X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If tD and/or HRC show up in the findings, I will have a laughing fit that may last hours
    There's a reason the DC Madam quote hanged herself unquote.

I hope the people doing this reporting have some serious security. A lot of extremely powerful and wealthy people don't want their criminal activities known to the plebs.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Not sure where else to put this: Alaska Airlines to purchase Virgin America.

Don't really understand it beyond trying to keep JetBlue out. Fleet commonality is a huge problem, Alaska runs all 737s vs Virgin running all A320s. Just feel this is gonna tank AS.
      I was reading about that earlier today. Richard Branson is mad as hell at the DOT because it limits foreign owners of airlines to 25% of outstanding voting stock, so he couldn't take control to vote against the takeover. He seemed genuinely peeved, and probably like he was a fairly decent boss to have.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If you don't have an unmarried daughter, you can skip this article. If you do, read 'em and weep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-u-s-wedding/?

FYI 10 years ago, my daughter was married. It was the most painless $30,000 I've ever spent. The bills come in bits and pieces. Not until it is all over and you add it all up do you realize you could have replaced the 15 year old sedan with what you paid.

And to think that compared to the marriage, the wedding is but a blink in time.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you don't have an unmarried daughter, you can skip this article. If you do, read 'em and weep.

FYI 10 years ago, my daughter was married. It was the most painless $30,000 I've ever spent. The bills come in bits and pieces. Not until it is all over and you add it all up do you realize you could have replaced the 15 year old sedan with what you paid.

And to think that compared to the marriage, the wedding is but a blink in time.

I have a friend that does wedding planning here on Mount Desert Island. Last summer he had a family drop over half a million dollars on their daughter's wedding. This included renting an entire hotel for guests. They ended up blowing their budget by a huge amount, and said "don't worry about the cost" after they had already given him a check for $500K.
          Last edited by BassAle; 04-07-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I have an unmarried daughter who has a brain and self-esteem. She's not going to get conned into an expensive wedding by the Princess Industry, and neither are her parents nor her husband.

Dr. Mrs. and I were married for a total cost of $35.25. It would have been $35 even but it was a Tuesday so we had to feed the meter.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              I have a friend that does wedding planning here on Mount Desert Island. Last summer he had a family drop over half a million dollars on their daughter's wedding. This included renting an entire hotel for guests. They ended up blowing their budget by a huge amount, and said "don't worry about the cost" after they had already given him a check for $500K.
              My aunt used to work for a high end flower shop in DC (Kennedy Center, White House, etc.) and they would have a few weddings per year where the *flower* budget was over $100k. Thousands of tulips flown in from Holland, that sort of thing.

It's good to be the king.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                My aunt used to work for a high end flower shop in DC (Kennedy Center, White House, etc.) and they would have a few weddings per year where the *flower* budget was over $100k. Thousands of tulips flown in from Holland, that sort of thing.

It's good to be the king.
                I was thinking "a fool and his money something something..."
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I have an unmarried daughter who has a brain and self-esteem. She's not going to get conned into an expensive wedding by the Princess Industry, and neither are her parents nor her husband.

Dr. Mrs. and I were married for a total cost of $35.25. It would have been $35 even but it was a Tuesday so we had to feed the meter.
                  Just so I will know in 20+ years when my daughter potentially decides to get married, how expensive does the wedding have to be for me to be certain that she lacks either a brain, or self esteem?

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                    Just so I will know in 20+ years when my daughter potentially decides to get married, how expensive does the wedding have to be for me to be certain that she lacks either a brain, or self esteem?
                    If it's reaching the price of a brand new Kia, you should start to show concern. If it's the price of a four-year-old Honda in decent condition, you should start to worry that you're approaching Kia territory. If she's having a pig roast at the park with a sheet cake from the local warehouse club store, you're either golden or raised a hippie.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      If it's reaching the price of a brand new Kia, you should start to show concern. If it's the price of a four-year-old Honda in decent condition, you should start to worry that you're approaching Kia territory. If she's having a pig roast at the park with a sheet cake from the local warehouse club store, you're either golden or raised a hippie.
                      Excellent, thank you. I've bookmarked for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                        ****ed if I know; you'll have to make that judgment yourself.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          The amount of money on mdi is unreal so I'm not shocked
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            The amount of money on mdi is unreal so I'm not shocked
                            These people were from Texas and the husband and wife flew on separate private jets in case one crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              These people were from Texas and the husband and wife flew on separate private jets in case one crashed.
                              there is one Texan on the island who is a grocery distributor, billionaire, he is the guy who trucked the full grown apple tree down from the former Merrill orchard. Had to cost 50,000 grand to move that tree.
                              I have a buddy working on Indian Point, Chicago finance guy building a compound, he is planning on being on this site for 18 months just doing HVAC control wiring. Not the HVAC, not electrical for the houses, just controls. He said some days there has to be 150 guys on the job site. Safe room in the house just in case one of you islanders wants to kidnap him or something
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

And, if you're planning the honeymoon, avoid Carnival Cruise lines and Cuba
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X