Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Because every white guy I know thinks Halle Berry is drop dead gorgeous and a good number of the same white guys think two guys getting busy with each other is icky.
    In 1862, slave owners raped their female slaves, most likely because they found them attractive (and for certain because they considered them chattels). But most of those same people did not support allowing whites to marry their slaves. The culture they lived in was against it, typically because most people felt it was against God's plan. The trial judge in Loving stated as much:

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

That statement was made by an educated and law-trained judge in the 1960s, a full century after the Emancipation Proclamation. Given time, nearly all of us have come to believe that idea is utter nonsense and that such bigotry cannot be and never has been sanctioned by God. Racial discrimination is not the last form of bigotry and intolerance we will eventually outgrow and cease laying at God's feet.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      In 1862, slave owners raped their female slaves, most likely because they found them attractive (and for certain because they considered them chattels). But most of those same people did not support allowing whites to marry their slaves. The culture they lived in was against it, typically because most people felt it was against God's plan. The trial judge in Loving stated as much:

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

That statement was made by an educated and law-trained judge in the 1960s, a full century after the Emancipation Proclamation. Given time, nearly all of us have come to believe that idea is utter nonsense and that such bigotry cannot be and never has been sanctioned by God. Racial discrimination is not the last form of bigotry and intolerance we will eventually outgrow and cease laying at God's feet.
      It wasn't limited to slaves. Remember Droit du seigneur?

In modern times Zaire's president Mobutu Sese Seko appropriated the droit de cuissage when traveling around the country where local chiefs offered him virgins; this was considered a great honor for the virgin's family.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        It wasn't limited to slaves. Remember Droit du seigneur?
        Wow. I wonder if "the virgin's family" includes the virgin.

Comment

unofan - you may be interested in this web blog.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Kim Davis asks Kentucky governor to free her
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              In honor of the recently departed Specials' trombonist, let's put that in perspective.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Resubscribed because Kim Davis refused to accept my original post.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

unofan - you may be interested in this web blog.
                  Why do you think cannon law matters in this situation?

As it appears to me, that she is exercising her religion on behalf of the government, she is clearly in violation of the First Amendment, and the establishment clause. In other words, the the government can't use religion as a reason to do or not to do something.

I'm not sure how one argues around that.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Why do you think cannon law matters in this situation?

As it appears to me, that she is exercising her religion on behalf of the government, she is clearly in violation of the First Amendment, and the establishment clause. In other words, the the government can't use religion as a reason to do or not to do something.

I'm not sure how one argues around that.
                    One n. Canon. But with you a lawyer, i figured you'd be interested. Guess I was wrong.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One n. Canon. But with you a lawyer, i figured you'd be interested. Guess I was wrong.
                      Fortunately, the Obama administration also did away with torture, so what that author did to logic in that article is now essentially illegal.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, and the hypocritical argument may be interesting, but I also don't find it applicable.

I could care less of her hypocrisy, especially in the eyes of her religion. In the end, I'm not the one who will judge that- that's up to her God. All I see is someone trying to force the government to take sides in religion or not. The law clearly says not, and has for the entity of the current Constitution and Bill of Rights. In this case, you are right, I don't find this argument interesting at all.

If anything, arguing cannon law for this case is a distraction of what is applicable. The SCOTUS has said that states may not discriminate of what two people get married relative to the sex of the two who are entering this consented contract. A government official may not use religion to apply their individual will onto that.

Comment

As far as the Kim Davis ordeal goes I think too many are losing sight of the only thing that really matters: She took an oath, and she is not living up to it.

She swears to "her God" that she will do what the law of her county states. Her county must also follow the laws of the land. No where in the oath is there any allowance for any sort of qualification on what tasks she will perform, and certainly NOT any qualification based on religion, which in and of itself would be unconstitutional language. She absolutely CANNOT refuse to issue marriage licenses simply because of the gender of one or both of the applicants. This is now the law. She took an oath to follow the law.

If she doesn't agree with any of this because of her religious beliefs she must resign. Based on the wording the Supreme Court's ruling and the construction of the legal oath she swore to, this is black letter law. I happen to believe she doesn't have a moral or ethical leg to stand on. There is no doubt she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. And God help us all if we ever become a nation of something other than laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Sure thing, Bob.
                            You betcha.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Sounds like she's going to be released from jail today.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Sounds like she's going to be released from jail today.
                                Question remains, will she do her job, or go back to being a doosh?
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X