Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2015.1 - if the ball weighs as much as a duck, it's a catch!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2015.1 - if the ball weighs as much as a duck, it's a catch!

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Indeed they are. People complain about everything.

Some people apparently wrote letters and that applies to everyone who doesn't like his celly?

Comment

Are there some racist fans out there who don't like him and are hyper-sensitive to his actions because he's black? Without a doubt.

Are there a whole lot more people out there who don't appreciate staged and excessive/obnoxious celebrations? Without a doubt.

And, lest anyone think it's only whitey who doesn't appreciate his celly, I have seen twice this season when an opponent confronts him in the end zone about it and both times... that opponent was... you guessed it... black.

Point is, it's not just because he's black. A significant portion of sports fans find celebrations of that sort obnoxious. And they get to have that view. It's a valid view that can be supported.

I'm sure there's people out there who hate the discount double check (I just find it stupid and cheesy) or when Kaner does the heart breaker and my guess is that's mostly white on white sports hate.

To be fair though, those aren't 15 second look-at-me dance routines. They're more in the moment, even if they were thought out ahead of time.

Blanket stating with the race card is simply not accurate in this case.

I don't like his celly. Of course I'm not gonna write a letter about it or root against him because of it, but I get to not like it and say so in public.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Some people apparently wrote letters and that applies to everyone who doesn't like his celly?
        yes, duh.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          So everyone who doesn't like his celebration feels that way because he's black. Because a black quarterback "scares us?"

Child... PLEASE!

And that's actually a thing? I have ZERO problem with any player giving a fan a football although that will turn into a **** show real soon with parents trying to help THEIR kid get the ball. Surprised it hasn't already - human nature being what it is. Guaranteed a kid or 2 parents wrasselin' fall out of the stands at some point.
          To plagiarize Dan Patrick via three minutes ago: where are all the complaints when JJ Watt celebrates? No mother is writing JJ when he dances after a sack that he's doing a disservice to her daughter in the stands by showboating.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Unfortunately as a white person my view on racism is clouded by my privilege. As I've never endured racism, I don't get to decide what the standard is.

So I'll never discount race in any of these debates.
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              To plagiarize Dan Patrick via three minutes ago: where are all the complaints when JJ Watt celebrates? No mother is writing JJ when he dances after a sack that he's doing a disservice to her daughter in the stands by showboating.

One mother wrote a letter to the editor and that's somehow significant?

JJ Watt's celebration is in the moment. Cris Carter's back in the day was in the moment. Deion's high step was in the moment.

Cam waits for everyone to clear out and then commences with a staged routine.

If you don't see the difference, then why not allow the sharpie to be stashed in the goalpost so a receiver can sign the ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                One mother wrote a letter to the editor and that's somehow significant?

JJ Watt's celebration is in the moment. Cris Carter's back in the day was in the moment. Deion's high step was in the moment.

Cam waits for everyone to clear out and then commences with a staged routine.

If you don't see the difference, then why not allow the sharpie to be stashed in the goalpost so a receiver can sign the ball?
                I think the point is that there is all this hate for Cam Newton for having a child out of wedlock, celebrating, and what not and it most certainly does revolve around race. Aaron Rodgers does get hate mail for discount double check. No one writes letters to the boston globe because Tom Brady had a kid that wasn't Gisele's. Giving a football to a kid being a problem is just laughable, and yet people are upset.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Old school as I am, or just old, I can't see how giving a football to a kid is ****ing anyone off. Scoring a touchdown and doing the Merry Widow Waltz when you're still down by 30 ticks me a little bit. As Jim Brown once said, "act like you've been there before".
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                    Old school as I am, or just old, I can't see how giving a football to a kid is ****ing anyone off. Scoring a touchdown and doing the Merry Widow Waltz when you're still down by 30 ticks me a little bit. As Jim Brown once said, "act like you've been there before".
                    I think that and sack dances when trailing by a ton are what bother me...its one thing to celebrate a play that actually means something, like a sack to end a drive in a close game or touchtown that ties, gives you the lead or is the "dagger." But celebrating a play just because you did something positive for no respect for what it really means when it means nothing in the grand scheme is stupid.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Think of all the poor non-white children in the 2nd deck who aren't getting footballs!
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Football needs the equivalent of a fastball to the back, that would limit celebrations to when they're appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          Football needs the equivalent of a fastball to the back, that would limit celebrations to when they're appropriate.
                          nah, it annoys people, but I think I'd rather have too much than too little. Baseball needs more. Pitchers get to celebrate a strikeout with a fist pump but a hitter can enjoy his home run or flip a bat a little bit?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            They outlawed the clothesline hit years ago.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              nah, it annoys people, but I think I'd rather have too much than too little. Baseball needs more. Pitchers get to celebrate a strikeout with a fist pump but a hitter can enjoy his home run or flip a bat a little bit?
                              Not saying there should be little to none, just less.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                So everyone who doesn't like his celebration feels that way because he's black. Because a black quarterback "scares us?"

Child... PLEASE!

And that's actually a thing? I have ZERO problem with any player giving a fan a football although that will turn into a **** show real soon with parents trying to help THEIR kid get the ball. Surprised it hasn't already - human nature being what it is. Guaranteed a kid or 2 parents wrasselin' fall out of the stands at some point.
                                This is the 4th super bowl in a row with a black QB according to some talking head on ESPN radio, russell Wilson and not sure who else. I don't think its race but I do think its a different generation type of thing. I don't care what he does, he is good so go for it. If you are on other team and don't like it, stop him from scoring.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X