Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Anonymous Declares Another War on Terror...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      May be. May be. But there was a Calgary Ted strategery in place that is now out the window. And I find that refreshing and interesting.
      Nah I think its going according to script for him so far. IMHO he's playing the long game. Either Trump stumbles, in which case Cruz picks up the ball and runs with it, or Trump doesn't and Cruz realizes he can't compete with the man, so he wisely backs off but finishes a respectable 2nd, and then he comes back in 2020. Too many Goopers, from Jebbers! to Fiorina to Kasich, Christie, Paul, and Rubio are having an "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moment and they're panicking. Cruz and to a lesser extent Carson who I believe never expected to win anyway are the ones playing it cool.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Nah I think its going according to script for him so far. IMHO he's playing the long game. Either Trump stumbles, in which case Cruz picks up the ball and runs with it, or Trump doesn't and Cruz realizes he can't compete with the man, so he wisely backs off but finishes a respectable 2nd, and then he comes back in 2020. Too many Goopers, from Jebbers! to Fiorina to Kasich, Christie, Paul, and Rubio are having an "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" moment and they're panicking. Cruz and to a lesser extent Carson who I believe never expected to win anyway are the ones playing it cool.
        No. The script was to NEVER criticize Trump and get his dander up. Let him implode. And become the obvious alternative. Now he's going to fighting with Trump cause Trump NEVER lets anything go. Anything.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          No. The script was to NEVER criticize Trump and get his dander up. Let him implode. And become the obvious alternative. Now he's going to fighting with Trump cause Trump NEVER lets anything go. Anything.
          I think Cruz is one of the few candidates who recognized early on that Trump might not implode. He needs to go Michael Corleone on his version of Fredo which is Ben Carson. He's the competition for the same voters right now.

Speaking of which: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...on-post-216674

All BS aside, its going to take a lot of heavy lifting for the GOP to win the WH given the demographics of the country and the electoral map. The RNC has to stop these behind the scenes shenanigans to throw the nomination to an Establishment stiff. Either the primaries count or they don't. They don't count only if you get the person you want.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I think Cruz is one of the few candidates who recognized early on that Trump might not implode. He needs to go Michael Corleone on his version of Fredo which is Ben Carson. He's the competition for the same voters right now.
            That may be true. But he had time to wait it out a bit. He could win Iowa over Trump without too much difficulty given that State's history and that would be enough to give Donald more time to fly off the deep end.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

All BS aside, its going to take a lot of heavy lifting for the GOP to win the WH given the demographics of the country and the electoral map. The RNC has to stop these behind the scenes shenanigans to throw the nomination to an Establishment stiff. Either the primaries count or they don't. They don't count only if you get the person you want.
              This came on the morning drive.

The Republican Party requires candidates to gain a majority of delegates in eight States and/or territories. If a candidate doesn’t get the majority of delegates in at least eight, that candidate is disqualified.

The rule is known as Rule 40, and some say that it may not be in effect by the time the primaries begin, but some candidates are including it in their campaign strategies.
              So it is actually statistically possible for nobody to qualify under RNC rules to be their nominee, which is funny, but not the point here. The point is at a brokered convention there may be VERY few options for the Republicans, and one option off the table completely is a white knight.

The RNC might still be able to wiggle around this, by for example decommitting delegates from candidates who have dropped out and either not counting them or rolling them to acceptable candidates. And of course if they are headed for Armageddon they have plenty of lawyers to change the rules and then gum up the appeals process until the election is long over. But it means that my favorite scenario, in which somebody like Paul Ryan plays the really long game and tearfully emerges at a bitterly divided GOP convention after the 54th vote and humbly accepts the nomination "for the good of (sniff) the country" cannot happen.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That rule interestingly screws the Establishment. If they all stay in, they all win their respective states (FL: Rubio or Bush, NJ: Christie, OH: Kasich) but nobody gets to 8. I can see Cruz winning Iowa possibly and definitely TX, OK, AK, MS on his way to 8. Trump should be strong in the Northeast and frankly in a lot of other places that don't have a home town favorite due to his celebrity. Rubio is leading nowhere. I doubt Kasich survives beyond the SEC primary, so when the Rust Belt comes up he'll be gone. Jebbers! is leading nowhere. Very interesting...

While Carson is insane, his is right though. You have to abide by the results, like it or not. I'd laugh my head off if the convention came down to Trump vs Cruz with Carson playing kingmaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  That rule interestingly screws the Establishment. If they all stay in, they all win their respective states (FL: Rubio or Bush, NJ: Christie, OH: Kasich) but nobody gets to 8. I can see Cruz winning Iowa possibly and definitely TX, OK, AK, MS on his way to 8. Trump should be strong in the Northeast and frankly in a lot of other places that don't have a home town favorite due to his celebrity. Rubio is leading nowhere. I doubt Kasich survives beyond the SEC primary, so when the Rust Belt comes up he'll be gone. Jebbers! is leading nowhere. Very interesting...

While Carson is insane, his is right though. You have to abide by the results, like it or not. I'd laugh my head off if the convention came down to Trump vs Cruz with Carson playing kingmaker.
                  Read how Harding became the nominee. Therein lies the hope of Kasich.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Read how Harding became the nominee. Therein lies the hope of Kasich.
                    If Rule 40 is in effect, that can't happen anymore.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      If Rule 40 is in effect, that can't happen anymore.
                      You guys keep typing "Rule 40" but I keep reading "Order 66."
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I'm curious if its feasible to nominate someone in July out of the blue for an election that takes place in November anymore. Yes, yes, I realize that was the way it used to work, but we haven't been in a situation where the winner wasn't known by the start of the convention since 1976, 40 years ago. A white knight who wasn't one of the top delegate winners during the primary process would have to: 1) Immediately win over the people who won more delegates initially including several who the party has zero leverage over (Trump, Carson). 2) Then win over the people who thought they'd be better suited as the white knight. 3) Then reassure the rank and file primary voters that you represent them. 4) Now you get to fund raising, putting your team in place as a mad scramble for campaign jobs ensues or outsourcing that to the inept RNC. 5) After all that start prepping for the debates coming up against an already well funded, well prepared Dem who's been campaigning for several months already.

I realize a potted plant can get 47% of the vote for either side (the "Kerry" rule ) but that doesn't get you elected. Don't believe me - ask President Romney.

Comment

I think you could do it if the presumptive nominee died. There would be an enormous wellspring of support and there would be no ill feelings from the supporters of the supplanted favorite. Well, until Infowars uncovered that the nominee was murdered by the lizard people.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if a major party nominee died a few weeks before the election. I'm not even sure if there are formal rules as to whether the running mate becomes the nominee. We have never delayed a presidential election, and hopefully never will, but that could do it.
                          Cornell University

Comment

An exact placing of Trump in context. I don't share the author's overwhelming confidence that the arc of the moral universe bends towards justice, and I'd point out that even his example of those who did not hold on for long should warn us of just how dangerous they can be in the short run, but I do share the confidence that the nation is an enormous boat that it would take tremendous forces to change so significantly.

Hopefully this will be a shameful episode in the history of only a party, rather than a nation.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I think you could do it if the presumptive nominee died. There would be an enormous wellspring of support and there would be no ill feelings from the supporters of the supplanted favorite. Well, until Infowars uncovered that the nominee was murdered by the lizard people.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if a major party nominee died a few weeks before the election. I'm not even sure if there are formal rules as to whether the running mate becomes the nominee. We have never delayed a presidential election, and hopefully never will, but that could do it.
                              If municipal elections are any guide, the dead guy wins in a landslide.

Actually the VP nominee becomes the candidate and if he/she wins, the Senate picks a new VP.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                If municipal elections are any guide, the dead guy wins in a landslide.

Actually the VP nominee becomes the candidate and if he/she wins, the Senate picks a new VP.
                                That's somewhat orderly and makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X