Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    My right as an American to hate it. And, my sentiments on Obama are not much different then most others. It's well documented.
    I am not denying you your rights...in fact I love when you voice an opinion it takes balls to be wrong so often publicly and still come back for more!

Hell I am not even that big of an Obama defender, but jesus I will defer to him on this matter long before I will trust the opinions of some Internet Geniuses. He has 100000 times the information and experience in these matters than all of us combined. With his knowledge of the law, his knowledge of all the candidates and his experience dealing with The No Brigade I will trust he knows what he is doing.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Oh, I think if you combine it with the Dem Landslide scenario then she'll be all over nominating liberals. All of my predictions and evaluations of the Clintons are predicated on the assumption that they are sociopaths with no beliefs and no moral compass. They're like political capitalists -- they'll put any input into the machine if it moves more units. They are motivated purely by power -- their Maslow hierarchy is a ziggurat that flattens at "esteem." If Hillary was somehow elected during a conservative wave election, she'd become a conservative. They are Zelig.

Umm...you DO realize Clinton gave the court RBG and Breyer, right?

The notion that a Dem would appoint someone that would uphold Citizens United is as fuking ridiculous as Bernie Sanders tax plans. Its like worrying that Hillary will appoint someone who'd overturn Roe v Wade. At some point you have to spend time in reality with the rest of us not named Scooby, Kep.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

The notion that a Dem would appoint someone that would uphold Citizens United is as fuking ridiculous as Bernie Sanders tax plans. Its like worrying that Hillary will appoint someone who'd overturn Roe v Wade. At some point you have to spend time in reality with the rest of us not named Scooby, Kep.
        Yes, yes, I'm the outlier. I'm the insanity. Sports, Politics, whatever, I am clearly the lunatic fringe.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Statement from the GOP head of the Judiciary Committee on the nominee.

http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/...-supreme-court

Senator Chuck Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, made the following statement after President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland, the Chief Judge on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court of the United States.

“When they structured our nation, the founders placed trust in three separate but equal branches of government. Co-equal authorities are throughout the Constitution, including Article II, Section 2, where the power to nominate an individual to the Supreme Court is granted to the President and authority is given to the Senate to provide advice and consent. Nowhere in the Constitution does it describe how the Senate should either provide its consent or withhold its consent.

“Today the President has exercised his constitutional authority. A majority of the Senate has decided to fulfill its constitutional role of advice and consent by withholding support for the nomination during a presidential election year, with millions of votes having been cast in highly charged contests. As Vice President Biden previously said, it’s a political cauldron to avoid. Judge Bork learned even after being unanimously confirmed for a circuit court judgeship, the confirmation process for the Supreme Court is unlike any other.

“It’s also important to remember the type of nominee President Obama said he’s seeking. He says his nominee will arrive at ‘just decisions and fair outcomes’ based on the application of ‘life experience’ to the ‘rapidly changing times.’ The so-called empathy standard is not an appropriate basis for selecting a Supreme Court nominee.

“A lifetime appointment that could dramatically impact individual freedoms and change the direction of the court for at least a generation is too important to get bogged down in politics. The American people shouldn’t be denied a voice. Do we want a court that interprets the law, or do we want a court that acts as an unelected super legislature? This year is a tremendous opportunity for our country to have a sincere and honest debate about the role of the Supreme Court in our constitutional system of government.”
          In other words. All you people who voted for Obama and got him elected twice. You don't count. But, yeah, Obama's playing GO.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Yes, yes, I'm the outlier. I'm the insanity. Sports, Politics, whatever, I am clearly the lunatic fringe.
            I have no idea about your leanings in sporting matters Scooby.

I think Bernie Sanders has given voice to a lot of left wing conspiracy theorists. Of which you and Kep are charter members. That's cool but at some point it gets a bit old.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Oh, I think if you combine it with the Dem Landslide scenario then she'll be all over nominating liberals. All of my predictions and evaluations of the Clintons are predicated on the assumption that they are sociopaths with no beliefs and no moral compass. They're like political capitalists -- they'll put any input into the machine if it moves more units. They are motivated purely by power -- their Maslow hierarchy is a ziggurat that flattens at "esteem." If Hillary was somehow elected during a conservative wave election, she'd become a conservative. They are Zelig.
              I like your posts. They make me learn good words.

( Seriously though, I have to breakout a dictionary every time. That's a good thing. Especially since you aren't tossing them out like this guy
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I have no idea about your leanings in sporting matters Scooby.
                He's a bastion of positivity on all things Minnesota sports.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I realize that the Clintons follow the path of political expediency, from DADT to welfare "reform" to mass incarceration. The Clintons do what's good for them.

It's entirely possible that the Clintons will accidentally also do what's best for the country, if it serves their purposes. And this is of course something that is part of every politician's makeup. With the Clintons it is simply something extreme like, again, a Nixon. It's just that the environmental conditions have to be right. If the Clintons align with your agenda they're great to have, because they are tough and mean and play the game like death is on the line.

They're a great weapon to have, as long as you have the kill switch.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    If nothing else, the Full Faith and Credit Clause makes a state solution impossible. You're married in NY but when you move to TX you're not? What?
                    No. The solution was to say that a state can make its own laws regarding marriage but must respect and honor the marriage laws of other states. That would have given both sides what they wanted and enabled the legislative solution.

Remember the "Nevada quickie" divorces? They were good in every state even if that state had more restrictive divorce laws.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      No. The solution was to say that a state can make its own laws regarding marriage but must respect and honor the marriage laws of other states. That would have given both sides what they wanted and enabled the legislative solution.

Remember the "Nevada quickie" divorces? They were good in every state even if that state had more restrictive divorce laws.
                      Would that have been an acceptable solution for interracial marriage? Alabama doesn't have to allow it, but if an already married couple moves to Alabama they get to stay married? Meanwhile their neighbors, who also happen to be an interracial couple, can't get married without first traveling to some other state that recognizes it?

Just stop joe. You're an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        Would that have been an acceptable solution for interracial marriage? Alabama doesn't have to allow it, but if an already married couple moves to Alabama they get to stay married? Meanwhile their neighbors, who also happen to be an interracial couple, can't get married without first traveling to some other state that recognizes it?

Just stop joe. You're an idiot.
                        Age of consent to marry varies from State to State. When Harry, who is 21, legally marries 15 year old Sally in the State of Hawaii and then moves to Jersey City, he's still legally married, despite what the State of New Jersey may think about it.

If he met Sally in Atlantic City, he'd have to wait until she's 16 if he can get parental consent or 18 if not.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Age of consent to marry varies from State to State. When Harry, who is 21, legally marries 15 year old Sally in the State of Hawaii and then moves to Jersey City, he's still legally married, despite what the State of New Jersey may think about it.

If he met Sally in Atlantic City, he'd have to wait until she's 16 if he can get parental consent or 18 if not.
                          Yet we saw states that were specifically passing laws that would violate that same Full Faith and Credit clause found in the US Constitution that they'd always been happy to honor prior to the push for homosexual marriage. It's either bigoted or allowing religion to dictate law to the irreligious. Regardless of the answer, it's not acceptable.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...supreme-court/

Comment

Working...
                            X