Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Good piece about latent fascistic tendencies in the American right in general, and how they are manifesting with Trump in particular.

What Trump has done is wink, nudge, and generally encouraged spontaneous violence as a response to his critics. This includes his winking and nudging at those “enthusiastic supporters” who committed anti-Latino hate crimes, his encouragement of the people at a campaign appearance who assaulted a Latino protester, and most recently, his endorsement of the people who “maybe should have roughed up” the “disgusting” Black Lives Matter protester who interrupted his speech.

That’s a clearly fascistic response. It also helps us understand why Trump is an extraordinarily dangerous right-wing populist demagogue, and not a genuine, in-the-flesh fascist.

A serious fascist would have called upon not just the crowd to respond with violence, but also his paramilitary allies to respond with retaliatory strikes. Trump didn’t do that.

That, in a tiny nutshell, is an example of the problem with Trump’s fascism: He is not really an ideologue, acting out of a rigid adherence to a consistent worldview, as all fascists are. Trump’s only real ideology is the Worship of the Donald, and he will do and say anything that appeals to the lowest common denominator of the American body politic in order to attract their support – the nation’s id, the near-feral segment that breathes and lives on fear and paranoia and hatred.

There’s no question these supporters bring a singular, visceral energy to the limited universe of the GOP primary, though I don’t know anyone who expects that such a campaign can survive the oxygen and exposure of a general election. Indeed, it is in many signs an indication of the doom that is descending upon a Republican Party in freefall, flailing about in a death spiral, that it is finally resorting to a campaign as nakedly fascistic as Trump’s in its attempts to secure the presidency.

This is why Trump has never called upon the shock troops of a paramilitary wing for support, and why he has always kept an arm’s-length distance from the white nationalists and neo-Nazis who have become some of his most enthusiastic backers. He isn’t really one of them.

What he is, as Berlet has explained elsewhere, is a classic right-wing nativist populist demagogue: “His ideology and rhetoric are much more comparable to the European populist radical right, akin to Jean-Marie Le Pen’s National Front, the Danish People’s Party or Vladimir Zhirinovsky’s Liberal Democratic Party of Russia. All of them use the common radical right rhetoric of nativism, authoritarianism and populism.”

Of course, it’s also important to understand that fascism, in fact, is a subspecies of right-wing populism, very similar to the Klan in nature – that is, its malignant, metastasized version, crazed in its insatiable lust for power, fueled by fear and hatred, and fed by the blood of its vulnerable targets.

Trump is not fascist primarily because he lacks any kind of coherent, or even semi-coherent, ideology. What he represents instead is the kind of id-driven feral politics common to the radical right, a sort of gut-level reactionarism that lacks the rigor and absolutism, the demand for ideological purity, that are characteristic of full-bore fascism.

That does not, however, mean he is any less dangerous to American democracy.
    The whole article is good, but the portion on "Producerism" about 3/4 of the way through is dead on.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Even the lamestream media, normally afraid of taking on Republicans, has chimed in on a good point, which is why don't ANY of the GOP contenders come out and say they will not support Trump if he's the nominee?

I can write the speech for them at the mythical press conference. Picture Cruz-Rubio-Jebbers!-Christie-Kasich-etc giving this address:

"Trump's proposal to exclude entry into this country based on religion is as un-American a proposal as has ever been made by a major candidate in living memory. Like many in my party I have sat by on the sidelines and not engaged Trump in his many unhinged declarations in the hope that he would flame out. I now realize that may not happen. Therefore I declare that I will not support or vote for Donald Trump for President even if he receives my party's nomination. I respect the will of the voters, but in good conscience I can't put party loyalty over the good of the country."

EDIT: Yup... https://politicalwire.com/2015/12/09...al-on-muslims/
      Last edited by Rover; 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Donald Trump calls on Bill Gates to "close up the internet."...
        ...speechless.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Even the lamestream media, normally afraid of taking on Republicans, has chimed in on a good point, which is why don't ANY of the GOP contenders come out and say they will not support Trump if he's the nominee?

I can write the speech for them at the mythical press conference. Picture Cruz-Rubio-Jebbers!-Christie-Kasich-etc giving this address:

"Trump's proposal to exclude entry into this country based on religion is as un-American a proposal as has ever been made by a major candidate in living memory. Like many in my party I have sat by on the sidelines and not engaged Trump in his many unhinged declarations in the hope that he would flame out. I now realize that may not happen. Therefore I declare that I will not support or vote for Donald Trump for President even if he receives my party's nomination. I respect the will of the voters, but in good conscience I can't put party loyalty over the good of the country."

Rover miss howie carr this morning?!?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

This is why they won't do that.

You know. Principle.

Boy, has Trump found a home.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              This is why they won't do that.

You know. Principle.

Boy, has Trump found a home.
              You guys all think it's funny that the GOP is stuck with Trump. Wait until you find out that not only do 70% of the Republicans support Trump and his interment camp ideas, but 48% of Democrats do too. Then what?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Because they know that Trump's correct when he says that if he quits the Republican party and runs as an Independent in the general election that the same people who will vote for him now will vote for him then, and the "legitimate" Republican candidate will come in third in November.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  You guys all think it's funny that the GOP is stuck with Trump. Wait until you find out that not only do 70% of the Republicans support Trump and his interment camp ideas, but 48% of Democrats do too. Then what?
                  Canada

Comment

You guys all think it's funny that the GOP is stuck with Trump.
                    Nobody thinks it's funny. It's sad and it's scary, but it's not funny.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      ...speechless.
                      Speaking to the crowd still using dial-up and Windows 98SE, apparently.

Doesn't Gates have ways of just shutting that whole thing down? I'm sure he will get right on tying off the series of tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        ...speechless.
                        I think he meant to say Al Gore.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                          I think he meant to say Al Gore.
                          Palin would have called on Jesus. So they're improving, I guess?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Speaking to the crowd still using dial-up and Windows 98SE, apparently.

Doesn't Gates have ways of just shutting that whole thing down? I'm sure he will get right on tying off the series of tubes.
                            My dad has a Sony VAIO from 1996 in the basement. It still runs Windows 95. He uses it for the sole purpose of playing euchre on Hoyle Classic Card Games. In MS-DOS.

I'm amazed the computer still runs.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              My dad has a Sony VAIO from 1996 in the basement. It still runs Windows 95. He uses it for the sole purpose of playing euchre on Hoyle Classic Card Games. In MS-DOS.

I'm amazed the computer still runs.
                              Whatever you do, don't upgrade to Windows ME. Go right to XP.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Donald Trump represents mainstream conservative thought in the here and now, not what the party was 40 years ago. Therefore, why shouldn't he be the nominee? If anything he presents America with a clear example of what they're voting for, unlike a Jebbers! Bush who has little to do with the base of the party.

Also, please site where 48% of Dems agree with Trump's views.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X