• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Where was the steel sourced?
    "100% Drop-Forged US Steel"

I'll grant you, the source of the steel itself may be a marketing sleight-of-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I have a hammer completely made in the US, including the wooden handle & steel head. It cost 2.5x what the Chinese ones did.

May be a different story for power tools, but if it exists, it will be expensive.
      Trusty Cook makes hammers in the US, but they are dead blows not your traditional all steel hammer.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Craftsman is not junk. I have a bunch of their tools in the garage. They stand up far better than everything else.

No tools are made here anymore. Not the steel, not the labor, nothing
        Craftsman used to be quality tools at a good price now you would be better off at Harbor Freight. At least you would know up front you were buying junk.

Lots of tools still made in US, Ideal bought SK and make all their hand tools here. Proto makes tools here. Snap On, Mac, Matco, professional type tools, all make hand tools here but generally have Taiwan or China offerings also. Wright tool company makes tools here in the US. The list could go on. Probably won't know any of these brands as they are marketed to mechanics or industrial users but they are made here. Hopefully Stanley starts building some of their stuff here again. The problem is folks want cheap crap instead of tools that can be passed down for generations.

http://www.wrighttool.com/
        https://trustycook.com/
        http://www.skhandtool.com/
        Last edited by walrus; 01-06-2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I'll bet my craftsman set lasts 30+ years.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I'll bet my craftsman set lasts 30+ years.
            Is it made in the US or in china?. I have my dad's craftsman stuff. I have craftsman stuff I bought in the 70s. Tons of professional mechanics used craftsman tools, not anymore.

Comment

This is good. Vaclav Havel would have approved.

If we are to change our world view, images have to change. The artist now has a very important job to do. He's not a little peripheral figure entertaining rich people, he's really needed.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Is it made in the US or in china?. I have my dad's craftsman stuff. I have craftsman stuff I bought in the 70s. Tons of professional mechanics used craftsman tools, not anymore.
                I still have a ratchet set I bought when I was in Boy Scouts, working on the Home Repairs merit badge. I don't recall who made it though. That was last millennium.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I still fail to see how 585/mo will give more incentive to work than 0/month.
                  It depends in part on how the services of the social support network are delivered. We already give everyone in this country a basic income, except it is disguised because it is provided in the form of Medicaid, SNAP, Section 8, etc.

I am totally fine with helping people in need be fed, clothed and housed.

I do think it would work better if we just added up the cost of all that assistance, and gave people that amount in cash instead, and then let them pay directly for those services that they really want. At first it would look like the same outlay, but over time it would reduce administrative state overhead and also empower people.

I know there are concerns that some people who receive the cash would not spend it the way we'd like them to spend it, and that can be a problem with neglectful parents and needy children. At the same time, we could shift government employment from monitoring a number of different programs separately into monitoring the universe of all programs holistically. I think we'd all be better off, and it also would be a great unifying gesture: the left wants to help people but doesn't trust people to act on their own, while the right likes to harness market forces to improve outcomes in ways that no one can foresee ahead of time. It seems to me that we'd get the best of both while avoiding the worst of both by just giving everyone their basic income 100% in cash and then let them buy whatever benefits they choose with it (housing, food, access to healthcare, education and job training, etc.).

I think an honest accounting of the value of all those in-kind services would be really helpful in setting better public policy.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It depends in part on how the services of the social support network are delivered. We already give everyone in this country a basic income, except it is disguised because it is provided in the form of Medicaid, SNAP, Section 8, etc.

I am totally fine with helping people in need be fed, clothed and housed.

I do think it would work better if we just added up the cost of all that assistance, and gave people that amount in cash instead, and then let them pay directly for those services that they really want. At first it would look like the same outlay, but over time it would reduce administrative state overhead and also empower people.

I know there are concerns that some people who receive the cash would not spend it the way we'd like them to spend it, and that can be a problem with neglectful parents and needy children. At the same time, we could shift government employment from monitoring a number of different programs separately into monitoring the universe of all programs holistically. I think we'd all be better off, and it also would be a great unifying gesture: the left wants to help people but doesn't trust people to act on their own, while the right likes to harness market forces to improve outcomes in ways that no one can foresee ahead of time. It seems to me that we'd get the best of both while avoiding the worst of both by just giving everyone their basic income 100% in cash and then let them buy whatever benefits they choose with it (housing, food, access to healthcare, education and job training).
                    Who are you and what have you done with FreshFish?

On second thought, I don't want to know. Ping me if you need help disposing of the cadaver.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've had some thoughts about welfare reform as well, somewhat along the same lines. I don't remember everything I had come up with, but the biggest points for me were:

Requesting person/family has to actually present a budget of what is required. No gaming the system's high pay; you get what you need and no extra. I would have it reviewed at the county level, but I was thinking more of a NYS reform at the time I had come up with this. It also helps to educate the requesters on what they're actually spending and where improvements, if any, can be made, from any angle.
                      Requesters must actually put in work hours, whether by employment or volunteer community service. Similar to Maine's plan, although I'd go higher on the number of hours, and also include a 1-2 month stop-gap period. Travel to other places in the country for employment interviews would be included in the stop-gap, albeit expenses would be as strict as government-funded work travel. Don't contribute? You don't get anything.
                      Requesters must show evidence of inability to otherwise pay to qualify for financial assistance. However, I would consider also offering any packages that are offered to qualified requesters at competitive prices to non-qualifiers in order to not only help gain revenue through bulk pricing, but also keep the providers honest. Absolutely no mandate, though: People can go to whatever source they want.

Part of the inspiration came from a county grocery program that used to happen where I grew up (not sure if it still happens now, though; I don't live there presently, and we didn't participate at the time I left). Each month or so, for a nominal price (whether cash or food stamps), you could buy a decent amount of generally non-perishable groceries that would last until the next time the program made an offering.

Comment

Interesting. While the profile of this grows, and the experiments return results and build a best practices toolkit, it's going to get harder for the knucks to keep this idea out of the US media.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Interesting. While the profile of this grows, and the experiments return results and build a best practices toolkit, it's going to get harder for the knucks to keep this idea out of the US media.
                          I doubt it. We still don't have universal health care, mandatory paid parental leave, or even mandatory paid sick leave. And you think we'll be shamed into a UBI?

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                            We still don't have universal health care
                            um, I thought the law required emergency rooms to provide treatment to everyone who needs it? That sounds like universal health care, and while we might complain that it is "substandard," I'd bet 75% of the world's population would be delighted to have it. Health care and health insurance are two very different things, and it sounds like you are confusing the two.

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                            And you think we'll be shamed into a UBI?
                            We already have one in disguised form, do we not? I thought anyone who couldn't afford food qualified for SNAP, anyone who couldn't afford health insurance had Medicaid, etc. Isn't the more important question not whether we have it, but how to make it work better than what we have now? I'd very much prefer that, out of a fixed budget, substantially more value be delivered to recipients by improving delivery services and reducing administrative overhead. Analogous to school systems these days having more administrators than teachers; what sense does that make?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              um, I thought the law required emergency rooms to provide treatment to everyone who needs it? That sounds like universal health care, and while we might complain that it is "substandard," I'd bet 75% of the world's population would be delighted to have it. Health care and health insurance are two very different things, and it sounds like you are confusing the two.

We already have one in disguised form, do we not? I thought anyone who couldn't afford food qualified for SNAP, anyone who couldn't afford health insurance had Medicaid, etc. Isn't the more important question not whether we have it, but how to make it work better than what we have now? I'd very much prefer that, out of a fixed budget, substantially more value be delivered to recipients by improving delivery services and reducing administrative overhead. Analogous to school systems these days having more administrators than teachers; what sense does that make?
                              sigh
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                I doubt it. We still don't have universal health care, mandatory paid parental leave, or even mandatory paid sick leave. And you think we'll be shamed into a UBI?
                                I agree that corporate control of media has so far ensured that only plute policies are permitted to be discussed in front of the vast majority of citizens. But that's changing and the change is being driven by, of all people, the far right. Extremely stupid wingnut rightwing ideas are now part of the national discourse. Some of these, like the anti-immigration hysteria of a few years ago, run directly counter the interests of the plutes.

We can learn a lot from the Morlocks when it comes to reaching people. This is a fantastic guide to how to effectively fight for a sincerely leftist agenda, and it is overtly inspired by the Tea Party boobocracy. I hope every Democrat in the country reads it and acts on it.

"The people united can never be defeated" is bullsh-t. We have been defeated going on 60 years as the rest of the world surpassed us first in rights then in quality of life. You can't just fight hard to win, you have to fight smart, especially when confronted by the soft fascism of the monetization of politics in America. Scoob seems to think that only its replacement by the hard fascism growing on the right can shock Americans into reclaiming our country. I don't believe that is so. People will vote their interests, but until we can criminalize the bribery that makes our government the personal property of the 1%, we need to overwhelm the political class with the dire threat of unemployment if they do not follow our will.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X