X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Wait until negative interest rates get here like they are starting to do in Europe. Then the banks will charge you to keep "your" money with them.
    Thieves are going to love it, and our credit card purchasing days will be put on hiatus. Cash will be the order of the day, and most consumer accounts that aren't already invested in some security or another will either be closed or maintained at about their minimum requirements to keep them open - then balances added just in time to pay bills.

If I were a bank executive, I'd refuse going negative and simply set a floor rate of 0% on all checking and savings accounts. The headaches of dealing with irate customers and the daily cash transaction volumes wouldn't be worth the small bit of interest collected.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

We aren't going to have negative rates. Stop listening to Glenn Beck and the other loon ball alarmists.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Actually, you know what?

Maybe we are. You should definitely go out and convert everything you have in the bank to bearer bonds.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Actually, you know what?

Maybe we are. You should definitely go out and convert everything you have in the bank to bearer bonds.
          Tally sticks were good enough for my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-granddad and they're good enough for me.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Wait until negative interest rates get here like they are starting to do in Europe. Then the banks will charge you to keep "your" money with them.
            Negative interest rates happened during the Great Depression.

Comment

Who knew that school portraits were a cash cow?

http://www.nbcwashington.com/investi...lowTwt_DCBrand
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://gawker.com/here-are-some-enra...ves-1763344810

Hamilton Nolan continues to be the single worst writer in GMN employ.

What he doesn't know is that these jets are for company use as well. People at my company have been allowed to use the private jets to be flown back internationally in the cases of family emergency. So his botching about an executive flying to the funeral of his mother is, as usual, just a bunch of jealous whining.

Couple that with our CEO isn't even allowed to drive himself. I don't see this as a major problem.
                Code:

Comment

To be honest, he's spot on with this one.

If there's ever an industry that could use a little unionization it is the tech industry. Call me old but I'd rather give up the "free" lunches and the ping pong tables for the ability to go home at a decent hour every night and a little job security.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

If there's ever an industry that could use a little unionization it is the tech industry. Call me old but I'd rather give up the "free" lunches and the ping pong tables for the ability to go home at a decent hour every night and a little job security.
                    Programmers are the new factory drones -- the closest thing there is in the modern American economy to fungible labor. You'd think with all the education they'd have figured out the merits of collective bargaining.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Programmers are the new factory drones -- the closest thing there is in the modern American economy to fungible labor. You'd think with all the education they'd have figured out the merits of collective bargaining.
                      They tried to unionize, bit the attempt bit the dust.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        They tried to unionize, bit the attempt bit the dust.
                        I know. Programmers have class issues. Unions are so blue collar, ew.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Helpdesk employees, yeah probably (but most of them have already been offshored to Bangalore and Hyderabad). Developers, maybe (but expect even more of those jobs to move to Bangalore/Hyderabad when it happens). Everyone else, I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Helpdesk employees, yeah probably (but most of them have already been offshored to Bangalore and Hyderabad). Developers, maybe (but expect even more of those jobs to move to Bangalore/Hyderabad when it happens). Everyone else, I don't see it.
                            Dell brought many of their helpdesk employees back from India. Two things are going to slow the migration of helpdesk jobs to India. First, the more of these jobs that move there, the more it will cost companies to employ people there. Second, Dell saw a marked drop in customer satisfaction, and brought many of those jobs back to the United States.

A big change for foreign helpdesk workers will be the Philippines. Their English skills are on par with most of India, and their accents often have more of a Spanish flair to them rather Indian. Plus, the wages are still lower in the Philippines.

My employer is making a huge push into India because they're trying to establish a market there for our services. That's why I work with many Indians today. We also have employees further east strictly for the cost benefits. Otherwise, the increased infrastructure costs, when combined with the steadily rising wages in India now that it's moving out of its status as an undeveloped nation to an emerging market makes it less financially attractive for simple helpdesk work.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Offshoring tech support is something corp executives tell the board of directors they're going to do to cut costs because it sounds good in theory, but it ends up being a disaster often times.

At a former employer I did a quasi-tech job and "offshoring" was all the craze. The company would fly a bunch of Indians over, train them for 3 months, send them back to India where they'd promptly leave for another job (across the hall since they're all housed in the same complex) now that they had training and experience. Then the cycle would repeat. In the meantime customer service was terrible because you kept dealing with new people. Most Indians with top notch technical skills have already left India and are working in the US or the UK. Hence the move to onshore these jobs more and more.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Stay thirsty and adios my friends.

http://wtop.com/tv/2016/03/dos-equis...-man-pitchman/
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X