Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Yikes!

mr les is French Canadien. They named all the med Joseph and the women Mary. DIfferent middle names. They also named the men Maria. Thankfully I am not the one who was researching that
    My maternal side is Norwegian. My great-great grandfather had 8 children, 5 boys/3 girls. The 5 boys were: Ole Knut, Knut Ole, Ole Ole, Knut Knut, and the youngest, my grand grandfather...Oscar Julius (who they called O.J.). We speculate they ran out of names. : - )
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

My maternal side is Norwegian. My great-great grandfather had 8 children, 5 boys/3 girls. The 5 boys were: Ole Knut, Knut Ole, Ole Ole, Knut Knut, and the youngest, my grand grandfather...Oscar Julius (who they called O.J.). We speculate they ran out of names. : - )
      Ooof. My Swedes are making me nuts- they have no surnames, just [x]sson or dotter. I gave up and am letting my cousin- of some sort- dig thru it. He is a Swede and has access and language skills. Turns out we have ~30 relatives that came over around the time of my GGF. Never knew. He was persona non grata after he cheated on my GGM and lived with his mistress in DeLand FLA. Apparently FLA didn't have consistent State records til way after 1910. They were the East coast version of the wild west- late to settle and later to be civilized. Inconvenient and frustrating

Comment

Ooof. My Swedes are making me nuts- they have no surnames, just [x]sson or dotter. I gave up and am letting my cousin- of some sort- dig thru it. He is a Swede and has access and language skills. Turns out we have ~30 relatives that came over around the time of my GGF. Never knew. He was persona non grata after he cheated on my GGM and lived with his mistress in DeLand FLA. Apparently FLA didn't have consistent State records til way after 1910. They were the East coast version of the wild west- late to settle and later to be civilized. Inconvenient and frustrating
        Yeah, we have a ton of that as well. Fortunately, my great aunt was extremely interested in geneology and our family's history to the point where she would take vacations to Norway to research baptism/marriage/death records. She got that side traced back to the late 14th Century, when she found out that our line actually came to Norway from Denmark. The first generation to have a legitimate "surname" (actually the name of the family farm) was the generation that came over to the United States in the late 19th Century. According to my great aunt, they picked that surname because they didn't understand the question being asked on the immigration form. : - )
        North Dakota

Comment

Yeah, we have a ton of that as well. Fortunately, my great aunt was extremely interested in geneology and our family's history to the point where she would take vacations to Norway to research baptism/marriage/death records. She got that side traced back to the late 14th Century, when she found out that our line actually came to Norway from Denmark. The first generation to have a legitimate "surname" (actually the name of the family farm) was the generation that came over to the United States in the late 19th Century. According to my great aunt, they picked that surname because they didn't understand the question being asked on the immigration form. : - )
          Cool. My GGF changed his given name because he thought the name sounded too Jewish and this apparently was not good. My Aunt was into looking into things but there was so much info missing that she couldn't get anywhere. We didn't know he changed his name. I am so sad that she passed before the Cousin saw a post on ancestry and contacted me.

Comment

Cool. My GGF changed his given name because he thought the name sounded too Jewish and this apparently was not good. My Aunt was into looking into things but there was so much info missing that she couldn't get anywhere. We didn't know he changed his name. I am so sad that she passed before the Cousin saw a post on ancestry and contacted me.
            That's unfortunate about your Aunt. There are definitely times that I wish I would have been more interested in my family's history when I was younger and could have asked questions to people who would have either had the information or been able to point me in the right direction. On my paternal side, most of the leads I was able to develop stem from a recorded interview I did with my grandfather before he passed away. It was actually a part of a research project in undergrad, but I was able to use the recording later on to figure out some leads.

Changing names though, that definitely adds to the difficulty of the search!
            North Dakota

Comment

That's unfortunate about your Aunt. There are definitely times that I wish I would have been more interested in my family's history when I was younger and could have asked questions to people who would have either had the information or been able to point me in the right direction. On my paternal side, most of the leads I was able to develop stem from a recorded interview I did with my grandfather before he passed away. It was actually a part of a research project in undergrad, but I was able to use the recording later on to figure out some leads.

Changing names though, that definitely adds to the difficulty of the search!
              Started as a project in grad school. Have hours of interviews from both Aunts that I taped in the mid80s. They have both passed. My Father is 90 and knows very little. He is periodically interested, sort of. His wife vehemently expresses how foolish (and other derogatory things) she thinks wanting to know things like this is so either I catch him alone or its a no go. Haven't been able to do that for the last 10 months.

My Aunts were interested but my GM was either not aware or not forthcoming when she told stories about the fam. Heard lots of anecdotes of the Maternal side- the GGGM was a midwife- married or cohabited with at least 3 diff men- bore children from each. Apparently was quite a character. Went out one Christmas Eve to help with a birth and they found her the next morning in the barn, frozen solid. Apparently she died on the way home and the horse just went into the barn and waited.

The Scottish side is much easier- better records and the propensity for family to keep tabs on each other. Went to visit my Mum's cousin and she reeled off >100 family members from multiple generations, back to the early 1800s- names, locations, who they married, where they emigrated to, dates, etc. She corresponded with most of the living ones. Helps that most of my family has been on the same farms since the late 1400s. ::yikes::

Comment

• I got my Ancestry results which was interesting, to scroll through all my Finnish distant cousins- more useful was the report I downloaded on the implications of my genome from FoundMyFitness which accurately predicts my current health issues, and warns of future causes for concern, and gives dietary guidance. There are genetic reasons why I can't have more than two cups of coffee, and why I crave bread, eggs, etc., and why other certain issues have been getting worse as I age. One thing that's easy to change is that I really do need more fish oil than most people. The exercise thing will be more challenging.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Discovered the exact village my family name hails from. In 1905 it had like 120 people in it. Crazy!

I had been looking in what I thought was the village church records. Turns out they were “district” church records.

I also found a site that hosts tens of thousands of historic maps. I was trying to find some of my other family roots in that area (wives via their maiden names are easier to find if you have village name since they really only have birth and christening records). Noticed one of the fields on my GGG-grandfather’s birth records and realized it was his hometown! I had completely ignore the field because it wasn’t easy to read, much less translate from German. Once I realized a few key letters lined up, it all came together.

The village is so small that Google street view still hasn’t reached it and it doesn’t even get a label. But people still live there!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Discovered the exact village my family name hails from. In 1905 it had like 120 people in it. Crazy!

I had been looking in what I thought was the village church records. Turns out they were “district” church records.

I also found a site that hosts tens of thousands of historic maps. I was trying to find some of my other family roots in that area (wives via their maiden names are easier to find if you have village name since they really only have birth and christening records). Noticed one of the fields on my GGG-grandfather’s birth records and realized it was his hometown! I had completely ignore the field because it wasn’t easy to read, much less translate from German. Once I realized a few key letters lined up, it all came together.

The village is so small that Google street view still hasn’t reached it and it doesn’t even get a label. But people still live there!
                    This is WAY cool!

I just connected with some cousin in California. My GGF's Uncle's GGGgrandson. I am not even going to try to figure out what that makes him to me. We have a boat load of cousins of some sort in Wisconsin- Door area. And some in Ephriam. I guess one of them owned a big resort up there until he finally sold it - Peterson was the last name.

Meanwhile.... it seems like all the people who came over were not particularly interested in talking about their roots so still no info on they whys and who was with who

Comment

• After a couple year break i've come back to my research on my family. A few dead ends still as records for some countries are non-existent or unreadable (Czech Rep). But, currently my biggest pain point is records with contradictory information. I wonder if it was common for people to give incorrect dates on documents. Because i have exact matches for several family members on several documents all with birth years that are more than 2 years apart. Makes it impossible to know for sure if they are the correct people!
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Have the same issue- some records will list baptism date as birthdate which is irritating. I also have paper trails with exact info except for year. Or people who list different years on same type of document while listed with the same people. I wonder if some of it is word of mouth and the person who is giving the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          After a couple year break i've come back to my research on my family. A few dead ends still as records for some countries are non-existent or unreadable (Czech Rep). But, currently my biggest pain point is records with contradictory information. I wonder if it was common for people to give incorrect dates on documents. Because i have exact matches for several family members on several documents all with birth years that are more than 2 years apart. Makes it impossible to know for sure if they are the correct people!
                          This reminds me of a town in Russia that had a huge number of men who were > 80 years old. It was because when they took a census every male between 15 and 50 claimed to be 51 to be exempt from the draft.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This reminds me of a town in Russia that had a huge number of men who were > 80 years old. It was because when they took a census every male between 15 and 50 claimed to be 51 to be exempt from the draft.
                            interesting

Comment

interesting
                              The Russian draft is allegedly the main reason my Great Great Grandfather (paternal) came to the United States. That line had come from Germany (~Frankfurt) over to then-Russia (modern day Ukraine) when Catherine gave great benefits to Germans to move to Russia, which included draft exemption. The story is that as my Great Great Grandfather was growing up, the rules had apparently changed and he was going to be eligible to get drafted. So, him and his two brothers came to the United States.
                              North Dakota

Comment

My paternal and maternal sides are both entirely Norwegian, though it appears some Ole (or Ingrid) must have jumped the fence with a Finn at some point in the distant past.

When UND plays the Gophers, I feel the blood of Ragnar Lothbrok pulsing through my veins.

Comment

Working...
                                X