Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yes, it's possible. There are cities in MN where German was the primary language spoken until WWI happened. German pubs had entire walls repainted, and until recently - the last 15 years or so - all German traces were erased except for the city name and its inhabitants' names. English became the primary language, and all of it done for two purposes. First, these people wanted to show their loyalty to their adoptive home of America. Second, there was a serious anti-German sentiment sweeping through the Midwest at the time, largely because of the large number of German families that settled here over the prior few generations.
    As soon as mom described what she was seeing, I immediately suspected this theory. Impossible to really confirm, but thanks.

Comment

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

My last name was changed in that same era. It sounds the same, but they changed a couple letters so it didn't look so Germanic. (Swedish)
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Family Tree Maker 2017 is now available. Connects with Ancestry and Family Search.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Family Tree Maker 2017 is now available. Connects with Ancestry and Family Search.
          Is it better than just using Ancestry? I'm still a novice and any help is appreciated.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Riddle me this. We always thought my mom's great-grandparents were children of German immigrants. And it started out that way back in 1900, but by 1920, the census records have them claiming French and Canadian ancestry.

Could this be due to WWI? Changing it to avoid discrimination against German-Americans during and after the war?
            Maybe they were from the Alsace which was in Germany before WW-I but became French after the war.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Mom's Dad's family was from MountCharles in County Donegal in the Irish Free State and Belfast, Northern Ireland. Her Mom's side was from Breman and Lower Saxony, German Empire.

Interesting times in the Great War. Grandfather was an importer and lost his business and fortune during the war. He did not take it well and became a vicious drunk.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Maybe they were from the Alsace which was in Germany before WW-I but became French after the war.
                That doesn't explain great-great-grandma's Canadian claim though, unless we go all the way back through Quebec.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  That doesn't explain great-great-grandma's Canadian claim though, unless we go all the way back through Quebec.
                  Filles du Roi?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Filles du Roi?
                    Assimil is helping, but I clearly have a lot of work to do on my French before October (yeah, I Googled it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Is it better than just using Ancestry? I'm still a novice and any help is appreciated.
                      The biggest advantage is the ability to keep things offline. You may not want all family photos and documents to be on the internet.

This is also the first fully new version by MacKiev. The product was discontinued in 2014. They picked it up and made a small patch version 2014.1. No releases since then.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Mom is running with the Alsace theory now. Gives her something to do, I guess. Thanks.

Comment

Possible but the census tries (at least retroactively) to define birthplace according to the political situation at the time of the birth. For example, I have relatives who come from a particular BFE town in present day Slovakia. Depending on when they were born they are listed as being from the Kingdom of Hungary, Austria-Hungary, Czechoslovakia, the "Slovak Republic" (a Nazi-occupied client state), Czechoslovakia again or Slovakia. In each case their American census lists them as from the country of their birth even after several gyrations of the region. Sometimes they screw up (IINM the 20s Census tends to have messed up possibly because of untrained data workers) but typically whatever you were, it sticks.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Mom is running with the Alsace theory now. Gives her something to do, I guess. Thanks.
                            Frenchgeneology.com
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I determined this week that I am apparently distantly related by marriage to the late actress Gita HALL whom I had never heard of. Her last husband and the father of two of her three children, Mitchell MAY III, was a great-great-great-grandson of Dolz (Therese) BAER, the eldest sister of my great-great-grandfather Lazarus BAER. Although she was more than 14 years older than me, I am a generation older. That isn't surprising since it is my male line.

The "apparently" in the first sentence is because it is through a probably illegitimate daughter of Dolz whose birth appears to have been in a three-year break in the copy of the birth records which are on line on the state archives website. I haven't heard back yet from the town where the originals are.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I determined this week that I am apparently distantly related by marriage to the late actress Gita HALL whom I had never heard of. Her last husband and the father of two of her three children, Mitchell MAY III, was a great-great-great-grandson of Dolz (Therese) BAER, the eldest sister of my great-great-grandfather Lazarus BAER. Although she was more than 14 years older than me, I am a generation older. That isn't surprising since it is my male line.

The "apparently" in the first sentence is because it is through a probably illegitimate daughter of Dolz whose birth appears to have been in a three-year break in the copy of the birth records which are on line on the state archives website. I haven't heard back yet from the town where the originals are.
                                I wondered what happened with that. Cool

Comment

Working...
                                X