Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    I wondered what happened with that. Cool
    If you are referring to the fact that there are a few missing years in the records which are in the Generallandesarchiv in Karlsruhe and now on line, it might have been that the Priest who recorded the information forgot to send the Jewish records to Karlruhe for a few years. In all but a few larger places in Baden, Priests also recorded Jewish records from about 1810 to the start of the 1870 because no Jew could write in the common alphabet. Jews at the time usually wrote High German in Hebrew script. I have several family letters written that way. They are not Yiddish but normal German written using Hebrew characters.

It also could be that since it was illegitimate, Dolz (Therese) gave birth elsewhere. She did, however, have another illegitimate child born where she lived and duly recorded. She married several years later and had four more children. She, her husband, and the 6 children are all listed on the ship record with ages. The illegitimate children could not have been from the marriage because the husband who was considerably young than Therese would have been less than 10 years old when they were born.

Edit: One of the letters which I submitted last year for translation since I can only make out some of the words. https://www.jewishgen.org/viewmate/r....asp?key=49135
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-01-2017, 08:11 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That is pretty cool. My Aunt had a bunch of letters from Sweden that she lost at some point

Comment

While in Sweden and Norway, we visited two of the farms that I traced family back to. At both we met people that were living there.

In Sweden, the people that were currently on the farms where my ancestor was from also had ancestors on that land when my ancestor was there. They were able to track back the names I gave them, and they confirmed the exact section of the farm my ancestor ran/owned, and also provided more detail on the family, and the events that led to my ancestor emigrating to the US.

In Norway, we found that the guy we found, and talked to on the farm was actually a distant cousin. We drove up, introduced ourselves, and he introduced himself, and his last name was the same as my mom's maiden name. After looking in his records we found that his 4th great grandfather and my mom's 4th great grandfather were brothers. Pretty cool to track down the information on the farms, actually go there and then on top of that actually find a living relative.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          While in Sweden and Norway, we visited two of the farms that I traced family back to. At both we met people that were living there.

In Sweden, the people that were currently on the farms where my ancestor was from also had ancestors on that land when my ancestor was there. They were able to track back the names I gave them, and they confirmed the exact section of the farm my ancestor ran/owned, and also provided more detail on the family, and the events that led to my ancestor emigrating to the US.

In Norway, we found that the guy we found, and talked to on the farm was actually a distant cousin. We drove up, introduced ourselves, and he introduced himself, and his last name was the same as my mom's maiden name. After looking in his records we found that his 4th great grandfather and my mom's 4th great grandfather were brothers. Pretty cool to track down the information on the farms, actually go there and then on top of that actually find a living relative.
          Wow! that is way cool!

My father wants the DNA test for Christmas. My Stepmum is adamantly opposed to any discussion re family history. It is useless to look back, blahdybladyblah. My Dad loves to tell stories but they are always together and she shuts him down. This may be the opening I have been looking for!

Comment

Were they still farming the land?
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Wow! that is way cool!

My father wants the DNA test for Christmas. My Stepmum is adamantly opposed to any discussion re family history. It is useless to look back, blahdybladyblah. My Dad loves to tell stories but they are always together and she shuts him down. This may be the opening I have been looking for!
              Some of my family members did the Ancestry DNA test and it was pretty underwhelming. They try to guess where you come from but it is a very inexact science. The only good thing is that it can confirm various ancestors based on other people's DNA.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Some of my family members did the Ancestry DNA test and it was pretty underwhelming. They try to guess where you come from but it is a very inexact science. The only good thing is that it can confirm various ancestors based on other people's DNA.
                I know it isn't all that accurate but it allows me to talk about it without my stepmum telling my Dad it isn't important.

Comment

I know it isn't all that accurate but it allows me to talk about it without my stepmum telling my Dad it isn't important.
                  It is definitely worth it then. If you have an ancestry tree you can find distant cousins which could be of interest to you.

Comment

It is definitely worth it then. If you have an ancestry tree you can find distant cousins which could be of interest to you.
                    I have one that in no way reflects what I have on my private tree but it opens the door.

Comment

I have one that in no way reflects what I have on my private tree but it opens the door.
                      What do you use for a private tree? At some point I need to create one and get things more organized. I've been at it less than a year in my defense.

Comment

What do you use for a private tree? At some point I need to create one and get things more organized. I've been at it less than a year in my defense.
                        I have Family Tree Maker. Love it. Lots of options, allows syncing if you want, populates fields. etc. I don't publish online because I have pages and pages of notes that are private. Not that expensive and functionality is so much better than ancestry.com online

Comment

Wow! that is way cool!

I highly doubt that your father will match me.

I have taken the autosomal DNA test from both FTDNA and Ancestry. I like FTDNA much better. I have also taken Y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA tests from FTDNA. IMHO, the mitochondrial test was a waste of money.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I have an extra disc for FTM Mac based (if you are an apple person) if you want it. They sent it by accident. It is a version or maybe two back but it will go and and if you like it you can upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Were they still farming the land?
                              In Norway they were. It was a different family farming the land in Sweden, since in that family, there aren't any living relatives left in that area.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What tools did you use to track the Norwegians back in the home country? I have the name and date that my great grandfather crossed over, and he went to a weird destination (NJ instead of the Great Lakes) so I have hopes.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X