Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

I just found a great great uncle who lived in the same town as dad les but dad les never knew anything about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I just found out over the weekend that the widow of Ben-Ami Kadish is a third cousin, twice removed. He wasn't Jonathan Pollard, but ...
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Ami_Kadish
      Yikes!

Comment

Only seven?

Oh, you forgot "Shot".
        I figured that was a given.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          I just found a great great uncle who lived in the same town as dad les but dad les never knew anything about him.
          You think that's weird. Dr. Mrs. has a relative who found out her husband had a second family. In the same town. For thirty years.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            You think that's weird. Dr. Mrs. has a relative who found out her husband had a second family. In the same town. For thirty years.
            I've heard stories of airline pilots and traveling salesmen pulling that off on opposite coasts, but the same town? That takes talent.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              I've heard stories of airline pilots and traveling salesmen pulling that off on opposite coasts, but the same town? That takes talent.
              It took a witting second wife. She knew about wife 1 and kept the lid on. When she died the kids did some hunting and hey funny story.

Flagstaff just isn't that big a town.
              Last edited by Kepler; 04-20-2020, 05:15 PM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That one wins!

The men in our family seem to move off- far enough that they are not easily accessible. This guy moved from Dorchester to Quincy away from his fam. dad les' father moved away from this guy's nephew to Quincy but a few decades later. It isn't like we have huge family. Even tho people moved away they kept in touch. Makes me wonder why they lost connection. Still digging

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  Yikes!
                  I may have mentioned it before on this thread, but I am related to a lot of the semi-famous. like the inventor of the Tootsie Roll, Leopold Hirschfeld, who was second cousin, three times removed. (Most of the information about him on the internet is wrong.)

IMO, there are only three German Jews who are truly famous, Albert Einstein, Henry Kissinger, and Anne Frank. None are related as far as i know.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

IMO, there are only three German Jews who are truly famous, Albert Einstein, Henry Kissinger, and Anne Frank.
                    Karl Marx says hi.

Theodor Adorno, Hannah Arendt, Hans Bethe, Ernst Bloch, Franz Boas, Max Born, Paul Ehrlich, Adolf Fraenkel, Fritz Haber, Heinrich Heine, Max Horkheimer, Edmund Husserl, Werner Klemperer, Hans Adolf Krebs, Emanuel Lasker, Theodor Lessing, Carl Laemmle, Gustav Mahler, Herbert Marcuse, Felix Mendelssohn, Moses Mendelssohn, Peter Max, Albert A. Michelson, Arno Penzias, André Previn, Arnold Schoenberg, Georg Simmel, Bruno Walter, and Kurt Weill are in the foyer.

There are more famous German Jews than any other hyphenated national-religious combination on Earth.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 04-21-2020, 12:05 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Karl Marx says hi.

Theodor Adorno, Hannah Arendt, Hans Bethe, Ernst Bloch, Franz Boas, Max Born, Paul Ehrlich, Adolf Fraenkel, Fritz Haber, Heinrich Heine, Max Horkheimer, Edmund Husserl, Werner Klemperer, Hans Adolf Krebs, Emanuel Lasker, Theodor Lessing, Carl Laemmle, Gustav Mahler, Herbert Marcuse, Felix Mendelssohn, Moses Mendelssohn, Peter Max, Albert A. Michelson, Arno Penzias, André Previn, Arnold Schoenberg, Georg Simmel, Bruno Walter, and Kurt Weill are in the foyer.

There are more famous German Jews than any other hyphenated national-religious combination on Earth.
                      It is of course up to the individual person as to whom he considers to be famous. It is also not clear as to what is a German Jew because of shifting borders. Furthermore, it is unimportant because genetically there is really no difference between central and eastern European Jewry as autosomal DNA tests show-- the ones from eastern Europe left the Rhineland at the time of the Crusades.

I should have included Karl Marx, but I don't really want to find out that he is related. I suspect that more people, at least over a certain age, have heard of Max Born's granddaughter Olivia Newton-John than him.

Close to half the people whom you have listed, I have not heard of. I was recently in contact with a grandson of Arnold Schoenberg, and i know that he was from Vienna.

FWIW, Carl Laemmle was a childhood friend in Laupheim, Württemberg of the tootsie roll inventor Leopold Hirschfeld, whom I mentioned earlier. They immigrated to the US together.
                      https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Laemmle/ Am 28. Januar 1884 wanderte er zusammen mit seinem Schulfreund Leopold Hirschfeld im Alter von 17 Jahren in die USA aus. (On January 28, 1884 he [Laemmle] emigrated together with his school friend Leopold Hirschfeld in the age of 17 to the USA.)

At one time, Ludwig Marum was famous as a member of the Reichstag and an early Hitler victim. He was a third cousin, twice removed.

Oh, William Zeckendorf, Sr., at one time the most infamous NYC real estate developer is on my tree. (He's been trumped. ) He was a fourth cousin. Yes, although born in 1905, he is a member of the same generation as I am. It's as a Baer. For me the decent from our mutual ancestors is all male which means that the people are likely to be older when they had children. Zeckendorf -- 1796, 1833, 1856, 1880, 1905. Me -- 1803, 1846, 1881, 1910, 1948.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-21-2020, 04:56 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I had been told forever that my family are "Germans from Russia" and that my grandfather told us that we were "Hamburgers, not Frankfurters."

Well, this downtime has allowed me to trace my ancestors to current Moldova/Ukraine and then previously to Baden-Würrtemberg in southwest Germany (a much better place to be from than Hamburg.)

Also, Henry Kissinger was born in the city I currently live in and even has a plaque in the pedestrian area as a famous "Fürther."

Comment

I talked to my brother. On our side of things, I learned I'm the only trans person in the family, but I have a cousin who is a lesbian. I need to talk to my aunt and uncle on my Mom's side of the family to see what I'm missing.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I've been busy trying to expand my family tree via Ancestry.com and have gathered a lot more information of late.

-I've found one relative as far back as 1530 - an 11th great-grandfather on my father's side from Switzerland
                            -The majority of my lineage is German and Norwegian
                            -The other 50% is a mixture of relatives from England, Switzerland, Poland, Sweden, Denmark and Russia
                            -I have a relative last named McCartney who was born in Liverpool and died there in 1846. I couldn't confirm any additional links to Liverpool (my tie in is a daughter emigrated to PA) and obviously there's sliver of a chance but hey a guy can dream.
                            -The coolest link I could find is that of a 5th great-grandfather born in Germany in 1727. He came to the U.S. on the ship "Brothers" in 1751. He served in the French and Indian War, and later was a commander in George Washington's "Corps of Rangers" Expert Pennsylvania Riflemen! There's quite a bit of information on some of his battles. Awesome.

Comment

Way cool.

I have been corresponding with my cousin in Sweden. Found out a bunch of relatives came over here before and during the time GGF came. Found his Swedish record of leaving Sweden and managed to find him in the unindexed passenger list arriving in NY because I found the ship in the right time frame Yay me! I also found someone that fits his stats who gave their body to science in Chicago- which doesn't match family stories but would explain why I have a deed to a plot in Oakdale FLA and they have no record of who is in that plot

ALso found out that one of my Great Aunts had a hubby that went out to California and appears to have married a second time without being unmarried from her. Obit lists a different wife and he is listed in the census living with the odd wife the same time that my GA was listed out here. Yikes! Of course I foolishly asked my father (89 yo) if he knew anything when his wife was on the line. She hates the idea of doing a tree and always disparages that I do it. It is stupid. So of course he said he didn't know anything and was very offputting.

Comment

This is my family.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X