work, just how long you've given to their political action committee.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Yeah, this sure sounds like a limp-wristed how-to-handle policy

http://gawker.com/menards-the-gold-s...ers-1748301120
              Wal-Mart is up there too. Covered that in orientation when I started again with them in 2014.

Tyson is also non-union, but if we hear any reports of unions recruiting on the grounds, we're simply to avoid and tell security.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Ahhh. Wall Street. Push electrons and spend other peoples' money.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40095102
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

My best friend from childhood is an economist and an attorney, but also, very weirdly, a Trumpie. (He works in NYC and has developed a pathological hatred of immigrants from litigating insurance fraud cases for the last 15 years).

I trust him to evaluate anything with hard numbers and econ theory fairly, and I sent him this with the question, "any rebuttal?"

He usually answers with detailed fisking of the source. This time his response, in full, reads as follows:

Nope. It's a horrible plan.
                  So Trump has literally lost his only intelligent supporter.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2017, 07:41 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The epi-pen people are still getting their big price for their product.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Inside baseball: how the BAT died, and with it likely the meager chance of the GOP getting their ludicrous and disgusting giveaway to the rich.

This is very important because it's the only thing the Ryan Wing of the GOP cares about. A substantial part of the GOP, though less than ten years ago, exists only to steal from the middle class and give to the rich. This has been the GOP MO ever since Reagan's tax cuts, through every Republican president and Congressional majority since, and is even behind Republican-nominated SCOTUS picks. It's the only reason the party exists -- the only thing it stands for -- and with a generational opportunity to reduce the American 99% further into penury and debt slavery it looks like they may have blown it, despite their clean sweep of government.

Obviously they'll still try to jam it through and there will be NO help from any Republican on grounds of process or democratic standards, nor the corporate media because, duh, its owners stand directly to gain. But it's all the more important to keep pushing the orcs back until we have our chance in 2018 to kick them out. This is 6000 families against 300 million people. America is broken and lofo conservatives will still vote stupidly on their emotions, but PERHAPS we are in the process of dodging a bullet all because the Flatulent Fluffer in the West Wing can't find his as-s with two hands and a map.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Amazing what happens when you remove the ability to mooch. http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...ad_85_per.html

Comment

Interesting concept

http://info.rentlikeachampion.com/th...acationInsider
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It's just more of the same. It's ebay. It's uber. It is the idea of providing a good or service outside of what has been considered the normal "chain" of business.

It's interesting, and it's certainly going to expand into other areas. But it's the wild, wild west out there. You might get a great place to stay. You might even get it dramatically cheaper than staying at a hotel or resort. Just like that uber ride may be a lot cheaper. But you also just bought a whole lot of caveat emptor.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              But you also just bought a whole lot of caveat emptor.
                              Yup. I am too risk averse even to use Uber. These things are for the young at heart, and cardiacally speaking I am about 738 years old.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Yup. I am too risk averse even to use Uber. These things are for the young at heart, and cardiacally speaking I am about 738 years old.
                                Who knows? Maybe one day I'll be your driver!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X