Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - I'm Biden my time till I doctor the hearing.

Is this really what we're down to?

I mean we have Mrs. Sir Edmund Hillary on one side and Dr. Most Honest on the other.

*shrug*
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      The latest story is that Carson made up a story about being named "Most Honest" in a Yale psych class that never existed. I was being generous when I said three weeks.
      He's a former surgeon. They all think they are 100% right `100% of the time. They need that arrogance as surgeons, I guess, but keep the mf away from the WH at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Is this really what we're down to?

I mean we have Mrs. Sir Edmund Hillary on one side and Dr. Most Honest on the other.

*shrug*
        Hillary has this in the bag. She just has to avoid saying anything too shrill for the next 365 days, while the GOP clown car finishes cannibalizing each other over the next 4-5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          The latest story is that Carson made up a story about being named "Most Honest" in a Yale psych class that never existed. I was being generous when I said three weeks.
          This is the story. Here's the amazing part: the story of the psych prof who fakes out his class like this is a campus urban legend I remember hearing when I was a student. This is the equivalent of Carson saying his roommate died by drinking coke after eating pop rocks.

The guy is either a compulsive liar or just bonkers.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Hillary has this in the bag. She just has to avoid saying anything too shrill for the next 365 days, while the GOP clown car finishes cannibalizing each other over the next 4-5 months.
            Why Hillary? Surely you can come up with someone better?

I'm not much in favor with the GOP talent show, either. But at least their pre primary slugfest is much more entertaining.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Elizabeth Warren passed, and unlike the hagiographic caricature she gets around here, I'm not completely sold on her yet. Mostly because I'm not 100% committed to the "ALL CORPORATIONS ARE T3H DEVIL!!!!" calliope. Shocking I know, but don't forget, I was a straight-laced neo-conservative once - in a younger, less-experienced time in my life.

At this point, if the election had been held last week, I have to admit I'd have voted for Hillary (and immediately taken a shower afterward). The Hildabeast has her issues, but she's got political savvy and a Teflon facade that has frustrated her GOP opponents to no end. If not for Benghazi, her tenure as SecState would've been regarded as a modest success, even by a majority of partisan hacks. I realize this is hardly a ringing endorsement, but back around 2010, I watched an interview with Dick Cheney in which he referred to Hillary as "the smartest person in that administration". So, maybe consider that a shout-out from one 'evil genius' to another.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Hillary's a great candidate if you want a Democrat who advocates positions from the mid-1970s Republican party. Unfortunately it appears that the Democratic wing of the Democratic party cannot, in fact, come up with someone better.

This election has Bernie from the far left against Hillary from the center against the Republican field from the far right against Trump from the far Trump against Carson from a galaxy far, far away. It's got the full spectrum, anyway.
                Last edited by Kepler; 11-09-2015, 07:37 AM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  he's a former surgeon. They all know they are 100% right `100% of the time. They need that arrogance as surgeons, i guess, but keep the mf away from the wh at all costs.
                  fyp
                  "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                  Groucho Marx
                  "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                  Ron White
                  "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                  Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Elizabeth Warren passed, and unlike the hagiographic caricature she gets around here, I'm not completely sold on her yet. Mostly because I'm not 100% committed to the "ALL CORPORATIONS ARE T3H DEVIL!!!!" calliope.
                    To be fair, Warren doesn't play that tune. Bernie does. Warren comes out of the middle class consumer advocacy tradition -- she speaks for the suburbanite who is worried about pollution in the water supply or huge corporate monopolies that capture and extort markets. Bernie's an actual leftist, bless his heart.

Warren doesn't move the Overton window -- her positions fit well within the established center left-to-far right spectrum that has dominated American politics since the 40's. Bernie does, reviving the American far left that has been moribund since the 30's. Bernie's doing the lord's work the way radical conservatives in the 80's and 90's expanded American political consciousness to include far right ideas and policies.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Hillary's a great candidate if you want a Democrat who advocates positions from the mid-1970s Republican party. Unfortunately it appears that the Democratic wing of the Democratic party cannot, in fact, come up with someone better.

This election has Bernie from the far left against Hillary from the center against the Republican field from the far right against Trump from the far Trump against Carson from a galaxy far, far away. It's got the full spectrum, anyway.
                      Somehow I never considered Nixon and Ford to be liberals! Or even centrists.

Look, I know a 75 year old doddy rumpled crank gets your glands going, but its time to give up the ghost! Maybe he'll do a magazine centerfold someday which you can purchase.

Regarding Trump, if the man speaks for his ideology, he should be the party nominee. It amazes me how think-tank influenced everybody except for him is during this race. Decrying immigration but vowing to protect Social Security and Medicare is a lot closer to where the rural white working class is than weasel Paul Ryan's ridiculous Ayn Rand proposals that everybody else has adopted running for Prez.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Somehow I never considered Nixon and Ford to be liberals! Or even centrists.

Look, I know a 75 year old doddy rumpled crank gets your glands going, but its time to give up the ghost! Maybe he'll do a magazine centerfold someday which you can purchase.
                        Keep on shilling; don't stop shilling; you're gonna be a star someday...

You still haven't learned that the Hillary Entitlement Panzer goes nowhere without complete liberal support. So respect us and throw us a bone now and then or we might all wake up to President Rubio.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Keep on shilling; don't stop shilling; you're gonna be a star someday...

You still haven't learned that the Hillary Entitlement Panzer goes nowhere without complete liberal support. So respect us and throw us a bone now and then or we might all wake up to President Rubio.
                          Kep you Sandernistas are starting to channel Ralph Nader. 70's Republicans were 1) anti Roe vs Wade, 2) neo-conservatives, and 3) huge proponents of cutting taxes on the rich. Saying Hillary represents what the GOP was 40 years ago is stark raving stupid. There's this myth about mostly pushed by Reagan apostles about how he single handedly changed the trajectory of the country from arch liberalism to arch conservatism in late 1980. Of course that's nonsense. The GOP started its march to the right with Goldwater and Nixon a decade earlier (Southern Strategy, Supply Side Economics, etc). Show me where Hillary wants to outlaw abortion rights, cut taxes on the 1% and start a ground war in Syria.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It's interesting that you would use Hillary to describe "positions from the mid-1970's Republican party". Is this what you actually think Hillary advocates for positions or do you know this from listening to her? Obviously it's been awhile since you have listened to her campaign because this isn't the same old Hillary of the years past. She speaks on many policies with a strict progressive stance and means it. She clearly is someone who listen, studies and understands the need to evolve with the changing times. Some might call it pandering, but meh, those are just her opponents and it suits them well to say that doesn't it? ... What I do know from listening to the Republican candidates speak on current issues is that they seem to be the party of yesterday, not just in what we see but what they speak of directly. Trickle down economics, pro-war, anti-immigration, anti-abortion, anti-LGBT rights, against voting rights. These are stances that were widely popular back in the 1970's and in today's political spectrum only go to alienate large segments of the voting demographic. Why alienate women, LGBT, immigrants, African Americans, Latino's (basically anyone who isn't a white male) when those are the group of people who have continuously been growing in numbers across the country? This is especially a factor in many key swing states like Virginia, Florida, Nevada and Colorado. Combine all that with the fact that those that support the Republican party are typically older and well, I don't think it needs to be mentioned the downfall with that and you have a recipe for disaster in this coming election and future presidential elections. That is unless they wake up and realize that the "Grand Old Party" of the past does not work with the current voting demographics of today.
                            St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                            4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                            2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                            16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                            2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              70's Republicans were 1) anti Roe vs Wade, 2) neo-conservatives, and 3) huge proponents of cutting taxes on the rich.
                              Literally none of this is true as generalization. 1) wasn't party-specific yet -- in fact majorities in both parties were anti-abortion when the SCOTUS decision came down, as has been pointed out many times as one of its biggest flaws. It was in 1980 that Reagan's campaign team used an anti-abortion plank (Reagan himself was personally pro-choice) to pull in working class Catholics from the Democrats. 2) were for the most part still Democrats, both because they were NYC Jews and because they understood their power base would have to run through corporatist military special interests which was at that time still strongly identified with southern Democrats. 3) was only true of the National Review crowd, while Rockefeller Republicans were still staked out in Eisenhower territory on tax policy.

What you've done is retconned 70's Republicanism based on what eventually happened. When Jimmy Carter was elected he was a southern Born Again conservative pledging to restore "traditional American values." The GOP chose to heavily emphasize the "small government" rhetoric of Reagan in large part because they could not get around the right flank of Carter on what we would today call "Neoconservatism" (pro-Israel, pro-militarism). Remember, the American foreign policy assertion that threats to Middle eastern oil supply are a justifiable cause for American projection of force is called the "Carter Doctrine."

Hillary is a hawk -- a "Cold War liberal." Her social progressivism, while not at all pioneering, is acceptable, but it's not her unique selling point. That is her Thatcherite militarism, which I guess any "first woman" in a democracy has to exhibit in order to rebut the knuckledraggers who think women can't be as bloodthirsty as men.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 11-09-2015, 10:48 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25843

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25844
                                Last edited by SJHovey; 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X