Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

    Just spent a lovely few hours digging in RFAlph's dead people. It is sometimes a breath of fresh air to do someone else's tree when all your twigs are at the dead end phase. If only I could read German!

    Comment


    • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

      Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Just spent a lovely few hours digging in RFAlph's dead people. It is sometimes a breath of fresh air to do someone else's tree when all your twigs are at the dead end phase. If only I could read German!
      I think that I have been spammed.

      Seriously, thanks. I will get back to you in the morning.

      Edit: Was there anything which you found in German that could be relevant? You sent only one German document, a death record from Karlsruhe which I had no trouble reading.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-01-2017, 10:29 PM.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

        Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Just spent a lovely few hours digging in RFAlph's dead people. It is sometimes a breath of fresh air to do someone else's tree when all your twigs are at the dead end phase. If only I could read German!
        Huh.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

          I'm starting to crack Norway...just got another foothold, and the first one over there for my mom's side of the family. The bonus is, the village they are from is right off of the road from Oslo to Stockholm, so we can visit on our trip later this year.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

          RIP - Kirby

          Comment


          • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

            Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I think that I have been spammed.

            Seriously, thanks. I will get back to you in the morning.

            Edit: Was there anything which you found in German that could be relevant? You sent only one German document, a death record from Karlsruhe which I had no trouble reading.
            I thought I sent a few things that were birth records. Shoot. That means they didn't send. Now if I could only remember how I fond them. I had about 100 tabs open!

            Comment


            • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

              OK, I found them and resent. Hopefully they got to you

              Comment


              • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                Good to know scientists work weekends.

                Got my Ancestry DNA results back. Only took about 6.5 weeks. Fairly detailed info and videos on how they test.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

                Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                Comment


                • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                  Sorted through a whole pile of papers I got from one of my mom's relatives. Found a (former) US Representative, NFL Player, and a father-son bush plane pilot team that crashed in AK, and hiked all the way out to safety. Fun Stuff!
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                  RIP - Kirby

                  Comment


                  • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                    Cool!!

                    Comment


                    • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                      So, I got my NatGeo results last month - . 55% Northern Europe/British Isles (makes complete sense - mom's family is mostly British/Irish), with 35% Eastern Europe (OK - dad's family was said to be Czech or Polish).

                      10% Southern Europe though? Either we have some very amorous Greeks or Baltic residents in the lines, or we have random Italians/Spaniards/southern French.

                      Mom: "You know you'll spend the rest of your life solving this mystery."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        So, I got my NatGeo results last month - . 55% Northern Europe/British Isles (makes complete sense - mom's family is mostly British/Irish), with 35% Eastern Europe (OK - dad's family was said to be Czech or Polish).

                        10% Southern Europe though? Either we have some very amorous Greeks or Baltic residents in the lines, or we have random Italians/Spaniards/southern French.

                        Mom: "You know you'll spend the rest of your life solving this mystery."
                        Some of my family did dna tests and I thought the results as far as percentage were pretty useless. At best it's an educated guess.

                        With that being said, I started doing some research and putting together a family tree a couple months ago and it is something I have throroughly enjoyed. I like history a lot anyway and it's been really neat to learn who I'm related to from back in the day. I have found I'm related to quite a few mayflower passengers along with other important people during the early days of our country. My only regret is I didn't start doing this sooner.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                        Comment


                        • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                          Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Some of my family did dna tests and I thought the results as far as percentage were pretty useless. At best it's an educated guess.

                          With that being said, I started doing some research and putting together a family tree a couple months ago and it is something I have throroughly enjoyed. I like history a lot anyway and it's been really neat to learn who I'm related to from back in the day. I have found I'm related to quite a few mayflower passengers along with other important people during the early days of our country. My only regret is I didn't start doing this sooner.
                          If you are related to Mayflower people etc then New England Genealogy Society has a lot of stuff there past the Mayflower assocs

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            If you are related to Mayflower people etc then New England Genealogy Society has a lot of stuff there past the Mayflower assocs
                            I'm actually in the process of getting some help from them for some of the places I've run into cul de sacs. I'm lucky around here there are so many resources and so much work has already been done.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                            Comment


                            • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                              Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I'm actually in the process of getting some help from them for some of the places I've run into cul de sacs. I'm lucky around here there are so many resources and so much work has already been done.
                              Cool
                              I spent more than a little time there yrs ago. That and the Archives on Columbia point

                              Comment


                              • Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                                http://www.findmypast.co.uk/british-...amily-history/ free access for a few days

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X