X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The man comes from Goldman Sachs, an institution that's intertwined with everything that Glass-Steagall forbade. Supporting GS would be to tear that company apart, create a lot of expenses in the process, and create what many would view as simple accounting trickery. Who will be the owners of the new companies if you split apart the banks? Well, it would be the people who own stock in the current banks that get split. It's the same net effect in ownership, only now you're paying the salaries of multiple boards, executive teams, etc. He would make some sort of economies of scale argument against the split.
    I am, however, curious as to how they are going to ratf-ck us, what cover story they'll use, and how blatant it will be.

This is such a weird situation because Trump, who can only hold at most one idea in his head at once, thinks he is anti-Bank. But simultaneously he picks a finance team that is the distilled essence of Predatory Banking.

To avoid a financial psychotic break, I think they're just going to have to lie. They're going to announce the "Break Up Too Big To Fail" Plan which specifies that Goldman must now own in full any financial institution that does any business in the US.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I am, however, curious as to how they are going to ratf-ck us, what cover story they'll use, and how blatant it will be.

This is such a weird situation because Trump, who can only hold at most one idea in his head at once, thinks he is anti-Bank. But simultaneously he picks a finance team that is the distilled essence of Predatory Banking.

To avoid a financial psychotic break, I think they're just going to have to lie. They're going to announce the "Break Up Too Big To Fail" Plan which specifies that Goldman must now own in full any financial institution that does any business in the US.
      Da Banks: Donald, you're not going to be president forever. When you return to private life, where are you going to get credit for your next project? F with us and you can forget about building anything but Legos.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We have PeaPod down here to order groceries via the internet. Now it will be your double double or Whopper

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busines...d245235eda2367
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Mnuchin said he doesn't support returning to Glass-Steagall but said he supports a "21st century GS"

I'm interested what this means and what he proposes.
          I wouldn't be surprised if one reference is rules about how banks are prohibited from crossing state lines. It's also one of the big talking points about the replacement of the PPACA.
          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            We have PeaPod down here to order groceries via the internet. Now it will be your double double or Whopper

For $1.50 I can go to a website that has passed my company's security clearance and have that delivery company bring me food from a rotating list of restaurants. Easy peasy, Taiwanesee.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Chick-Fil-A beat them to it. https://chick-fil-a.alohaorderonline.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Chick-Fil-A beat them to it. https://chick-fil-a.alohaorderonline.com/
                Except on Sunday. Then you get the 404 error.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Is it me or has Wells Fargo's customer service plummeted? We've been banking with them since the Norwest days and they were stellar. Every month there's a new problem...beyond the boatloads of ethical issues. Simple trading with even a preferred member account has become a nightmare.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Is it me or has Wells Fargo's customer service plummeted? We've been banking with them since the Norwest days and they were stellar. Every month there's a new problem...beyond the boatloads of ethical issues. Simple trading with even a preferred member account has become a nightmare.
                    Agree on all counts. They probably are headed down the sewer. No surprise.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Southwest was never like this!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Agree on all counts. They probably are headed down the sewer. No surprise.
                        I just sent in a trade to Wells Fargo to short a stock...and was told there was a 50% charge to the total value of the trade. That is to say, if the stocks traded have a value of $1000...then there is a $500 fee.

Pursuing it.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I just sent in a trade to Wells Fargo to short a stock...and was told there was a 50% charge to the total value of the trade. That is to say, if the stocks traded have a value of $1000...then there is a $500 fee.

Pursuing it.
                          Note to self: Don't use that broker...

And I thought my biggest headache was having to correct every line of the 8949 to include commissions...

Comment

Pursuing it.
                            Are they making the market on that stock? For stocks that aren't NASDAQ, NYSE, etc. traded, or nearly all penny stocks, a broker will have to make a market and will charge a premium rate to do that. If not, you might want to look into a new broker.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

While this may have been canceled for longstanding policy reasons, it is interesting that this would be canceled. I suspect if it was to honor Our Brave War Fighters it would not have been.

We need to have this discussion everywhere. Sadly, if we are ever going to seriously address poverty we will have to make the face of poverty a white child.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pretty crazy what oil money will buy you. I'm in the wrong racket - should've gotten into big energy or drugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X