Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Death records for the people you do know. From there you look at Obits. Also post on Ancestry in a number of threads. . I found my Swedish cousins by accident answering a question about a distant relative.
    Where would I post in Ancestry?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      Where would I post in Ancestry?
      They have a forum that you can post in. http://boards.ancestry.com/

You can search by location, name, etc. It is a little hard to find with the new set up. It is under the help button now. Used to be a tab on the top. Make sure you put info in title- surname, maybe location. People title things poorly and they don't get opened.
      Last edited by leswp1; 01-29-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

They have a forum that you can post in. http://boards.ancestry.com/

You can search by location, name, etc. It is a little hard to find with the new set up. It is under the help button now. Used to be a tab on the top. Make sure you put info in title- surname, maybe location. People title things poorly and they don't get opened.
        They know that poorly titled threads contain links to live stream soccer games.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          Since, the 1950 Census hasn't been released yet I am in a pickle. Family Search has only the 1940 census of my family and Ancestry does not have anything it's like they don't exist anywhere online. Poof. What would you guys recommend I do? My mom has done the DNA Ancestry test but still nothing. For example, all her DNA relatives on that side of the family are second or third cousins. Ideas?
          If you know where they are in the 1940 census, from Family Search, but you aren't getting the hints for that census on Ancestry, I'd go straight to census, and find them manually. Use the Family Search to determine the State, County, Township/Ward/City/etc, and then go to that exact same place in the 1940 census on Ancestry. From there, you should be able to find them on Ancestry and attach that record to your people. Enter all of the information you can find on the census into Ancestry, and see if any hints show up. If still nothing, I would look at any males in the family that would be between 18 and 50 years old in 1942, and search for WW2 draft cards, from there, you can get more information on those people. At this point, you should at least have pretty accurate birthdates (from the draft cards) and birth places (from the census and draft cards). Now start searching that area for birth records. Or search the 1930 census in the same area as the 1940 census, this is more of a shot in the dark, since if Ancestry isn't finding it, it is likely that they had moved. Hopefully after all this, you're starting to get hints.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I didn't have have time to respond before-

I would actually go in the opposite direction. Sometimes the more specific will filter out what you want d/t transcription errors. Ancestry has a few tutorials on this that were helpful to me. A few ways I have found people-
            -search last name, no first name, year of birth within 2+ yrs and location- start with actual town/city and then broaden seardh to county.
            -search first name, no last name, year of birth- location
            -search for wife, sibling, father or mother using above parameters.
            -in ancestry start in census then go thru the other categories (decreases the number of hits).
            -Do a search in the family tree section and message people who have private trees. DO NOT populate from these trees. They frequently have multiple errors. Any info should be confirmed- message person to see source.
            - then go to familysearch.org to do the same. This site has more errors (in my experience) if you are using their trees. Multiple errors in a tree assoc with my name, people who populate trees with any potential person so a guy could have 3 wives simultaneously as one of mine did.
            -city directories can be helpful. I usually search manually after finding the last name. This is freq helpful as they will list occupation and often widowed or widower. They will also list grown children.
            -post up and ask people if they are willing to search for you if you don't have full access to ancestry
            -the local library usually has the library edition of ancestry which gives you access to a lot of things without needing to buy the next level. email yourself the docs so you have copy on home computer.

where are you looking (locality)- USA or other countries?
            Last edited by leswp1; 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I didn't have have time to respond before-

I would actually go in the opposite direction. Sometimes the more specific will filter out what you want d/t transcription errors. Ancestry has a few tutorials on this that were helpful to me. A few ways I have found people-
              -search last name, no first name, year of birth within 2+ yrs and location- start with actual town/city and then broaden seardh to county.
              -search first name, no last name, year of birth- location
              -search for wife, sibling, father or mother using above parameters.
              -in ancestry start in census then go thru the other categories (decreases the number of hits).
              -Do a search in the family tree section and message people who have private trees. DO NOT populate from these trees. They frequently have multiple errors. Any info should be confirmed- message person to see source.
              - then go to familysearch.org to do the same. This site has more errors (in my experience) if you are using their trees. Multiple errors in a tree assoc with my name, people who populate trees with any potential person so a guy could have 3 wives simultaneously as one of mine did.
              -city directories can be helpful. I usually search manually after finding the last name. This is freq helpful as they will list occupation and often widowed or widower. They will also list grown children.
              -post up and ask people if they are willing to search for you if you don't have full access to ancestry
              -the local library usually has the library edition of ancestry which gives you access to a lot of things without needing to buy the next level. email yourself the docs so you have copy on home computer.

where are you looking (locality)- USA or other countries?
              What I end up doing is putting as much information as possible in the system, and then play with the "exactness" bars in the search window, to change what kind of results come back, to sort through what could be, if there are mistakes. Usually try to figure out which piece of info I have the most confidence in, and start with that item as exact, and everything else as very broad. Then I go on from there.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                What I end up doing is putting as much information as possible in the system, and then play with the "exactness" bars in the search window, to change what kind of results come back, to sort through what could be, if there are mistakes. Usually try to figure out which piece of info I have the most confidence in, and start with that item as exact, and everything else as very broad. Then I go on from there.
                That worked for me at first but I found way more using the above techniques if I got stuck. Found babies I hadn't been able to find for years.

Comment

I generally turn them to their second lowest setting when I'm trying to find my way out of dead-ends. It takes a boatload of time to sort through, but it's the only way sometimes. Especially since I know for a fact that my mom's side changed their name to a phonetic representation of their name when they arrived at immigration.

And as anyone know knows me understands, my last name is a complete clusterfark and is misspelled in so many documents from the era.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I generally turn them to their second lowest setting when I'm trying to find my way out of dead-ends. It takes a boatload of time to sort through, but it's the only way sometimes. Especially since I know for a fact that my mom's side changed their name to a phonetic representation of their name when they arrived at immigration.

And as anyone know knows me understands, my last name is a complete clusterfark and is misspelled in so many documents from the era.
                    My big last name roadblock was a complete change in names, that isn't anything like it is now. My ancestor that had my same last name had the surname of Larsson in Sweden...so yeah, not close to being the same. I had to use ship manifests to confirm that Larsson is correct. Got on a ship in Gothenberg as Larsson, got off a ship in New York as my current last name. And the names are too different for it to be a misspelling, or a phonetic change, he had to have decided to change his name. (which is pretty common with the Swedish immigrants from that time period.)

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

My big last name roadblock was a complete change in names, that isn't anything like it is now. My ancestor that had my same last name had the surname of Larsson in Sweden...so yeah, not close to being the same. I had to use ship manifests to confirm that Larsson is correct. Got on a ship in Gothenberg as Larsson, got off a ship in New York as my current last name. And the names are too different for it to be a misspelling, or a phonetic change, he had to have decided to change his name. (which is pretty common with the Swedish immigrants from that time period.)
                      My Swedish cousin told me that many of the names were misconstrued as being Jewish - my GGF was Emmanuelsson- so they changed them as well as losing the double s.

Comment

My Swedish cousin told me that many of the names were misconstrued as being Jewish - my GGF was Emmanuelsson- so they changed them as well as losing the double s.
                        Huh, I hadn't heard that. I wouldn't think that Larsson would be misconstrued as Jewish, but its a possibility. All of the other last names coming from Sweden in my tree are the same, or very similar to what they were. They are the Americanized version of the Swedish surnames. Andreasson -> Anderson, Svensson -> Swanson, Ingemansson -> Ingeman, Karlsson -> Carlson.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I have now identified the locations in Sweden and Norway my people came from for 5 branches of my family, looking at great-great grandparents, I have 5 of 8 branches my dad's side, and 0 of 8 on my mom's side. Need to break more into Norway to hash out my mom's side, and just haven't gotten there yet.

In Sweden the areas are right around Lidkoping, Vastra Gotland (Skaraborg), Northeast of Jonkoping, Jonkoping, right around Kristianstad, Skane (Kristianstad), and just south of Gothenberg, in Halland. In Norway, I have found them just northwest of Oslo, around Tyrifjorden (hits on both sides of the fjord).

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Huh, I hadn't heard that. I wouldn't think that Larsson would be misconstrued as Jewish, but its a possibility. All of the other last names coming from Sweden in my tree are the same, or very similar to what they were. They are the Americanized version of the Swedish surnames. Andreasson -> Anderson, Svensson -> Swanson, Ingemansson -> Ingeman, Karlsson -> Carlson.
                            I have a Carlson that went out that way. Worked on the railroads.

I have now identified the locations in Sweden and Norway my people came from for 5 branches of my family, looking at great-great grandparents, I have 5 of 8 branches my dad's side, and 0 of 8 on my mom's side. Need to break more into Norway to hash out my mom's side, and just haven't gotten there yet.

In Sweden the areas are right around Lidkoping, Vastra Gotland (Skaraborg), Northeast of Jonkoping, Jonkoping, right around Kristianstad, Skane (Kristianstad), and just south of Gothenberg, in Halland. In Norway, I have found them just northwest of Oslo, around Tyrifjorden (hits on both sides of the fjord).
                            This is where my folk are from

Comment

I have a Carlson that went out that way. Worked on the railroads.

This is where my folk are from
                              Do you know which parishes? My family lived in Lidkoping, Norra Harene, Hovby, Berg and Vattlosa parishes at some point or another (the one I've been tracing in Vasta Gotland moved around a bunch).

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Do you know which parishes? My family lived in Lidkoping, Norra Harene, Hovby, Berg and Vattlosa parishes at some point or another (the one I've been tracing in Vasta Gotland moved around a bunch).
                                Mine moved around a bit too. THis is from my Swedish cousin- translated from Swedish so a bit choppy.

We have also made contact with descendants of the grandmother's sister Maria Charlotta. She married soldier Klas Dahlqvist. They had 12 children. One of the children was Signe who is the mother of Jan Persson, currently living in Öland. Jan has helped us to display the image on the family reunion they had in the Sanctuary in 1956 and we have been able to give the tree a number of new faces.
                                We have visited Hovalida in Gingri where grandmother and father with some of the children lived and managed the farm during the years 1889-1894. From there the family moved to Little Råshult in Sanctuary where 1906 became neighbors with daughter Signe's family moved to the adjacent Great Råshult from the croft in Sandhult.
                                In the beautiful Ätradalen north of Ulricehamnsloppet lived our grandfather's grandmother's great-grandfather, Jonas Lejon, who soldier on Korsberga croft (see picture opposite) outside Timmele, between 1736-1741. Korsberga is today a beautiful year round residence. We have also visited his next croft Hässlet, east of Ulricehamnsloppet and Plate which is also located in Ätradalen. This fall, we will try to find out how Jonas lived his soldatliv but now we know that he, among many other patterned in Pomerania in 1758 and was a soldier in various positions from 1736 to 1780. Jonas's father was named Per Leo. He was also a soldier, and after these two are several descendants and relatives who were soldiers. The last of them was of course great grandfather, Gustaf End.

and a bit more- these are the railroad guys- 1905 the family moved Colson to the small town of Stanley outside Port Arthur where John was responsible for a group of railway workers and maintenance of a web member for the Canadian National Railway. John retired in 1931, on his 69 th birthday and then moved to Clara to Thunder Bay where he died in 1933. Clara passed away in 1942.

In Schreiber also lived his brother, Alfred, who then called himself Fred Carlson. He married Ida Petersson, we still do not know more about than that she was born in Sweden in 1861. They had their first child, Mary Carlson, Schreiber in 1889, but moved the following year to Minneapolis. There was born the daughter Jennie in 1891.

At the census of 1900, Fred renamed Frederick Carlsen and Ida called themselves Alfreda Carlsen, and they had then moved with the two girls to Springfield, Ohio. In 1910, Fred lived, Ida and Mary in Buffalo, NY, before 1914 moved back to Minneapolis again. Jennie stayed in Springfield where she married Ralph Dodd and lived all his life. They had no children.

Mary married in 1913 to Nels Swanson, who we have reason to believe was Nils Svensson from Gothenburg, born 1869. Mary and Nels had a daughter Alfreda, who had five daughters and son Alvin had a daughter, Peggi, today the editor of one of the largest websites on snowsports. The five girls are all married, have a family and live in different parts of America.

Both Fred and Nels worked for the Minneapolis Street Railway, which was a very extensive system of tram traffic to St. Paul, and ultimately to the pretty little town of Stillwater River at La Croix. Fred's wife Ida died in 1919 and there after Fred has lived with her daughter Mary and her family. He retired in 1930, 71 years old, and died 1938.

Comment

Working...
                                X