This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Pretty soon, it's going to be "Robots and computers are stealing your jerbs!", and then the purge of Silicon Valley will begin.
    A repetition of the riots in England ~200 years ago.

Speaking of riots, Spirit Airlines cancelled 9 flights out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. The passengers were not amused and things got a bit ugly. Police were called and arrests were made.

Spirit blamed the pilots for an "unwarranted job action". The pilots blame Spirit.
    Last edited by joecct; 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Pretty soon, it's going to be "Robots and computers are stealing your jerbs!", and then the purge of Silicon Valley will begin.
      Didn't they make the same arguments in the Industrial Revolution with automated machinery? And how are we doing today?

That's one thing I enjoy about my field. With the automation of some tasks, we can create more and more complex things to where we're still able to be useful. Implementation may be a science, but design and creativity will always be an art.

Comment

This is a very good idea in any working environment.

Asymmetry of information is one of the major ways management aids ownership in exploiting labor. We can't help that in most things (profits, operating capital, etc) but we can share all our compensation information. Think of what happened when athletes started to know each other's salaries.

The fact that this is taboo just tells you who controls cultural mores. They don't call it hegemony for nothing.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Asymmetry of information is one of the major ways management aids ownership in exploiting labor. We can't help that in most things (profits, operating capital, etc) but we can share all our compensation information. Think of what happened when athletes started to know each other's salaries.

The fact that this is taboo just tells you who controls cultural mores. They don't call it hegemony for nothing.
          I'm a multi-millionaire...

...in yen and pesos.

Don't know what these entitled, union media jerks are whining about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Monday is the 126th Anniversary of this.

Let the working man and the employer make free agreements, and in particular let them agree freely as to the wages; nevertheless, there underlies a dictate of natural justice more imperious and ancient than any bargain between man and man, namely, that wages ought not to be insufficient to support a frugal and well-behaved wage-earner. If through necessity or fear of a worse evil the workman accept harder conditions because an employer or contractor will afford him no better, he is made the victim of force and injustice.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Monday is the 126th Anniversary of this.
              Those are beautiful words. I wish there was more of that from churchmen today.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Huh

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...uction/526635/
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Banks love the deduction since it encourages people to get a bigger mortgage than they otherwise would have requested. So it becomes another income transfer, though an indirect effect in this case, from the middle class to the wealthiest stockholders of those banks (middle class people really own very little stock when compared in aggregate).
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The wealthiest stockholders tend to be pensions and institutions. I'd be curious how much the average middle class person with a retirement account has in the stock market relative to the average 1%er. As a percentage of assets, I would guess the wealthiest Americans have a smaller portion of their wealth and retirement in the stock markets. And pension holdings aren't anything to sneeze at.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Banana Slugs put in some data on wealth held by the various income brackets.

And this site, which I've never heard of before, details how they invest their money. And it emphasizes diversification.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

What does anybody here know about Sullivan & Cromwell?

As a rank outsider, it seems to me that they might just, um, run the world?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          What does anybody here know about Sullivan & Cromwell?

As a rank outsider, it seems to me that they might just, um, run the world?
                          All I know about them is summarized by this one story.

A close friend of mine (we worked for the same company back in the 1980's) has a brother-in-law who graduated from law school in about 1984 or so. His first job was with Sullivan and Cromwell and he was paid a starting wage of $150,000/yr. This guy would periodically call my friend and complain/laugh. S&C had him sitting in an office doing literally nothing. He just sat there. He got to attend a couple of meetings with about 8 other lawyers, but that was it. At the end of the year, he quit and moved out of New York. Said it drove him crazy.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, this is interesting in a depressing sort of way...

https://insight.factset.com/earningsinsight_05.19.17
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hunt the rich down, skin them, and wear them to prom.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I just can't bring myself to shop at Lowe's and Menard's doesn't have the same level of quality in their products. Plus their owner is kind of a knuckledragger himself.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X