• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5mn_Major
    replied
    Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Right after they sell the Kenmore and DieHard brands.

The disastrous merger with KMart was the start of the end.
    I happen to know quite a bit about Sears. The brands are in fact gigantic. Two reasons. It makes somebody willing to drive past say a home depot to get to them for the perceived selection advantage. Also the internet blows away all conventional competitive advantages that a store based location has - leaving an etailer with price and product brand alone.

IMO Kmart was not disastrous in itself - their stores are often in regentrifying locations protected from the like of Walmart and Target that serve newly affluent minority consumers they can selectively target. Its Lampert's strategy of no investment in the platform has made it disastrous.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    That depends upon when they sell the Kenmore name. Like Craftsman, their products are all made by other companies but the name matters.

Oddly enough, Craftsman has been sold in other stores for a while now. The local Ace Hardware in my town had them on display some three years ago, when I last rented a Rug Doctor.
    They lessened their exclusivity in an effort to raise the cash needed to stay afloat. Makes sense, but it didn't really help.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Sears is selling tbeir Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker for about $500MM. They're also closing 150 unprofitable stores.

How much longer?
    Right after they sell the Kenmore and DieHard brands.

The disastrous merger with KMart was the start of the end.

Re: Finland.
    I like where Finland is trying this. At least they are trying, and maybe it will turn into something all residents get, similar to their Baby Starter Boxes.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Sears is selling tbeir Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker for about $500MM. They're also closing 150 unprofitable stores.

How much longer?
    That depends upon when they sell the Kenmore name. Like Craftsman, their products are all made by other companies but the name matters.

Oddly enough, Craftsman has been sold in other stores for a while now. The local Ace Hardware in my town had them on display some three years ago, when I last rented a Rug Doctor.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

How much longer?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

The 2016 Federal Deficit: Over one trillion dollars.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/de...1&endYear=2016

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Finland is smart. Not because the income scheme they are looking at is so great. But because they're testing. Testing is the sure fire best way to benefits based innovation.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Want higher minimum wage? You got it, and everything that goes with it. https://mises.org/blog/restaurants-e...imum-wage-hike

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

It's a carrot that won't be taken away in the manner that other forms of the dole have been in that country. Welfare there will be taken away if you earn over $X/week, month or year, which is set at a low threshold. This $585 will stay with you regardless, until you hit a much higher income threshold. It's a lower dollar value of public money, but you're not at risk of losing it all as you find yourself on the cusp of finally being successful. It removes the fear or losing the safety net from potential job seekers. At least that's the theory, and they want to see how it plays out with their 2,000 randomly selected existing welfare recipients.
    So it's just like welfare, except it isn't. Your military tactics aren't fooling anyone.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I still fail to see how 585/mo will give more incentive to work than 0/month. If the receipt of the money is conditional upon working, then I'll give you it's a step in the right direction, but given it's "no strings attached", then it doesn't look like it will do anything other than suck more out of the taxpayers with no net benefit.
    It's a carrot that won't be taken away in the manner that other forms of the dole have been in that country. Welfare there will be taken away if you earn over $X/week, month or year, which is set at a low threshold. This $585 will stay with you regardless, until you hit a much higher income threshold. It's a lower dollar value of public money, but you're not at risk of losing it all as you find yourself on the cusp of finally being successful. It removes the fear or losing the safety net from potential job seekers. At least that's the theory, and they want to see how it plays out with their 2,000 randomly selected existing welfare recipients.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

The houses and flats in Finland will not fit 32 Mexicans per bedroom. What you're proposing simply isn't feasible there as it would still have an upper limit of perhaps 8 people, and the government keeps a much closer tab on its citizens than we do here.
    I still fail to see how 585/mo will give more incentive to work than 0/month. If the receipt of the money is conditional upon working, then I'll give you it's a step in the right direction, but given it's "no strings attached", then it doesn't look like it will do anything other than suck more out of the taxpayers with no net benefit.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Or they'll "commune" with other bums receiving this, and then not work at all. Reminds me of the story of the professor who decides to average everyone's grades and give them all the same thing. Eventually, they're going to run out of other people's money to give out.
    The houses and flats in Finland will not fit 32 Mexicans per bedroom. What you're proposing simply isn't feasible there as it would still have an upper limit of perhaps 8 people, and the government keeps a much closer tab on its citizens than we do here.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Or they'll "commune" with other bums receiving this, and then not work at all. Reminds me of the story of the professor who decides to average everyone's grades and give them all the same thing. Eventually, they're going to run out of other people's money to give out.
    "Good. Yes. You've done well. Here is a small prize. The history of the world."

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Receiving $585/mo. may very well incentivize people to work because they sure as hell can't live off that amount.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Receiving $585/mo. may very well incentivize people to work because they sure as hell can't live off that amount.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X