Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Actually the VP nominee becomes the candidate and if he/she wins, the Senate picks a new VP.
    I think you are confusing the 20th Amendment, which dictates what happens if a president-elect dies, with what I am considering which is a nominee dying a short time prior to the election.

    In the latter case the party would have to decide, since they control their nomination (and since political parties and their rules are never mentioned in the Constitution). This article from 2008 states the RNC and DNC have rules in place:

    Each party has its own protocol for this scenario, but in neither case does the running mate automatically take over the ticket. If John McCain were to die before the election, the rules of the Republican Party authorize the Republican National Committee to fill the vacancy, either by reconvening a national convention or by having RNC state representatives vote. The new nominee must receive a majority vote to officially become the party candidate. If Barack Obama were to die before the election, the Democratic Party's charter and bylaws state that responsibility for filling that vacancy would fall to the Democratic National Committee, but the rules do not specify how exactly the DNC would go about doing that. (Congress could also pass a special statute and push back Election Day, giving the dead candidate's party time to regroup.)
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

      Right on cue.

      Ted Cruz’s campaign, ostensibly speaking, has a major leg up on most of the other candidates: An in-house team of data scientists, funded by a billionaire supporter, analyzing the data of tens of millions of unwitting American Facebook users. And yet, people still find him deeply unlikeable.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

        You'd have to have some provision regarding the printing of ballots, particularly the absentee ones that get mailed overseas to military personnel. How would a deceased person's name being already on a ballot be handled? I don't know the answer to that.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

        Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

        "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

        Comment


        • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

          Originally posted by Rover View Post
          You'd have to have some provision regarding the printing of ballots, particularly the absentee ones that get mailed overseas to military personnel. How would a deceased person's name being already on a ballot be handled? I don't know the answer to that.
          We know how it works in Congress -- they go right ahead with the election then figure it out afterwards.

          There don't seem to be examples of people who have died, been on the ballot themselves, and lost. In other words: Dead people appear to be batting 1.000 in their Congressional races. Nonetheless, we do not recommend it as a campaign strategy.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

            Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            We know how it works in Congress -- they go right ahead with the election then figure it out afterwards.
            I really don't like that policy. It should be such that they run a special election for the seat if the death occurs within X days of the standard election day. It impacted Missouri, where they elected Henry(?) McCaskill to the Senate, but he died a few weeks before the election and someone (governor?) appointed his wife to the seat. She wasn't elected and shouldn't have been simply given a six-year term.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

            "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

            "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

            Comment


            • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

              I like the idea of the VP becomes President. Technically you're voting for both the President and the Vice President, so people can't say the VP isn't legitimately chosen by the people. Come inauguration day you'd swear in the VP first, then as you would not be able to swear in the President elect, you'd immediately swear in the now VP as President. Then the Senate chooses a new VP. No changes in ballots. No delaying the election. Its no different than if someone won on Election Day, then died 24 hours later. You wouldn't hold a new election. You'd swear in the Vice President as President.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

              Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

              "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

              Comment


              • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                Originally posted by Rover View Post
                I like the idea of the VP becomes President. Technically you're voting for both the President and the Vice President, so people can't say the VP isn't legitimately chosen by the people. Come inauguration day you'd swear in the VP first, then as you would not be able to swear in the President elect, you'd immediately swear in the now VP as President. Then the Senate chooses a new VP. No changes in ballots. No delaying the election. Its no different than if someone won on Election Day, then died 24 hours later. You wouldn't hold a new election. You'd swear in the Vice President as President.
                Sure, but presidential and senatorial elections are two different things. You're not voting for a vice-senator on the ticket, which is the situation about which I was commenting.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                Comment


                • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                  Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I really don't like that policy. It should be such that they run a special election for the seat if the death occurs within X days of the standard election day. It impacted Missouri, where they elected Henry(?) McCaskill to the Senate, but he died a few weeks before the election and someone (governor?) appointed his wife to the seat. She wasn't elected and shouldn't have been simply given a six-year term.
                  I think the way it is now it's up to the state, and sometimes the state says "too expensive."

                  The one you're thinking about is Mel Carnahan, who was MO-Gov and was running for Senate when he died October 16, 2000. The governor (newly appointed from Lt Gov since Carnahan himself had been Gov) announced he would appoint Jean Carnahan, the widow, if Carnahan won the election, which he did (against incumbent Senator and all-around frumious toad John Ashcroft). There was a special election held in 2002 and she lost.

                  That seems in keeping with the spirit of the tradition that when a Senator dies in office the surviving spouse is appointed to fill the role until a special election.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                    Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    I like the idea of the VP becomes President. Technically you're voting for both the President and the Vice President, so people can't say the VP isn't legitimately chosen by the people. Come inauguration day you'd swear in the VP first, then as you would not be able to swear in the President elect, you'd immediately swear in the now VP as President. Then the Senate chooses a new VP. No changes in ballots. No delaying the election. Its no different than if someone won on Election Day, then died 24 hours later. You wouldn't hold a new election. You'd swear in the Vice President as President.
                    I do not like the Senate choosing the VP, since that could result in a VP from the opposing party. While fun, that would be very unhealthy and essentially deprive the country of the Vice President as a useful office for that term (no jokes!).

                    I think the best way to handle it would be for the VP (now presidential candidate) to announce their choice for VP and for the Senate to promise to appoint that person (to fulfill the correct Constitutional mechanism) if that ticket won. That way we would know who we were voting for when we stepped into the booth.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                    Comment


                    • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Here's the blow by blow on Cruz vs. Trump.

                      http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...t-public/?_r=0
                      Seriously NYT? This reads like a Gawker article. That's not a good thing.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I think the way it is now it's up to the state, and sometimes the state says "too expensive."

                        The one you're thinking about is Mel Carnahan, who was MO-Gov and was running for Senate when he died October 16, 2000. The governor (newly appointed from Lt Gov since Carnahan himself had been Gov) announced he would appoint Jean Carnahan, the widow, if Carnahan won the election, which he did (against incumbent Senator and all-around frumious toad John Ashcroft). There was a special election held in 2002 and she lost.

                        That seems in keeping with the spirit of the tradition that when a Senator dies in office the surviving spouse is appointed to fill the role until a special election.
                        Okay, I did have that situation confused with McCaskill. This is all much more palatable than what I thought the situation was.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                        "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                        "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                        Comment


                        • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                          Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I think you could do it if the presumptive nominee died. There would be an enormous wellspring of support and there would be no ill feelings from the supporters of the supplanted favorite. Well, until Infowars uncovered that the nominee was murdered by the lizard people.

                          I sometimes wonder what would happen if a major party nominee died a few weeks before the election. I'm not even sure if there are formal rules as to whether the running mate becomes the nominee. We have never delayed a presidential election, and hopefully never will, but that could do it.
                          We kind of had that with Wellstone.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                          Comment


                          • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                            Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Seriously NYT? This reads like a Gawker article. That's not a good thing.
                            I was thinking more TMZ.

                            Dignity is the first casualty of social media.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                              Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              We kind of had that with Wellstone.
                              Except that they rushed Mondale on the ballot a couple days after Wellstone's plane crashed, not a relative. It was really impressive if you think about it, because Wellstone died 11 days before the election. That's how we ended up with Senator Norm Coleman. More to the point, that's how we ended up with Senator Al Franken.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                              Comment


                              • Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

                                Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Except that they rushed Mondale on the ballot a couple days after Wellstone's plane crashed, not a relative. It was really impressive if you think about it, because Wellstone died 11 days before the election. That's how we ended up with Senator Norm Coleman. More to the point, that's how we ended up with Senator Al Franken.
                                Franken is great, but imagine this election if it was Wellstone instead of Sanders. That could have been a transformative candidacy.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X