Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I agree with your 1st sentence. Justice Kennedy thought otherwise.
    Well, there is a difference between saying the 14th does not apply to a law and saying it applies but the law passed the applicable test. I was just wondering if you were saying marriage laws should be excepted from 14th A analysis.

I may be just picking nits.

Comment

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

An article on RFRA and Ms. Davis. Good points on how to solve the issue.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Minorities were settled in Loving and, I'm sure, the various civil rights acts.
        And gays were settled in Obergefell. What's your point? You said you disagreed with this ruling and I'm asking why you don't disagree with Loving for the same reason (that you stated).
        Last edited by GrinCDXX; 09-05-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

No. No. What I wanted was
          1. SCOTUS to affirm the right that each state may determine who can get married within its borders.
          2. SCOTUS validates the existing law that a marriage (or divorce) enacted in State A is valid in the rest of the USA.

The results allows everyone to be happy.

Old timers will remember the special spot that Elkton, MD occupied along the East Coast.
          Except for people too poor to go to another state to get married.

And by that logic, it sounds as though you'd be fine if the south stl prohibited interracial marriage, so long as they were forced to recognize such a marriage from Yankee-dom.

Yeah, no. We're not going back 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            And gays were settled in Obergefell. What's your point? You said you disagreed with this ruling and I'm asking why you don't disagree with Loving for the same reason (that you stated).
            Because god only dislikes minorities but he hates Gays!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Minorities were settled in Loving and, I'm sure, the various civil rights acts.
              This makes no sense. How do you logically believe Loving was correctly decided but not Obergefell?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Except for people too poor to go to another state to get married.

And by that logic, it sounds as though you'd be fine if the south stl prohibited interracial marriage, so long as they were forced to recognize such a marriage from Yankee-dom.

Yeah, no. We're not going back 50 years.
                a) How did they get married when State A had a required blood test and waiting period and State B did not? How did they get divorced when one State did quickies and other states made it exceedingly difficult? They figured out the answers and if they wanted it to happen bad enough, they made it happen.

b) No. Never said that.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

This makes no sense. How do you logically believe Loving was correctly decided but not Obergefell?
                  Is SSM a civil right? The SSM supporters managed to convince the courts, some legislators, and voters that it is. I don't think it is, but the SCOTUS disagrees with my opinion.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Is SSM a civil right? The SSM supporters managed to convince the courts, some legislators, and voters that it is. I don't think it is, but the SCOTUS disagrees with my opinion.
                    You look at it as same sex marriage- others look at it as treating all people exactly the same. That's not only my point, but unofan's, too- based on his posts.

So by the measure of treating all people the same, and giving all couples the same protections and rules, yes, SSM is a civil right. Just another equal right, among many.

Comment

Let's replace same sex with interracial...

Is interracial marriage a civil right? The IM supporters managed to convince the courts, some legislators, and voters that it is. I don't think it is, but the SCOTUS disagrees with my opinion.
                      How is this any different than what you actually posted?

Again, I'm not getting how you are distinguishing Loving from Obergefell. The only difference is changing race to sexual orientation. Both rely on the 14th Amendment, both made state laws that banned them unconstitutional, both were opposed on religious/natural law grounds.

So what logically differentiates them?
                      Last edited by unofan; 09-05-2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

The St. Lawrence County (NY) DA defies the court.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Can't tell from the article: incompetent or criminal?
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Inevitable, but still funny.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Interesting.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Because every white guy I know thinks Halle Berry is drop dead gorgeous and a good number of the same white guys think two guys getting busy with each other is icky.

This whole argument and the divisiveness is has caused really fries my hash anymore and its time to start calling this like it is. I guess that makes me as close minded as the people who oppose marriage equality. Well guess what, I'll tell you the same thing I've told all the Texas fans who bloviated about how they were going to come into my stadium and win:

SCOREBOARD.

The gay marriage issue is settled. The highest court in the freeking land said so. Freeking live with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X