Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

    Does anyone know about the records from Ellis Island having family names on them? My great-grandparents came from Russia through there, however, their name was changed from it's Russian original to a German last name with no connection to my relatives. There are no living relatives from that generation or the subsequent one are alive/available to ask about this.

  • #2
    Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

    You'd need shipping lists. I THINK Ellis Island has what boat your ancestors came in on. Then you have to cross reference.

    My cousin has them when my maternal great grandfather and his bride came on the boat from Hamburg. Maltz was not anglicized when they got here. Other maternal grandparents came from Mountcharles, Ireland. I'm not sure when they got here but grandfather was born in Philly and ggf was born in Ireland.

    Paternal side - gf NYC born and died. ggf was a member of 14th New Jersey in the Civil War. Before that and grandmothers side, no idea.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

      No one made a list with both old and new names when people arrived. If there is a list when the ship embarked (and if I remember most Hamburg lists were mostly destroyed and Bremen exists) it should have the original name but it would be difficult to compare with the arriving list.


      Edit: it was the Bremen ones which were destroyed.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-22-2015, 11:55 AM.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

        Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        Does anyone know about the records from Ellis Island having family names on them? My great-grandparents came from Russia through there, however, their name was changed from it's Russian original to a German last name with no connection to my relatives. There are no living relatives from that generation or the subsequent one are alive/available to ask about this.
        When this happened in my family line (names changing from German to Hungarian to Slovak as the political functionaries changed), people used to use all the names simultaneously for different purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't revert to the old names in some record (Census, marriage, obituary), and of course in their correspondence.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          No one made a list with both old and new names when people arrived. If there is a list when the ship embarked (and if I remember most Hamburg lists were mostly destroyed and Bremen exists) it should have the original name but it would be difficult to compare with the arriving list.
          If you can find the ship records it might actually be pretty straightforward, because typically the names are grouped in families (and the families are pretty big). So if the Westpreuß family with Albrecht, Kersten, Wilfired and Ottokar got on the boat and the West family with Albert, Christine, Fred and Otto got off...
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

            Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            If you can find the ship records it might actually be pretty straightforward, because typically the names are grouped in families (and the families are pretty big). So if the Westpreuß family with Albrecht, Kersten, Wilfired and Ottokar got on the boat and the West family with Albert, Christine, Fred and Otto got off...
            Ellis Island has the manifests. To view the log, either make the trip to NJ or pay for the manifest online.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

              Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Ellis Island has the manifests. To view the log, either make the trip to NJ or pay for the manifest online.
              It looks like there are departure lists at other country's sites, too.

              Although thinking about it, even that might not help, since many (most?) immigrants embarked from a port far from home, perhaps after several hops. For example, my Czech ancestors left from Liverpool, my Italians from Le Havre. The Norwegians OTOH only had to make it to Bergen.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                I got a Facebook message a couple years back from a guy in Sweden who was way too excited to tell me he was a distant relative. I was really skeptical, because while I'm 1/8 Swedish, I had only ever heard of it coming from my dad's side, and this guy was talking about people from my mom's side. Decided to respond anyway. Turns out he's just a dude in a pub band who really likes genealogy. Sent me this huge tale that ended with the fact that I'm related to Cleopatra, but I think everyone is in some way. Then he started to get into stuff that was more relevant to my family.

                It ended up we were very distant, like only due to marriage a couple generations back, so nothing that would show up on a blood test I believe. Gave another story about how another distant relative (this one blood related) was in the Revolutionary War. Then he said he was coming to visit some 2nd and 3rd cousins of mine in Michigan in a few months. It still seemed really weird, but I never heard anything about a mass murder and he's still posting on Facebook so I figure it must be legit.

                I'd like to get into it sometime, but it seems pretty arduous and can get pretty costly if you wanna find a lot of info, although the DNA test is only like $99 so I guess that's not terrible.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                1966, 1986, 2007

                Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  I got a Facebook message a couple years back from a guy in Sweden who was way too excited to tell me he was a distant relative. I was really skeptical, because while I'm 1/8 Swedish, I had only ever heard of it coming from my dad's side, and this guy was talking about people from my mom's side. Decided to respond anyway. Turns out he's just a dude in a pub band who really likes genealogy. Sent me this huge tale that ended with the fact that I'm related to Cleopatra, but I think everyone is in some way. Then he started to get into stuff that was more relevant to my family.

                  It ended up we were very distant, like only due to marriage a couple generations back, so nothing that would show up on a blood test I believe. Gave another story about how another distant relative (this one blood related) was in the Revolutionary War. Then he said he was coming to visit some 2nd and 3rd cousins of mine in Michigan in a few months. It still seemed really weird, but I never heard anything about a mass murder and he's still posting on Facebook so I figure it must be legit.

                  I'd like to get into it sometime, but it seems pretty arduous and can get pretty costly if you wanna find a lot of info, although the DNA test is only like $99 so I guess that's not terrible.
                  When the Nigerians call.......
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                  ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                  I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                    I would consider doing the DNA test just to finally try and nail down the issue of what Northern/Eastern European ethnic groups my dad's side of the family are.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                      Thanks! At least I have a few jumping off points to start, I suppose. Will have to see what I can find, but am not hopeful. Paternal great-grandparents are from Kiev, not sure where maternal great -grandparents are from and any information is gone.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                        Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        I got a Facebook message a couple years back from a guy in Sweden who was way too excited to tell me he was a distant relative. I was really skeptical, because while I'm 1/8 Swedish, I had only ever heard of it coming from my dad's side, and this guy was talking about people from my mom's side. Decided to respond anyway. Turns out he's just a dude in a pub band who really likes genealogy. Sent me this huge tale that ended with the fact that I'm related to Cleopatra, but I think everyone is in some way. Then he started to get into stuff that was more relevant to my family.

                        It ended up we were very distant, like only due to marriage a couple generations back, so nothing that would show up on a blood test I believe. Gave another story about how another distant relative (this one blood related) was in the Revolutionary War. Then he said he was coming to visit some 2nd and 3rd cousins of mine in Michigan in a few months. It still seemed really weird, but I never heard anything about a mass murder and he's still posting on Facebook so I figure it must be legit.

                        I'd like to get into it sometime, but it seems pretty arduous and can get pretty costly if you wanna find a lot of info, although the DNA test is only like $99 so I guess that's not terrible.
                        Pretty sure the family folklore is true, and I'd rather believe that than find out something bad.

                        Maternal great-grandparents on my grandma's side came over on the boat from Oslo (that is actually fact) in the early 1900s. Enoch and Lenorah. Yeah.

                        Paternal grandparents were Irish/English (dad, mom). Great grandparents were off the boat from Ireland, both sides (lore handed down verbally).

                        So, I'm mostly Irish, secondary Norwegian, and some other minor heritages (Gypsy [not the Romanian people, btw], English, a touch of Swedish).
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                          I was born a poor black child.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                            Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I was born a poor black child.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHL0y6xvLE
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

                              I've had an ancestry membership for a while. Pretty cool stuff. I splurged for the world explorer when I started to run into dead ends.

                              I always keep two trees. One verified tree and one unverified tree. The unverified is usually when I can only find one piece of evidence or sources conflict or someone else has done the research.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X