Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2009 (or, in Super Bowl nomenclature, MMIX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2009 (or, in Super Bowl nomenclature, MMIX)

Actually, I'm glad he's out of the picture. For me, the NFL is an escape from politics. For a few hours each week, I'm happy to stop caring about political debates.

It's not just because he's conservative -- I wouldn't want to have to hear about, say, Michael Moore either.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      Actually, I'm glad he's out of the picture. For me, the NFL is an escape from politics. For a few hours each week, I'm happy to stop caring about political debates.

It's not just because he's conservative -- I wouldn't want to have to hear about, say, Michael Moore either.
      And if Michael Moore decided he wanted to buy a team, more power to him, provided he followed my guidelines stated in my previous post. And I think he's a sensationalist pig. Even if he bought the Bills. Yep. I said it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm not convinced it wasn't a publicity stunt by a guy w/ a martyrdom complex. I'm not crying for Limbaugh. He got what he wanted.
        He wanted to be part owner of the team. He grew up in the St. Louis area, he used to show up to Vikings games all the time when Red McCombs owned the team, sat in the owner's box with him. The man enjoys the sport and wanted to get that much closer to it.

That said, he's far too outspoken for the owners to take him into their club. It's slightly ironic that being the loudmouthed pot-stirrer simultaneously put him in the position to contribute to an ownership group and removed him from that same group.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Rush is thinking too small-time. He could buy the entire UFL if he wanted to. He should focus on that.

Comment

I'm not convinced it wasn't a publicity stunt by a guy w/ a martyrdom complex. I'm not crying for Limbaugh. He got what he wanted.
            I'm not crying for him, either, and the publicity-stunt theory makes some sense. However, the NFL trying to hold the moral high ground here is laughable.

Comment

I think Rush should try to buy an NHL franchise, Bettman would probably have an anurysm if Limbaugh and Balsillie end up owning NHL franchises.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That might be reason alone right there.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
                  I'm not crying for him, either, and the publicity-stunt theory makes some sense. However, the NFL trying to hold the moral high ground here is laughable.
                  Yeah. He was dumb using drugs. He should have gotten drunk, run someone over and killed some dogs before heading home. And if asked about it, said he didn't see nuthin'
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
                    Because he'd fit right in with the other controversial criminals that nobody in the NFL seems to have as much of a problem with?

Perhaps he should have killed some dogs, or run down a pedestrian in the street.
                    Last time I checked there's a higher standard for owners then for players.

There is a select group of guys who can play in the NFL, the NFL also can't turn down these guys from playing: they have no other means of making money really. The NFL can always find enough rich guys/girls who want to own a piece of an NFL team, plus very few people own sports franchises to make money on them.
                    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      People hate you, and really don't like what you represent. NFL wants no part of that controversy.
                      TF, if he could run or throw they would
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The NFL can always find enough rich guys/girls who want to own a piece of an NFL team, plus very few people own sports franchises to make money on them.
                        The NFL is a gold mine
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          The NFL is a gold mine
                          It's a long term project though. The majority of the money they make is when they sell the team.

Comment

Last time I checked there's a higher standard for owners then for players.
                            *****http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/12/Picture%204.png******

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                              *****http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/12/Picture%204.png******
                              Al Davis was grandfathered in. And as bad as he is as an owner, last time I checked Rush Limbaugh has broken a lot more laws than Al Davis.
                              Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

There is a select group of guys who can play in the NFL, the NFL also can't turn down these guys from playing: they have no other means of making money really.
                                That doesn't mean they should be allowed free reign. If you're making millions of dollars a year, I don't think it's too much to ask you refrain from running dog fighting rings or driving dunk multiple times. (I'm not saying you were saying that, just wanted to get it out, I'm sick of all of this "he served his time so he should be able to play" bull****. Just because the law is done with someone doesn't meanthe NFL has to accept them no questions asked, I think they can hold their players to a slightly higher standard.)

The NFL can always find enough rich guys/girls who want to own a piece of an NFL team, plus very few people own sports franchises to make money on them.
                                Can we find one of the ones who doesn't want in just to make money and replace Snyder with him/her?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X