This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Without saying as much, Amazon.com has setup a grocery store with the ability to counteract the rising costs of labor, especially getting ahead of expected increases to the minimum wage. Jeff Bezos's prototype store requires no cashiers, instead the store tracks you while you shop and automatically charges customers for their goods as they leave.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Without saying as much, Amazon.com has setup a grocery store with the ability to counteract the rising costs of labor, especially getting ahead of expected increases to the minimum wage. Jeff Bezos's prototype store requires no cashiers, instead the store tracks you while you shop and automatically charges customers for their goods as they leave.
      One thing that really inhibits online grocers from working out are the perishables: Fresh fruits/vegetables, dairy, and meats. And even then, I will still trust a farmer's market, local butcher, and local "creamery" (it's actually a convenience store, but anyone from Eastern NY/Western VT that knows Stewart's cannot deny that status). Could this be why mainstream outlets are trying to push the vegan diet? You still lose nutrients and taste when you freeze F/V, of course this is the same globalist regime that fluoridates water...

Comment

Thanks TPP!
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Thanks TPP!
          I have no idea what TPP means.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Third Party Proprietary; used in business to classify information all the time. In all seriousness, Trans Pacific Partnership.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Third Party Proprietary; used in business to classify information all the time. In all seriousness, Trans Pacific Partnership.
              Something tells me he's going a different route with that TPP comment.

Comment

I'm making a joke that free trade is going to kill all of those jobs. You know, rather than automation which has claimed far more.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I'm making a joke that free trade is going to kill all of those jobs. You know, rather than automation which has claimed far more.
                  The automation that Flag, assuming he's not lying about his employment, contibutes to!

Comment

Welp, still gotta have people stock the shelves, take the deliveries, prepare all the deli stuff, maybe a few LP guys to prevent obvious theft...

It's same thing I see when I hear about Amazon talk about starting their own cargo airline, I just don't think they've thought through the finer details and those costs versus the costs of just having somebody else do it.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Welp, still gotta have people stock the shelves, take the deliveries, prepare all the deli stuff, maybe a few LP guys to prevent obvious theft...

It's same thing I see when I hear about Amazon talk about starting their own cargo airline, I just don't think they've thought through the finer details and those costs versus the costs of just having somebody else do it.
                      Don't need deli people if all you sell is the pre-sliced garbage that a majority of people buy. The LP folks will be gone just as soon as the gubmint has everyone microchipped - if you take something and somehow circumvent the electronic payment, the chip will call the cops on you, and they'll track you down right away. It's only another generation or so away, since they now encourage everyone to get their kids chipped for "safety".

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

They still need people, but they just dropped 20-30 employees per store, or more depending upon the scale of their operation. You have two or three people check-in the customers, likely includes payment method up front, which will be a breeze after customers become repeat visitors. It would be a fraction of the employees needed compared to checkout clerks.

Really, I think Amazon is less likely to keep investing in physical locations themselves and start selling/licensing the tech to places like Piggly Wiggly, Publix, and all those other regional and national chains.

Loss prevention employees would be focused mostly upon employees as all the customers aren't particularly adept at skirting this specific payment system - yet.

There's no getting around the stocking staff, though Wal-Mart did start the process of reducing direct payment by the stores by way of forcing some of their suppliers to stock their own wares.

Comment

There's no getting around the stocking staff, though Wal-Mart did start the process of reducing direct payment by the stores by way of forcing some of their suppliers to stock their own wares.
                          That's been around for a long time. Coke, Pepsi, and Frito Lay were the 3 major ones when I worked for Target, and I'm not sure it's Wal-Mart/Target forcing it to be that way.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            That's been around for a long time. Coke, Pepsi, and Frito Lay were the 3 major ones when I worked for Target, and I'm not sure it's Wal-Mart/Target forcing it to be that way.
                            When I worked at a grocery store (over a decade ago; helped with a lot of college expenses BTW), the beer and bakery distributors were responsible for stocking their respective products..

Comment

They still need people, but they just dropped 20-30 employees per store, or more depending upon the scale of their operation. You have two or three people check-in the customers, likely includes payment method up front, which will be a breeze after customers become repeat visitors. It would be a fraction of the employees needed compared to checkout clerks.

Really, I think Amazon is less likely to keep investing in physical locations themselves and start selling/licensing the tech to places like Piggly Wiggly, Publix, and all those other regional and national chains.

Loss prevention employees would be focused mostly upon employees as all the customers aren't particularly adept at skirting this specific payment system - yet.

Didn't Wal-Mart, or one of the big boxes, pilot some sort of threshold gate that would automatically calculate everything that is in your cart once you crossed, and then the only thing you do is provide payment? I remember reading about one of them doing something like that, or at least researching it.

Isn't Amazon's model online, meaning they would work with distribution centers and locally delivering products? Seems like they only way you could do it, especially when you take perishables into account.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Wal-Mart began the process back in the late 80s or early 90s, and others were quick to glob onto the new model. That company reinvented a lot of retail processes that have since become industry standards.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Didn't Wal-Mart, or one of the big boxes, pilot some sort of threshold gate that would automatically calculate everything that is in your cart once you crossed, and then the only thing you do is provide payment? I remember reading about one of them doing something like that, or at least researching it.

Isn't Amazon's model online, meaning they would work with distribution centers and locally delivering products? Seems like they only way you could do it, especially when you take perishables into account.
                                I can't speak to any other company attempting something similar. There are obvious drawbacks to the cart weight approach as the number of ways to come to a single weight value, resulting in vastly different price tags.

Amazon is in the grocery delivery business, but that's a separate market from actual grocery stores. Some people are willing to pay a premium in order to avoid going to the store. And that's why I would think Amazon would do better to license out the tech to established chains. The only other way they could see a profit model out there is if they think others couldn't execute the process efficiently enough, and so Amazon could then still undercut other grocers currently in the market. Still, if I were Amazon, I'd take the cash flow of licensing the tech and reduce the company's operating risk exposure associated with building or leasing large locations people would expect from a company like Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                X